all posts post new thread

Old Forum Sleeping Injury??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisS

Level 5 Valued Member
A couple weeks ago

I went on vacation(holiday) for a week.  I didn’t work out at all but was very active all week.  I came home and a week ago today I got up to do my S&S and my left shoulder was bothering me.  I sleep on my side a lot and figured I just slept on it wrong and it would go away in a day or so.

It wasn’t muscle soreness from overuse or anything.  It feels like a rotator issue.  My shoulder gets sharp pains when it moves in certain positions.  I pretty much took off doing S&S for an additional week(last week) and still today its bothering me.  I figured out this morning that I can do certain movements without pain(cleans and light presses).  Gets-ups bother it as well as other movements that push the shoulder back.  Swings seem to feel ok but don’t want to injure anything further if indeed something is injured.

I’ve never heard of someone getting  injured from sleeping on their arm wrong.

Weird thing is I’ve never injured it previously or had any issues prior to leaving on vacation.  I felt strong  the whole time I’ve been doing S&S and now I can’t even do getups.

I’m not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Travis, I'd see if I could figure out if something was tight and then stretch it.  And if, after a few days, I couldn't make it better - and you've had those few days already - I'd be going to the doctor.

There is no law that says you can't hurt yourself while sleeping.  Once every few years, I manage to sprain my left wrist while sleeping, something about how I have my hand under my pillow.  I wear a wrist brace for a few nights and that seems to fix it.  It sounds funny but it does happen.

Mind you, my left wrist is prone to doing this - how it got to be fragile isn't something I can explain, and it generally doesn't bother me in the slightest, but like the bumper sticker says, stuff happens.

It makes sense to me that something you did on vacation is at the root of the problem, but that and 50 cents will get you a subway ride - time for this to start getting better on its own or for you to see a doctor.

-S-

I was riding dirtbikes on vacation, so it was quite an intense activity but it never bothered me once during that time.  I also got home on Thursday and didn't notice anything until Monday morning......

Yesterday marks a week since its been bothering me and I've been taking it easy doing very little to agitate it.

The singer Eddie Money has a partially paralyzed face from sleeping on it after a methamphetamine binge. A friend of mine, while on a bicycle tour of Ireland, stayed overnight with a former heroin addict who had to have his hand amputated after sleeping on it for an extended time. They are extreme examples but I have woken many times with one arm asleep. If I had slept like through the night and beyond, who knows what the outcome may have been.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom