all posts post new thread

Slowly But Surely

Gary Logue

Level 4 Valued Member
This log is to track my progress towards long term goals after a break from strength training.

I’m currently running RoP for the next 12 weeks. My plan is to then move to Faleevs 5x5.

I am following the plan from the ETK book, inc pull ups in between presses. My variety days will be left to do what I feel like, for now I’m taking a tip from the book and doing deadlifts PTTP style and adding in planks, “easy but not light” (read this somewhere, think it’s the book). Also as per the book I’m GTG with pistols.

I posted on the forum regarding my long term goals around 18 months ago (link below, it’s a decent thread). Since this I’ve lost sight of my beacon, it’s time to start moving in the right direction again. Slowly but surely.

In a nutshell, my long term targets consists of the below. My current state as of 30.01.23 hasn’t changed much since the below post, my big 3 has reduced by 5-10%. Current weight 75kg. Time to get to work!

Targets:
• Beast Tamer
• Sinister
• 200x snatch in 10 minutes - 32kg bell
• DL & Squat - 3x BW
• Bench - 2x BW

Details for my own review when training:

W1:
Monday - C&P with 20kg, BW Pull Ups & Easy Snatches - 1 x 1, 2, 3
Tuesday - Deadlift (few rounds of planks to finish off) - 80kg - 2 x 5
Wednesday - C&P with 20kg, BW Pull Ups & Medium Swings - 2 x 1, 2, 3
Thursday - Deadlift (few rounds of planks to finish off) - 82.5kg - 2 x 5
Friday - Off
Saturday - C&P with 20kg, BW Pull Ups & All Out Swings - 3 x 1, 2, 3
Sunday - Off

GTG - Pistols 8kg
Mobility - Pressing Reset most evenings

Rules -

RoP:
Snatch - 16kg increase if test goes well every 4-8 weeks
Swing - 24kg increase when it feels easy
Press - 20kg increase when 5 x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is achieved
Ladders - W1 start with 3, increase to 4 in W2 and then 5 in W3. When achieved push to 5 x 1, 2, 3, 4. When achieved push to 5 x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Pull Ups - BW until 5 x 1, 2, 3. When achieved add weight.
Deadlifts - Add 2.5kg each workout. Assess when plateau.
Pistols - Add weight when easy

Monday 30th January

C&P with 24kg & Pull Ups - 1 x 1, 2, 3
Easy Snatches - 16kg for 6 minutes - 60 total

Notes - 24kg is too heavy, I achieved the 5-8 during testing as prescribed in the book but only 5 and the last rep was pushing the barriers of being a clean technical rep. Drop the ego, drop it to 20kg.

May have slightly twinged my neck first day back! If so then follow the book and drop snatches for swings and presses for light get ups.

Wednesday February 1rst

Medium Day:
C&P with Pull Ups - 20kg 2 x 1, 2, 3
1H Swings - 24kg 70no in 7 minutes
2H Swings - 32kg 10no in 1 minutes

Notes - Rolled dice for 7 minutes. Added the 2H swings of 32kg at the end to see how it would feel, it wasn’t hard but it wasn’t easy. I did however find it funny at the thought of trying to snatch it 200 times in 10 minutes.

Notes GTG - I’ve been struggling to complete a single rep of the pistol using 8kg this week. I remembered reading somewhere, might have been Fabio Zonin, that sometimes you need extra weight to help balance (paraphrasing) so I tried the 16kg and boom, hit it on each leg, no problem.

Last edited:
Thursday February 2nd

Variety Day:
KB Deadlifts - 32kg - 10 reps
BB Deadlifts - 82.5kg - 2 x 5 reps

GTG Pistols - 20kg - 8L 8R

Good to see you've decided to dive straight in with a solid plan mate, hopefully all works out well for you. One thing I've noticed is you C+P ladders for L and M days aren't by the book, not sure if that's by design or not.

I like the idea of adding weight when you hit 5x123 for the pullups though.

I'm planning on running ROP after my current run of The Giant, with the 20kg as well, and I'm sitting around 72kg so I'm keen to see how you get on!

Good to see you've decided to dive straight in with a solid plan mate, hopefully all works out well for you. One thing I've noticed is you C+P ladders for L and M days aren't by the book, not sure if that's by design or not.

I like the idea of adding weight when you hit 5x123 for the pullups though.

I'm planning on running ROP after my current run of The Giant, with the 20kg as well, and I'm sitting around 72kg so I'm keen to see how you get on!
Yeah that’s going to interesting as I’m sitting around 75kg, good to keep track of each others progress.

I was pretty sure I was following the book. Page 208 on the kindle version calls to start your RoP with 3 ladders of 1, 2, 3 then move up to 4 ladders on W2, up to 5 ladders on W3 and then increase to 1,2, 3 & 4 on W4. The medium days I’m 1 ladder less than heavy and on easy day I’m 2 ladders less than heavy day. The easy and medium days will naturally increase as they follow the heavy days.

Did you interpret this differently?

Yeah that’s going to interesting as I’m sitting around 75kg, good to keep track of each others progress.

I was pretty sure I was following the book. Page 208 on the kindle version calls to start your RoP with 3 ladders of 1, 2, 3 then move up to 4 ladders on W2, up to 5 ladders on W3 and then increase to 1,2, 3 & 4 on W4. The medium days I’m 1 ladder less than heavy and on easy day I’m 2 ladders less than heavy day. The easy and medium days will naturally increase as they follow the heavy days.

Did you interpret this differently?
The way I interpreted the light day was 2 rungs less than heavy, medium 1 rung less than heavy day.

Ie heavy is 3x(1,2,3) means lights is 3x(1), medium is 3x(1,2). It's page 136 in the hard copy book, not sure about the kindle version.

The way I interpreted the light day was 2 rungs less than heavy, medium 1 rung less than heavy day.

Ie heavy is 3x(1,2,3) means lights is 3x(1), medium is 3x(1,2). It's page 136 in the hard copy book, not sure about the kindle version.
Yes, I get you, it should be rungs less instead of ladders less. Thank you!

Saturday February 4th

Heavy Day:

C&P - 20kg - 3 x 1, 2, 3
Pull Ups - BW - 3 x 1, 2, 3
1H Swings - 24kg - 6 minutes rolled - 120 reps

Deadlift Test prior to daily dose:
Raw - 135kg
With wraps - 145kg

Monday February 6th

RoP Easy Day:

C&P - 20kg - 4 x 1
Pull Ups - BW + 5kg - 4 x 1
Snatches - 16kg - 11 minutes - 89 reps

Daily Dose Deadlift Plan:
DL - 102.5kg - 5 x 1
Last rep hold - 14 seconds

Last edited:
Thursday February 9th

Medium Day:

C&P - 20kg - 4 x 1, 2
OHWPU - BW + 5kg - 4 x 1, 2
1H Swings - 24kg - 7 minutes - 99 reps

DDDP:
Deadlift - 102.5kg - 5 x 1
Last rep hold - 24 seconds

Notes:
Slight twinge on other side of the next from this morning, need to keep an eye. Switch my days around due to work, tomorrow is variety day and Saturday will still be heavy day.

Last edited:
Friday 10th February

Variety Day

DDDP:

Hold on last rep = 26 seconds

Notes - Played around after deadlifts with some shrugs, curls and planking.

Saturday February 11th

Heavy Day:

C&P - 20kg - 4 x 1,2,3
OHWPU - BW + 5kg - 3 x 1,2,3
Swings - 24kg - 3 minutes - 60 reps

DDDP:
Last rep hold - 25 secs
Kneeling Ab Wheel - 2 x 10

Notes - Used my 10kg club for the first time in a while today, did 10no halos. May start using this as part of my warm up going forward.

Back
Top Bottom