all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatch protocol Kettlebell 201 - a clarification question

EmanuelePapa

First Post
I am training with the snatch progression indicated in the program given to me in the workshop kettlebell 201.

Progression involves running a certain range of series and repetitions until the average session time required to complete the given amount of work improves for two weeks.

20 x 5 = 100
17 x 6 = 102
15 x 7 = 105
etc...

Since it is difficult to obtain exactly the same data (average time of sessions in a week) from one week to the next I would ask you what is the difference in seconds of improvement between a week and another that goes to indicate a cessation of improvement.

Alternatively, is it better to wait until there is an average time of the current week equal to or slightly lower than the previous one?

Thank you in advance for the advices

I am training with the snatch progression indicated in the program given to me in the workshop kettlebell 201.

Progression involves running a certain range of series and repetitions until the average session time required to complete the given amount of work improves for two weeks.

20 x 5 = 100
17 x 6 = 102
15 x 7 = 105
etc...

Since it is difficult to obtain exactly the same data (average time of sessions in a week) from one week to the next I would ask you what is the difference in seconds of improvement between a week and another that goes to indicate a cessation of improvement.

Alternatively, is it better to wait until there is an average time of the current week equal to or slightly lower than the previous one?

Since you are working timeless, you can repeat one session until it feels relatively easy..

The top of that plan is 10+10x7 so if you get to the point you are doing that on the minute, that gives you the snatch test by default

If you log times, and put them into a spreadsheet, no doubt you'll fin trend lines in the data.
Since you are working timeless, you can repeat one session until it feels relatively easy..
There is such a thing, I promise @EmanuelePapa , as continuing on with the same weights and noticing one day that the bell is a little too light, and a little too easy.

E.g. After about 6 months of snatching the 24kg bell, I noticed that I might be in need of a 28kg bell.

To oversimplify a bit, "when it's time, you'll know"

Last edited:

20 x 5 = 100
17 x 6 = 102
15 x 7 = 105
etc...

Mark,

The routine is 5 reps x 20 sets (not 5+5) and progresses to 10 sets of 10 (not 10+10).

But the advice to stay at a specific level until the RPE drops is solid.

Ok so popped open my 201 manual just now to give more insights..

Since you are doing 20x5 initially and the goal is to pass the talk test each set, avoid thinking about how fast you finish (if it takes half an hour, that's fine)

What you are aiming for is gradual improvement in time completed..

A 20x5 session can look like this

Week 1 Time completed 30 mins effort level 7
Week 2 Time completed 29 mins effort level 8

Week 3 time completed 27:45 effort level 7

Week 4 27:00 effort level 8

And so on, and so forth

When after 2 weeks you can't decrease time completed, (for example you peak at 10 minutes and it stays there) move to the next progression

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom