all posts post new thread

Old Forum Snatch versus LCCJ

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marino

Level 5 Valued Member
A while ago there was a blog post comparing the swing and the snatch. Could someone put up a post comparing the snatch with the long cycle clean and jerk? The LCCJ is easier to learn and is easier on the skin of the hands but I can't help thinking that if the snatch has been described as the tsar of kettlebell moves there must be some unique benefit from doing it compared to other lifts.

Thanks.

David, it's truly all good. I think the best thing for you would be to try LCCJ yourself for a while and see what you think as compared to the snatch. One should be able to perform all the basic lifts with a moderately heavy weight and good technique, of course.

The training effect will vary not only based on the lift but on the protocol as well - sets, reps, days of the week, how heavy a weight, etc. Whether you mean LCCJ with one or two kettlebells is perhaps the biggest variable.

Perhaps a better question is, "Where do you want to go?" and then we can discuss ways that might help you get there. If your goal is very general, then just pick a lift and a routine and work on it until you feel it gets stale - then try something else. Keep to one program for a minimum of three months would be my advice.

-S-

In my experience, (especially double) LCCJ is the most demanding of all kettlebell exercises. You can go for a relatively high number of reps while working with virtually every bigger muscle group of the body and going through many fundamental human movements (hinge, squat, push at least). In this sense I find LCCJ more 'versatile' than snatch. On the other hand - and again it may just be me - LCCJ is more technically demanding, that is, it is easier to lose tension or unwittingly use more power-efficient technique (many people instinctively move more girevoy-sport like when fatigue kicks in).

I prefer double bell LCCJ to snatching personally.

But I practice all the movements.

We actually do both. Mondays we'll do long-cycle snatch, Wednesdays we'll do LCCJ.

LCCJ feel more like a strength-endurance movement to me. Snatches get my lungs going. Both attack my forearms. Last night we were testing max reps. I had to stop both because of forearms before my lungs. That was a first.

You can lift much more weight in the long cycle especially when using two bells. So more strength. Many also like the LC as it is less technical than the snatch.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom