all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Soju and Tuba to Pass a Sticking Point

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
Greetings. I'm currently on the RoP and closing in on getting 75 reps/arm at 24 KG for my ladder kettlebell (I just got 70 reps/arm today on my ladders). My monthly press test with the 32KG bell has yielded thus far 2x reps/arm (with my left it's rather ugly second rep so I'll dial up on form).

After I 'own' doing my 75 reps at 24KG, I am considering using Soju and Tuba to replace my press section of my RoP days for eighteen sessions to see how that works. From the look of things 32KG looks about right (as my 2RM) for a starting weight. Knowing the two stimuli for building strength are intensity and volume, I figured I'd aim a few sessions at the intensity side (which is Soju and Tuba all the way) before going back to ladders for RoP. Has anyone else ever rotated their press work from something like S&T versus RoP for press ladders? What were it's effects?

On another note I intend to keep my conditioning based on the kettlebell ballistics and dice approach of RoP and my barbell based 2x/week the same, so I can keep track of this one variable and its effects.

Hello,

@LoneRider
I ended S&T this evening and it delivers very well. Nonetheless, volume is significantly reduce comparing to RoP. For instance, the last day of S&T is 6 * 3 "only". For instance, I went from 28 to a solid 30 at least. I rest 2 or 3 days to test the 32.

It can help you to at least maintain your 1RM and gaining some kg (but not necessarily as much as with RoP) with a reduced volume, easier to incorporate in another routine.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I may offer some suggestions:

Ideally, you want to begin your S and T program where you don't require a high level of feed forward tension to complete all reps so here, what I would do once you complete your ROP..

use a 28kg and run Rif's triple progression but start at 3 reps once you complete (4) for 5 sets, retest your 32kg press then we'll go from there

@Mark Limbaga, thanks for that. I guess I'll have to scare up a 28 KG kettlebell (I don't currently possess one). I currently own two each of 16 KG, 24 KG, and 32 KG. Know any good sources?

@Mark Limbaga, thanks for that. I guess I'll have to scare up a 28 KG kettlebell (I don't currently possess one). I currently own two each of 16 KG, 24 KG, and 32 KG. Know any good sources?

Check kettlebell kings. Lots of people here swear by them...

just for reference, are you working up to a 36 eventually for an SFGII requirement or simply personal fulfillment at the moment??

@Mark Limbaga. Nope, I'm working up to try to eventually press a 40 KG (close to half my bodyweight) according to the Rite of Passage standards. I'm also trying for 200 snatches at 24KG in ten minutes per the SSST.

@Mark Limbaga. Nope, I'm working up to try to eventually press a 40 KG (close to half my bodyweight) according to the Rite of Passage standards. I'm also trying for 200 snatches at 24KG in ten minutes per the SSST.

Ok thanks for the additional info.. It helps put context and perspective to allow us to give better answers.

Can you upload a vid of your 32kg presses once you complete the ROP?

@LoneRider- Duct tape a ten pound plate, or two 5 pounders to the base of your bell. That will give you about a 28kg bell without spending a ton or get you started until your new toy arrives.

@LoneRider what you suggested in your original post is almost exactly what I just did/am doing now. Used the press ladders with the 24 till I could press the 32 reliably for 2-3 reps. (Emphasis on reliability and not just on test days or when im feeling particularly fresh) Then did s and t with the 32 every other day with a+a swings and snatches a few times a week. When I finished s and t began ROP with the 32. I'm now in my fourth week and it's going very well. Thinking about repeating it with the 40kg after finishing this round of ROP (I'm also chasing the ROP goals).

@LoneRider what you suggested in your original post is almost exactly what I just did/am doing now. Used the press ladders with the 24 till I could press the 32 reliably for 2-3 reps. (Emphasis on reliability and not just on test days or when im feeling particularly fresh) Then did s and t with the 32 every other day with a+a swings and snatches a few times a week. When I finished s and t began ROP with the 32. I'm now in my fourth week and it's going very well. Thinking about repeating it with the 40kg after finishing this round of ROP (I'm also chasing the ROP goals).

Great emphasis on owning the reps before commencing the next program

Update: today's snatch and press test had some great results. I got a solid three reps on the right arm and two on the left arm with the dvukhpudovik and sorted out 104 snatches in ten minutes with 24KG. I plan to run another month with ROP, test my presses and snatching again, and if I really own my reps at 32KG I'll use S&T for my press work at 32 KG and keep the ROP schedule of pulls. Thanks everyone for the advice.

@Mark Limbaga, Salamat. I will continue ROP for one more month and retest my numbers for press and snatch before moving onto Soju and Tuba. I've not even gotten to 5x(1,2,3,4,5) just yet, I'm at four such ladders currently.

I will retest my press and snatch numbers next month, to make sure today wasn't a fluke. I'm sure it wasn't given my sleep was less than optimal last night (had a few pints with my mates), but thus far results look promising.

After Soju and Tuba I plan to do the Triple Progression with a 32KG kettlebell, as a 5x5/5 volume is a little less taxing to me than 75 reps. Given my other physical demands of military service building strength without wearing myself out is optimal. I'll post my plan for that at a later date...

Sounds like a great idea.. You do know you can also conservatively progress ROP and add a density component to it if you wanna assure each rep and set is cooked well done

Thanks, @Mark Limbaga. I'll be doing one more month of ROP to solidify the gains I made and give the 32KG press test another go and go to Soju and Tuba then Triple Progression with a 32KG bell. The reason for pressing program swap is due to work demands. Where I'm going next the volume of the ROP at 32KG or heavier is a bit much to recover from for now.

Thanks, @Mark Limbaga. I'll be doing one more month of ROP to solidify the gains I made and give the 32KG press test another go and go to Soju and Tuba then Triple Progression with a 32KG bell. The reason for pressing program swap is due to work demands. Where I'm going next the volume of the ROP at 32KG or heavier is a bit much to recover from for now.

You do not need to rush... Out of curiosity, how long do your ROP sessions last?

I don't time the pressing component, but my swing and snatch sessions are anywhere from two to twelve minutes depending on the whims of Random.org's dice rolling. I tend to get between six to eight minutes on the dice quite a bit lately.

I don't time the pressing component, but my swing and snatch sessions are anywhere from two to twelve minutes depending on the whims of Random.org's dice rolling. I tend to get between six to eight minutes on the dice quite a bit lately.

SFG team leader Jody Beasley originally gave me the idea. Compress the rest periods like what is done in ROTK. You only do this once you have the 5 sets (1,2,3x5 1,2,3,4x5 1,2,3,4,5x5) when you can no longer shave off time, add a rung then work your way back up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom