all posts post new thread

Barbell Some Dumbbell Resources

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Hello Everyone. This is a post for all you dumbbell lovers out there!

There seems to be a dearth of dumbbell programs / instruction out there. This is a list of resources for you to use.

1. Pavel Macek's http://simplexstrong.com/ .

Go to the "Free Download" section. There he teaches you the old-school dumbbell swing and eventually emails you a PDF on how to program the dumbbell swing. This is basically a 1-dumbbell routine, nothing else needed.

I really liked this offering from Pavel Macek. I thought it was very high quality and well thought out.

2. Reddit's Dumbbell Stopgap Routine

This is actually a pretty cool routine. It uses a "3 sets of 10" rep scheme, so it's not for strength only, but it is a very effective routine that is well put together.

It focuses on using 2 adjustable dumbbells at a time. You are also encouraged to add dips and pull ups if you have the equipment.

I would use the reverse lunge in place of the Bulgarian split squat, but that's just me.

You use this routine 3 times a week.

You can also do the dumbbell stopgap "Push Pull Legs" routine as an alternative.

3. Dan John's Classic "One Dumbbell Workout"

This routine is best done 2-4 times per week, in my experience. With at least 1 rest day between sessions. This allows you to milk the routine a little longer each time.

The workout is explained by Dan John very well in the article. Focuses on the Clean and Press and the Waiter Walk. Very smart, as with all his stuff.

4. @shinch 's "Dumbbell Power to the People"

"I am do this almost everyday,

Incline dumbbell chest press

2 work sets of 5 reps. Second set is lighter by 10LG

Goblet squat.

2 work sets of 5 reps. Second set is lighter by 10LG

Pull ups 2x5 "

To expand on this routine, you could switch out almost any press in place of incline dumbbell chest press.

The goblet squat is probably the best choice for a squat, due to the mobility benefits.

Pull ups are great but could be replaced by dumbbell rows..

This routine is basically easy strength.

Ok that is all for now, but please share any resources you have for dumbbell lifting. I tried to include only free routines here.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite (majority) dumbbell resource is Infinite Intensity from Ross Enamait Infinite Intensity - RossTraining.com Programming, kinesiology, motivation, DIY equipment and absolutely no fluff. Probably my favorite training book and even 10 years later I still look back at it regularly.

Thank you for including that. I thought about linking it in the post, but wanted to link mostly free resources. That being said the book is a STEAL and offers very good advice as far as exercise technique / programming with dumbbells

@Jak Nieuwenhuis

Thank you for sharing my work. I have been working on the Hardstyle dumbbell lifting project for some time - the manual for the Dumbbell Program Minimum is basically done, over 40 pages.

Once I finish one big StrongFirst project (which will be launched very soon), I will continue my dumbbell work, and present more lifts in great detail, such as clean, press, snatch, and bent press, as well double dumbbell lifts. "Same, but different" - I have to say that I really love the dumbbell work.

@Jak Nieuwenhuis

Thank you for sharing my work. I have been working on the Hardstyle dumbbell lifting project for some time - the manual for the Dumbbell Program Minimum is basically done, over 40 pages.

Once I finish one big StrongFirst project (which will be launched very soon), I will continue my dumbbell work, and present more lifts in great detail, such as clean, press, snatch, and bent press, as well double dumbbell lifts. "Same, but different" - I have to say that I really love the dumbbell work.

that's great to hear - looking forward to the manual!

Brooks Kubik's "Dinosaur Dumbbell Training" is an excellent resource. He is a scholar of oldtime strong men and has his own blog.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom