all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Some thoughts of modlaities, programing and using a conjugate sequence

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shahaf Levin

Level 5 Valued Member
I have been on the FMS/Easy Strength/Strong First for the last 14 month, keeping a log here since last October. I have done allot of bent presses in this time, swings, some crawling and some other lifts. My programing was super simple and was mostly Bent & Sinister and Justa's singles programs, the reminder of time was ES protocols for a week or two here and there.

Most SF programs utilize two modalities together. Grind and ballistic, which correlates to absolute strength and explosive strength. Most SF flagship programs use these to modalities concurrently - S&S uses TGU for grinds and swings for ballistics, RoP uses the military press for grind and a swing/snatch combination for ballistics, some switch modalities at fixed intervals - ROTK for example switch grinds and ballistics every two weeks.

I used concurrent modalities with Bent & Sinister for a long time (actually dropping the ballistics when the 2HA got heavy on the last week or two) and started switching modalities for the last 2 months. I did 4 weeks of hands & thighs lift (grind) - 2 weeks OHS - 2 weeks hands & thighs - 2 weeks OHS. I stopped after 4 days at the second 2 weeks period of OHS. I played plenty of beach volleyball at throughout this all time (up to 32 hours/week), and last week was 35 degrees C (95 deg F) and 60%+ humidity. I could just not recover well enough from both volleyball and swings at these conditions, so I stopped swinging. Anyway I got enough ballistic hip hinging on the sand. But that was a side note.

Something is missing
Even before stopping the swings (for now) I started mining my logs to find my "peaks" and how I got there. (since "peaks" are derived from goals, you can see mine here). What I mined from my log was: a. I really like bent pressing, and my body and mind reacts great to them. and b. I missed a modality. Body-management, or integrity-with-environment as Dan John calls it, is IMHO that missing modality. True, many people do loaded carries and crawling and so on (me included), but as far as I know too many of us teat at as supplemental work, correctives, drills, movement prep, spices and not as a main dish, not as a standalone modality. The time I had the best fit for my "subjective" goal of It is the first business of any human being to be a good animal" (Sig Klein) was when I mixed Justafied bent pressing with crawling. One day strength , one day crawling, repeat. One day grind, one day body management. Since I play beach volleyball all year long I have ballistics thrown in the mix 2 - 5 times a week without even calling it "training".

So, I want to mix all three modalities in my training and I looked for a way to do it.
Some guidelines
  1. KISS - keep it simple, stupid - the least amount of "moving parts" - the plan/log should be easy to follow and look boring.
  2. Introducing novelties improves responsiveness of the body to training
  3. Consistency and moderation are key
  4. Modalities feed on another
  5. I am (mind, body, CNS) very fond of high frequency training
Concurrent approach
Programing all modalities in a concurrent manner calls for 3 different lifts (I'll call crawling and carries lifts for the sake of simplicity). For me 3 lifts a day is way to many and negates the first guideline. One more option is expanding on the crawl/bent press notion and go for integrity/grind/ballistic 3 day micro-cycle. This one is not in violation of the first guideline as 3-lifs-a-day but three concurrent lifts still sounds a bit much for me.

Being concurrent both options allow to follow guideline three (consistency and moderation) effortlessly, and introduce novelties by changing lifts, or as can easily done with KB, big a#@ weight increase.

Switching approach
Example for switching, adapted from ROTK, is doing a meso-cycle of 2 weeks of loaded carries, followed by 2 weeks of presses, followed by 2 weeks of C&J. Switching allow for introduction on novelties via modalities, but can be hard on consistency. You either switch modalities too often and cannot create consistent training with each one, or you lay off one for too long (remember we have three modalities now)

Conjugate sequence
Enter conjugate sequence. In conjugate sequence training (Verkhoshansky, Siff) one introduces the new mean of training (modality in our case) in a smooth fashion before terminating the use of the previous mean. This basically merges both the concurrent and switch approaches. Take the example above of 2-weeks block meso-cycle, but start each block 5 days before the previous one finishes. You get 14 days before you return to the same modality and not lay off of it for two long, and still can have 14 straight days of staying with each. you also have 4 days of uni-modal training in between. There are plenty of possible variations, which one is used should be derived from the situation.

While performing the training in such manner is simple, designing such program might not be. While there are not many moving parts for the trainee the coaches work might not be simple and might not follow the first guideline. However, I believe that a smart and experienced coach can handle such task without to much trouble.

My conjugate sequence experiment
Started last week my programing is
  • 2 weeks of leopard crawling - collecting time by feel, loaded carries if I can't get to the beach
  • 2 weeks of daily bent press following Justa's daily singles
  • 2 weeks of ballistics (will decide on content according to the amount of beach volleyball I'll play)
  • Each block will start 4-5 days before the end of the previous one
Will update in my log.

If you made it this far in this lengthy post, the one important thing I took from here is to treat body-management/integrity-with-environment/whatever-you-call-it as a distinct modality in training. :)

@Shahaf Levin, there are plenty of other things you can do besides crawling. I know crawling is very popular, but I find a few, well-chosen stretches plus relaxed walking do the trick for me. I guess I should emphasize that I really focus on the relaxed part of walking - as little tension everywhere as possible, freely swinging arms, mobile t-spine, loose hips, good posture. I suppose I could write a book about how to walk well, but no doubt someone already has and, anyway, I think the above list about covers it.

Mentally restorative practices go hand-in-hand with physical ones, IMHO, and working one of the two often creates improvement in the other.

I'm not suggesting you need to do differently than you're doing - if you're happy, I'm happy. And I certainly agree with your overall sentiment that body-management/integrity is important. I just think that walking is highly underrated - e.g., it does a wonderful job of loosening the spine _if_ you let it. And I think stretching is under-practiced, period, in large part because not enough people understand how to do it.

-S-

Awesome post. I have to re-read this a few times as you really put a lot into this.

While performing the training in such manner is simple, designing such program might not be.

This one line sums up SO MUCH. The conjugate introduction is key, I would not have ever been able to articulate this in so concise a manner, but is spot on.

My opinion is that for conditioned, adapted individuals a 2 week cycle might be too much of an interval for this sort of approach. Weekly features might work better, but at that point conjugate introduction is not really viable. But...for a conditioned individual it might not be a critical feature. One of the things that comes from steady, high frequency training IS rapid adaptation to new strategies.

I just think that walking is highly underrated - e.g., it does a wonderful job of loosening the spine _if_ you let it. And I think stretching is under-practiced, period, in large part because not enough people understand how to do it.

Agreed on both counts. It also goes along with what is presented in OS Performance. OSP is about loading the locomotion patterns, there Tim and Geoff say that the top of the locomotion hierarchy is walking / sprinting, which is definitely the end-game.

Regarding stretching, I hope that with time the work you do here at SF and at Flexible Steel (and FMS), along with that of OS and GFM will gain it's place among the general public.

My opinion is that for conditioned, adapted individuals a 2 week cycle might be too much of an interval for this sort of approach. Weekly features might work better, but at that point conjugate introduction is not really viable. But...for a conditioned individual it might not be a critical feature. One of the things that comes from steady, high frequency training IS rapid adaptation to new strategies.

That is an interesting point. Maybe I chose 2 week block out of fear that one week is too short... One more thing for future testing... :)

In designing ROTK, Pavel relied on research that suggests 2 week blocks are optimal for that program's goals and training methods.

-S-

That is an interesting point. Maybe I chose 2 week block out of fear that one week is too short... One more thing for future testing... :)

I'd agree that in most cases 2 weeks is likely optimal in terms of the active mode, but the 4 week span between returning to a given method might be too long. It fits within accepted periodization schemes but I come back to the premise you mention
You either switch modalities too often and cannot create consistent training with each one, or you lay off one for too long (remember we have three modalities now)

I like 2 -3 week strings for an active component, but 4 weeks feels like a long downtime. Maybe 10 day chunks are a good compromise?

In designing ROTK, Pavel relied on research that suggests 2 week blocks are optimal for that program's goals and training methods.

-S-
Thanks. There is also a mention in Easy Strength of cycling 2 week blogs of PTTP and ETK program minimum. I assume they are based on the same research.

I like 2 -3 week strings for an active component, but 4 weeks feels like a long downtime

This is the reason I have suggested Verkhoshansky's conjugate sequence :)

You get 2 week blocks and only 2 week layoff before coming back to the same modality and get to use three modalities... Now it's only about controlling volume and intensity... Accept that 'Only' might not be the appropriate word to use here ;)

This is the reason I have suggested Verkhoshansky's conjugate sequence :)

You get 2 week blocks and only 2 week layoff before coming back to the same modality and get to use three modalities... Now it's only about controlling volume and intensity... Accept that 'Only' might not be the appropriate word to use here ;)

Does this not dilute the intent of the feature modality to some extent? I admit to being not very up on Verkhoshansky, only read one or two articles mentioning his work.

Does this not dilute the intent of the feature modality to some extent? I admit to being not very up on Verkhoshansky, only read one or two articles mentioning his work.

It might, but the idea (for my understanding) is that by introducing modalities at the correct* sequence you benefit from the overlap period. Switching modalities in a "correct" sequence, as in ROTK, is actually a private case of conjugate sequence, since the conjugate system since the overlap period is not "mandatory" (you can look a ROTK as conjugate sequence with overlap of zero days between modalities).

The design I started testing for myself is
  • 14 days integrity block
    • start next block at day 10
  • 14 days strength block
    • days 1 - 5 overlap with integrity block
    • days 6 - 9/10 standalone block
    • start next block at day 10/11
  • 14 days power block
    • days 1 - 4/5 overlap with strength block
    • days 5/6 - 9/10 standalone block
    • start next block at day 10/11
  • 14 days integrity block ...
I will update at my log and here for big things.

*correct - depending on person and goals

OFFTOPIC!
[I suppose I could write a book about how to walk well, but no doubt someone already has and, anyway, I think the above list about covers it.
Maybe you can write an article for the blog or start a topic in the forum?
I walk a lot, according to my smartphone app 10 km on average. Most of it are walks with my dog on forest tracks and there are a lot of hills out there. Sometimes I get lower back pain afterwards. I think this comes mostly from walking down the hill way too fast and with bad form. But I walk fast and walk a lot since my childhood and it's hard for me to walk slowly and relaxed and maintan good form for long time.

Look into a kb/bodyweight combo by Alex Salkins. It's a 3/2, 2/3 split for 8 weeks of swings and get ups on 1 day, pull ups/crawling the other. Over 2 weeks then, 5 sessions of each. There is a free programme available with progressions and programming. I'm doing S&S.
Just the last couple weeks I've mixed up the crawling too ( many names for these things but being a good animal I'll just use the animal names): leopard, lizard, monkey, gorilla, crab. But you could do leopard, forwards, backwards, sideways, up/downhill. Or 2 weeks of an animal move and switch it. Much is said about crawling for time, try crab for time! Back in the day, crab football was one of my judo warm up games! All this stuff it great. And it's a great, adaptable, progressive programme, 10 minutes otms (although my S&S days are not otm). Suits your ballistics/grind/movement/locomotion, maybe?

Look into a kb/bodyweight combo by Alex Salkins. It's a 3/2, 2/3 split for 8 weeks of swings and get ups on 1 day, pull ups/crawling the other. Over 2 weeks then, 5 sessions of each. There is a free programme available with progressions and programming. I'm doing S&S.
Just the last couple weeks I've mixed up the crawling too ( many names for these things but being a good animal I'll just use the animal names): leopard, lizard, monkey, gorilla, crab. But you could do leopard, forwards, backwards, sideways, up/downhill. Or 2 weeks of an animal move and switch it. Much is said about crawling for time, try crab for time! Back in the day, crab football was one of my judo warm up games! All this stuff it great. And it's a great, adaptable, progressive programme, 10 minutes otms (although my S&S days are not otm). Suits your ballistics/grind/movement/locomotion, maybe?
Thanks, will take a look at it

I walk a lot, according to my smartphone app 10 km on average. Most of it are walks with my dog on forest tracks and there are a lot of hills out there. Sometimes I get lower back pain afterwards. I think this comes mostly from walking down the hill way too fast and with bad form. But I walk fast and walk a lot since my childhood and it's hard for me to walk slowly and relaxed and maintan good form for long time.
It's important to live on both sides of the muscle tension continuum. If it's hard for you to walk slowly and relaxedly for time, that's probably a good thing for you to work on.

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time sitting in a chair, I know I spend the beginning of most walks trying to regain a normal posture - I'm twisting around, stretching out my neck, shoulders, and back, and also sometimes stop to stretch my hips and hamstrings. I know what good, relaxed posture feels like, so I try not to let myself be content with my walking posture and mechanics until I feel I've found it, and at least for me, you really do have to go and find it again, every time, after you've been sitting for a long time.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom