all posts post new thread

Speed Metal

Erik W

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all, my current dedication is Speed Metal. I'm inspired to stick with this to pass the snatch test and graduate to AXE.

Anyway, after some injuries last year, I decided to start at the absolute beginning of Speed Metal. I got through the first two beginner programs pretty easily. Now, I'm working on Phase 1 of Beginner Program #3. In this program, my progress has slowed considerably. My guess is that I started so light that I've finally hit my current conditioning. It's just been a little bit of a reality check.

Is anyone else following this system? What have your experiences been?

I followed it a bit last year. I had a sore elbow and following the beginner program #1 helped me go back to normal without laying off. I did that for six weeks then Q&D for six weeks, and now I’m doing a density protocol for six weeks leading up to a snatch test at the end of April. I plan to go back into Speed Metal in a couple months and give my best effort to pass the secret service snatch test. But before I do that I’d like to get in a 6 week or more of Axe snatches with 32 or 36 kg so I can get even stronger for that challenge.

Well the beginner 3 template is "AXE" in regards to the OTM snatches

Yeah the 20min repeat day took me about 4ish weeks before I "owned" it...

I think a solid progression would be go through templates 1-3 beginner from speed metal, intermediate 1 then run 524A from strong endurance... Followed by intermediate 2

Yeah, I called the first part of Beginner #3 "Phase zero", since "Phase 1" is used for the snatch walking bit. I sailed through Phase zero in probably a month. In the phases that include snatch walking, it's the step progression day at the end of the week that's got my attention right now.

It's just taking longer to progress through each step than I might have estimated, given how easily I went through the earlier programs. It lends credence to the challenges I've heard from people increasing reps per set in AXE. I'm not worried, though. The progress is still coming.

Yeah, I called the first part of Beginner #3 "Phase zero", since "Phase 1" is used for the snatch walking bit. I sailed through Phase zero in probably a month. In the phases that include snatch walking, it's the step progression day at the end of the week that's got my attention right now.

It's just taking longer to progress through each step than I might have estimated, given how easily I went through the earlier programs. It lends credence to the challenges I've heard from people increasing reps per set in AXE. I'm not worried, though. The progress is still coming.
If you feel stuck at some point, I think it is good to remember that @Derek Toshner also likes fixed blocks of 6-8 weeks AFAIK.

Thus, while the Speed Metal plans are usually "repeat until finished", you could probably also switch earlier to another plan, IF you have spent at least 6-8 weeks with a given plan. In KBSF this is reflected by the instruction to move up in a progressiong when you meet a certain standard OR progress stalls.

If you feel stuck at some point, I think it is good to remember that @Derek Toshner also likes fixed blocks of 6-8 weeks AFAIK.

Thus, while the Speed Metal plans are usually "repeat until finished", you could probably also switch earlier to another plan, IF you have spent at least 6-8 weeks with a given plan. In KBSF this is reflected by the instruction to move up in a progressiong when you meet a certain standard OR progress stalls.
Thanks. I might give that a try.

One thing I can definitely say, though, is that I'm enjoying my current laser focus on the snatch.

Back
Top Bottom