all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sprinting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
When was the last time you sprinted? Really went top speed for 4 or 5 seconds?

In my mind, it's really an expression of strength - propelling the body forwards with all the power you can muster, and keeping a tight core. But it seems like so few people do it, unless they play a sport like soccer. Today was my first time on the track in about a year, and probably longer before that. My rec activities of karate and volleyball don't involve that kind of speed work.

For those who do sprint, I'd love to hear any track sessions you are fond of doing. I'm looking at doing a track meet in the fall, need to get my running legs under me.

The last time I actually sprinted was earlier this year when I was training for a Spartan Sprint endurance obstacle course.

I used sprints to help condition my aerobic capacity.

I would do 10s full out sprints on a field, rest 50 seconds EMOM. Repeat for 10 minutes straight, or 15 minutes straight. You'll see you get winded fast.

I would also vary the same up by sprinting up and down hills to train the unknown nature of the obstacle courses.

I didn't really follow a training plan, and in hindsight probably should have to get better power/performance, however, I did experience the WTH effect at the event, as my main training methods were those sprints and my basic S&S practice.

2 weekends ago - tweaked a hamstring in the final 10m of a 110m sprint!! Missed a race last week and will probably rest up for another one this weekend. Oh well, things were going well.
This year I've plunged myself into master athletic sprints.
These recent sprints were grass and handicapped, based on my 60m indoor time and age. Good fun sprinting against a sub 11 second 22 year old whippet, I can tell you! The result: a tweaked hamstring and a reminder that sprinting is very hard on the old body.....which is why it is so good for you, haha.
Dunno your age but age is significant looking at sprint training. Since being on the circuit and meeting with some experienced master sprinters there are many views on what is the right approach, if such a thing exists.
For a start, taking age out of the equation, there are many views on sprinting....firstly sprinting for conditioning/sport performance (football, rugby etc), fat loss, general fitness and speed and power development. Or track sprinting. The approaches often get muddled.
So chuck out all over fitness approaches, let's talk sprinting. Proper full on max effort sprinting.
It's bloody hard. Plenty of opportunity for injury. That's about the only thing that anyone can agree on.
Most competitive track sprinters I have met favour a long to short training block....
Competitive experienced master athletes in the 50s and 60s and onwards train this way partly because they've always trained that way and it works. It is, and I'm guessing, maybe easier on the body.
The opposite is short to long, a Charlie Francis model. It works too.
My own feeling is they both work, one may favour the other due to an athletes physical state, genetics and training opportunities.
So long to short, build up lower intensity sprint volume, overtime, gradually introduce greater intensities at less volume to peak and then compete.
In some ways, similar to a snatch test....

Leaving aside training frequency for a minute, and move over to short to long.....build speed and technique first, develop neuro-muscular co-ordination for max speed from that, increase distance and use tempo sprints - not tempo runs - for recovery days. In some ways, to run fast you need to run fast, if you don't have speed what is there to endure?

So they are both good - what is best? No idea. Personally I favour short to long but I'm doing a long to short program written for me for a winter sprint this year, so I may have a better comparison for a personal test but as a philosophy, in general, I dunno. Pick one, do it....did you win? Better times? Guess that'll be the test....(by the way, there's more to each, just an overview). That programme begins in August for a race on new years day. It's twice a week.

And anyway, the most significant thing is recovery. My recent tweak is very minor and picked up in a race, not training, so excusable, in a sense! And, of course, strength. Short alactic sprints - as in a short to long - have to be monitored. Max effort, here. Acceleration? Again, max effort. A 60m block start, max effort requires at least 6 minutes recovery. I go for 10. I do that once a week, well a speed session once a week anyway. Closer to competition I run speed endurance 150s at 90% and only do a couple of full 100s at max two weeks out and back off. So any strength stuff with sprinting has to be on the low cns scale. Perfect for S&S. And sprint drills as warm ups and sometimes as a standalone thing out walking my dog, even walking drills. Drills can be tough on their own mind. My training is usually about an hour.....probably average 200m of speed. Not much, really. But very intense.

So for me.....5 day week, 2 total off days. Made up as 1 speed day, 2/3 swings and get ups, 1 or 2, movement play days.
2 months from competition it is 1 speed, 1 speed endurance (slow increase volume and intensity, as intensity increase knock back volume on speed day), 3 days of lighter swings and get ups and recovery. That's very general. You could argue my sprinting is short to long, my strength is long to short. I've merged both and saw a big improvement last year to fully immerse myself into competitive sprinting.
I know athletes who do strength training, back off and do 3 days a week sprinting. Some do 2 days a week sprinting with 2 massage days and nothing else.
The approach I've adopted is very flexible to fit with chaotic pain in the arse work stuff and family co-ordination. It's hard looking at training just as training, it has to fit with a lifestyle and we are all different.

If you are not a good sprinter in the sense that you don't know what if feels like to run fast then how do you know what it feels like to run fast? Speed should be effortless. Yet to be fast you have to work at your maximum power output. A conundrum to get your head around if ever there was one. The only thing I know for sure to improve at sprinting you need to sprint. Some athletes respond well to increasing strength gains, others don't, they get slower. It's a skill. Sprinting is strength training.

A training programme for a 25 year old elite sprinter is not the programme for a 50 year sprinter of any level. Any tweaks anywhere, do not sprint. You will just run slow and accrue more injuries.

Another add-on to the short to long approach is micro-dosing, essentially gtg sprints.....short, sprints or drills, done often when fresh to build speed volume focusing on technique and the skill of sprinting....I kind of, sort of do that out with my dog but it is sporadic and random. Somedays I just can't be arsed. It has to be factored in with other training, of course. Just watch the intensity monitor....

Hope that may help a little. Hoping for some other opinions too.....

Last edited:
I used to use 50+ metre sprints for leg work and conditioning. Sprint down, walk back, repeat until I felt the lactic acid burn. It was very effective. My experience was it was safer not to accelerate explosively from the start but instead build steadily to a 90% plus max speed.

@ali thanks, figured you'd have a lot to say on this subject.

My thoughts right now are certainly in what you call short-to-long, since that feels much more StrongFirst - who cares how long you can keep your top speed up if your top speed looks like you're on tank treads. But at the same time, the race I'm eyeing (part of a pentathlon) would be 200m, so I gotta learn how to "float" at some point.

Speed should be effortless.

+1 to that. Races aside, that's what I really want - the ability to move (at least relatively) swiftly any time I'm called on do so.

I wind up chasing or being chased by my kids sometimes and I'll go all out for that. I used to include a little bit of it back when my dog was younger, but now he's closing in on 15 and no way he's running that hard with me anymore.

I'd thought about doing some HIIT twice a week using 20-30 second sprints at 2-3 minute intervals, and will probably start on this in the near future.

short-to-long, since that feels much more StrongFirst - who cares how long you can keep your top speed up if your top speed looks like you're on tank treads.

There is that but it depends really on how much sprinting or faster running for that matter you've done. Bearing in mind that a short to long model does have recovery sprint tempo runs at 75%.....whilst not exactly speed endurance they are important for prepping your body for the intensity of speed, energy system development and you can work on sprint technique without going all out max effort. Jumping straight into speed work may be injurious ....it may not be of course, depending on your condition....nonetheless for us older peeps gotta to keep a eye on intensity.

Good luck with the marathon of a 200, haha......

I used to do more; now not so much. Something I keep meaning to put back in my training. I get quite a bit organically through summer playing ball - ideally 180-270 feet rather than 90 - but I do love sprint workouts. Wish I took track and field more seriously in high school

Sprinting for me is hill sprints, I get tremendous bang for the buck from them.

As far as training for a 200m I have a few thoughts. A typical weekly pattern with my sprinters looked something along the lines of: Monday- Repeat 200's Tuesday-Peak speed work in the form of 30m sprints from a rolling start, full recovery Wednesday-300's Thursday-Perhaps a ladder of some sort; 2x50-100-150 Friday-Stick and block work.

The ladders changed over the course of the season, volume was increased by altering the distances (e.g. 50-100-150-150-100-50) or adding more ladders. 200's were performed by feel early on and stressed form and relaxation since they are truly pure conditioning. 300's were governed by getting the athlete JUST into lactic acid and then stopping the session. Flying (rolling) 30's are designed to develop top-end speed, but you must be careful with them. I've heard it said that injury does not occur during the first step "at speed" but at the second. Since I don't know your age or fitness level it's difficult to suggest diving into a weekly format of any type, although a workable alteration to the format would be some hill sprints on Thursday as opposed to ladders. Early in the season all sprinters were trained as 400 runners because of the universality of being able to move athletes up or down in their racing distances. A base of conditioning is assumed here as a lead-up to commencing formal training. Also, don't over do volume or intensity initially. I like Dan John's description of his sprints, "I start off slow and taper."

We were blessed with fine athletes and a program with decades of track history, but the approach was tweaked slightly over the decades and our squads were able to set state records in the 4x200, 4x400 (twice) and boy's 400m. One year we had one group of young men who won the state title in the 4x800, 4x200 and 4x400 with the same lineup, so their versatility was evident. I think some of that was due to our approach.

i run alot, on the soccer field. i rarely train sprinting, but sometime, i have to sprint 100- 200 m to catch the bus.

@Denny Phillips , do you know of any younger sprinters who continued sprinting into their 40s?
And any modifications they made?

The way I see things is not to view sprinting to compete at any cost. My aim, like that of @WhatWouldHulkDo , is to find that easy speed without burn out and it's a balance between intensity, volume and the necessary recovery.
And finding that sweet spot of improvement with advancing years without being detrimental to health and exposure to injury. It's really good to hear all views and experiences as the number of master sprinters is very low compared to running in the general sense. Plenty of running programmes applicable to all ages but sprints tend to be pitched at youth.

@ali-

There are a handful at best that continued into that age range, largely due to life responsibilities as compared to available meet opportunities. One was a former collegiate 400m hurdler who just had the love plus he was genetically gifted. I tried once as a 110 hurdler and it went okay since the barriers were 39" instead of 42", however, a meniscus in my take-off leg barked for a couple of weeks afterward and I decided that enough was enough. An orthopedic surgeon friend of mine that I trained while he was a football player at Ball St. told me that the meniscus was probably grumpy due to things I had done to it as a youth such as basketball, high jumping, hurdling etc so I think that the takeaway is that we indeed do have to modify. Peak sprinting is indeed the province of the young and genetic freaks. You strike me as having at least above-average genetics, but youth?

Where most sprinters need work is with form. Gerard Mach's A-B-C drills are a staple in our workouts. I am also a big believer in the precepts espoused by Brent McFarlane.

I think that hills (grass) must fit into the equation. One collegiate coach that I spoke to who had marvelous 4x400 relays told me that all you need is a tire, a rope, and a hill to develop tremendous sprint power.

Another thing that occurred to me that is aimed at the Hulk iregarding learning to "float." One drill you might try is Hollow Sprints. To do them you determine a distance, say 75m, and divide them into 25m segments. The first 25m are sprinted followed by a 25m "float", and ending with another 25m sprint. To us a Float was to consciously maximize relaxation while not losing turnover. As our guys became familiar with the drill they learned how to float, yet, change gears for the final sprint.

all you need is a tire, a rope, and a hill to develop tremendous sprint power.

Some interesting views @Denny Phillips . I was thinking about getting one of those parachute things for training but then....is there a difference running up a hill or going out on a windy day and running into the wind?
The thing with developing power via hills is increased ground contact time and a slowing of neuro-muscular timing, so there must be some trade off somewhere for speed, that is.
In peak performance, sprinting for speed and acceleration there is an argument for downhill sprints, only a tiny amount, a 3% decline to improve speed....so maybe a combo of the 2 for balance?
I have above average damaged knees as a 54 year old with the mental age of a 17 year old. A bit of a worry.....

The last few years I've added sprinting three times a week, only two of which I get to top end speed.

I started with a long to short approach, but I had trouble recovering from the volume. This probably had to do with having to walk upwards of 5-6 miles a day on hard floors and stairs at work, so it's not necessarily a knock on long to short, but more that I didn't accommodate the volume well. What ended up working for me was starting with a lot of multidirectional skipping for volume. Lower intensity but still develops the soft tissues. I introduced accelerations after a few weeks, alternating lateral and forward start positions. First up a mild incline, then on the flats. After a few weeks I made the weekend day a max speed day. I started with skips for distance up an incline, then on the flat, then proceeding to short fly in 10's. Over time this has evolved into three different focused workouts.

Tuesday: acceleration day. Work acceleration in sets of 2-4 x 2-4 x 30-50 yards, so I hit both acceleration and top end speed.

Thursday: Resisted acceleration. Main sets alternate a few reps of resisted acceleration followed by short 10 to 20 yard accelerations without resistance. I have a harness and a tire for my resistance.

Saturday: i basically structure my week so this is the top quality day. Usually max speed but sometimes speed endurance. So usually a few sets of a few reps of fly ins in the range of 20-40 yards (fly in meaning easy build up of speed for 30 or so yards and then max sprinting for the distance of the day). A speed endurance session for me would be a few reps of max speed 100's to 150s with a ton of rest in between reps. I think a good rule of thumb is to take at least a minute rest for each 10 yards sprinted.

I've found this routine to be very scalable. If I want to shoot for longer distances I just lengthen the accelerations on Tuesday, and alternate Saturdays with longer fly ins one week and then lengthening the speed endurance reps the next week. The sprint workouts are also short enough that I can do supplemental easy strength style lifting afterwards.

I also think Denny raises a great point that it is better to introduce a lot of this on a hill before hitting the flat.

Thanks for the pointers @Denny Phillips

I'm 42, in fair shape, but 230 lbs, and not at all trained as a sprinter. I'm definitely going to be easing into things - don't think my body could put up with more than a day or two a week of speed work right now, I'm having a fair amount of DOMS today from my Wednesday session, as expected. Plus, I gotta work on my 1 mile time a little if I'm gonna pull of this pentathlon. I've got no illusion of being in it to win it at this point.

For speed work, I'm thinking to rotate through short fly-in sprints, hill work and something like the "hollow sprints" you described - I've seen that drill recommended for 200m in a few places. Kind of hoping I can use some 1 mile work as a surrogate for speed endurance work, recognizing that's not a direct translation.

wespom9-

It's a form of "booty kicker" that involves bringing the heel up to the base of the glute using a high knee action as opposed to the usual technique of the thighs staying almost parallel to the ground. Some coaches use a "high knee" and "low knee" version. Mach's primary cues on his drills are
"Knee up, toe up, heel up." so I have never been of the mind the vary the drills in any fashion that can compromise those cues. They are performed from a stationary position, a march, and then as a skip. Sometimes they are done with straight legs although I tend not to use those. The drills are designed to develop a ground strike that occurs directly below the body during the sprint stride. As you probably know, having the foot land in front of the center of gravity during the sprint stride results in a "braking" action. I was long guilty of braking, I have a long stride that would land in front of my COG. In its purest sense sprinting is a series of controlled forward falls, all Mach drills have the goal of promoting proper foot landing. There are also hurdle variations of each. I have seen coaches reasonably contend that the Mach drills are really developing the proper running muscles as opposed to being form drills. My take is that you can use them for strength development, but I vehemently disagree with the statement that they are not form drills.

Last edited:
Hulk-

I know that many sprint coaches try to use downhill running on the same days as hill work. It can also serve as an overspeed session as well since, well, running downhill. The suggested downhill angle was 3-5 degrees with 3 being preferred because too steep an angle will result in technique compromise.

ali-

I think parachutes are fine, I just looked at the cost/benefit of having them. Could I find something that could perform the same function and not have another piece of equipment in an equipment-intensive sport? Maybe I'm holding my kids back but I decided not to introduce more gear.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom