all posts post new thread

Barbell Squat: Center Knurl or No?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I've been squatting pretty regularly for the last few months, and it's not been kind to my skin where the bar rests on my back. My wife says the skin around the spot where the center knurling hits is now best described as "looks like the skin on your elbow." I'm using a Texas Power Bar, an older one.

I wear thin shirt, two layers in the winter but still thin.

Solutions: thicker shirt, bar without center knurling, bar with less sharp knurling, and I don't know what else. I like have the knurling, all other things being equal because it makes it easy for me to be sure my body is centered on the bar before I get under it, and I imagine it helps the bar stay in place as well.

Your thoughts invited, and thanks in advance.

-S-

For safety in the squat the center knurling helps to secure the bar so I would stick with it.

If I am remembering correctly the Texas Power Bar has some pretty aggressive knurling and I remember having a bar callous.

Steve - you could try wrapping the centre knurling with something like electrical insulation tape, or even PTFE plumbers tape.

I find that the knurled section helps hold the bar for high bar squats. Low bar squats I can raise my elbows and keep a smooth bar in place even with a wicking type slippery T shirt.

I had the neck callous for years, but lately low bar and occasional front squats have made it go away.

So no real help here, just my experiences.

It seems you’ve found the solutions. I always squat in a sweatshirt and it’s hasn’t caused me any issues. The knurling probably keeps the bar in place better and acts as a marker but from what I’ve seen, many do fine without one and if they feel the bar is slippery from perspiration, chalk up their backs. I suppose it could help with understanding where your position is, but I’ve found where the bar is gripped to be an adequate marker of such.

@Timo Keskitalo, I like your attitude.

@Brett Jones, I think I'll make one of my options a cheaper bar. With the weights I squat, bend/flex is a non-issue. May that change in the future!

@krg, a cheaper bar will probably accomplish the same thing. Taping over the center knurling of my Texas Power Bar seems sacrilegious.

@Norville Barnes, I'm not very thickly muscled, and I also have far from ideal t-spine extension ability. So far, it feels like what my hands are doing it pushing the bar into my back.

@Philippe Geoffrion, my shoulders work noticeably differently from one another. I'm getting better at sensing where the bar is before I lift it off the squat stands, but I'm not there yet. Right now, I eyeball the center knurling and then try to keep myself in that same line as I get underneath the bar.

-S-

Steve - you could try wrapping the centre knurling with something like electrical insulation tape, or even PTFE plumbers tape.

I did that for my Ohio Power Bar when I was using it for cleans. (The knurling feels even worse on the front of the neck!). I wrapped some of that "stick to itself" tape they usually put on your arm after drawing blood. Worked great and came off easily when I no longer needed it once I got an Oly lifting bar.

I did that for my Ohio Power Bar when I was using it for cleans. (The knurling feels even worse on the front of the neck!). I wrapped some of that "stick to itself" tape they usually put on your arm after drawing blood. Worked great and came off easily when I no longer needed it once I got an Oly lifting bar.
Alright, two votes for tape, then. I've got that same bar, @Anna C, in my deadlift area, and the TBP on the squat stands. I think the Ohio bar has probably got the sharpest knurling.

But I just noticed the bar in my rack, which is where I BP, also seems to be a good quality bar, much like the TPB - but it has no center knurling. So, eureka, I think I can try just swapping my SQ and BP bar. That'll be what I try next - it looks just like the Texas bar otherwise.

Thanks, everyone.

-S-

For safety in the squat the center knurling helps to secure the bar so I would stick with it.

If I am remembering correctly the Texas Power Bar has some pretty aggressive knurling and I remember having a bar callous.

You remembered correctly.

Sweet, sweet knurling.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom