all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Squat-Hinge Spectrum

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The curve seems a bit exaggerated.

For example, it appears one could back squat twice as much as front squat, where for me the two are much closer (80 kg front, 91 kg back, as of last test a few months ago).

Also, back squat appears to be higher than conventional deadlift... not true at all for most people (136 kg for me on DL).

In fact, it might be interesting to test 1RMs in all of those movement and plot one's own graph.....

Anyway, it's a neat representation of the movement continuum and what is emphasized.

If StrongFirst were to do one (the "SFL Clock" is the closest thing), Zercher squat would need to be on there!

I think the curve is kind of a cartoon, but I also think you must imagine it with a constant offset from 0, i.e. if a point is twice as high, that does not mean twice as much weight. Otherwise you would infer that goblet squat = 0 load.

Hello,

It could be interesting to see also the "measurements" of the people who did this study. Indeed, even if I am not a weightlifter, I guess some moves are easier for someone shorter and some other harder. Depending on the size of the sample, it could greatly alter the results.

Plus,maybe some of them works more on the DL or on the Sq. This could explain as well why some results can be "surprising": if one does not train the DL, then from a statiscal standpoint, his DL can be lower than his Sq, comparing to someone who train equally both moves. Maybe there's also a better transfer from Sq to DL (or the other way around) ?

Like all the studies, it can be hard to find something without any bias and or (over) simplification.This study can give some perspective. From there we can see how we compare to it but nothing prevents us to compare to other study as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Dan John definitely was the one who came up with that concept, at a minimum the X-axis. I hope this isn't against the rules but I am pretty sure Rusin has copped some things before, if I remember right he copied an intro from another podcast for one of his own years back, not sure what came of that.
The parabola has nothing to do with ## weight I would say. Nothing new on X-axis DJ didn't describe many years ago

The "ability to move weight" thing seems to be a gimmick intended to differentiate this graph from dozens of others like it that have been created since Dan John introduced this concept. It seems similar to Starting Strength's marketing in harnessing a kind of modern cargo cult: there is a graph with two axes and a nice curved line, scientists use these all the time, so it's scientific (and hence good, and true, and smart, and high status), right? Right?

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom