all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Squat Stands

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I've been using a pair of squat stands that are separate - they're getting a little unstable* for me, looking for something where there's a connection between the uprights, ideally an adjustable connection

... and ...

the whole apparatus doesn't stick out more than 30 inches from a wall. Most I've found so far are 48". Doesn't need to hold a ton of weight - right now I'm front squatting 5 x 5 with just over my bodyweight which, as we know, ain't much. :)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

* - "unstable" - today when I was putting the bar back in the rack, one of the uprights tipped over.

-S-

I've been using a pair of squat stands that are separate - they're getting a little unstable* for me, looking for something where there's a connection between the uprights, ideally an adjustable connection

... and ...

the whole apparatus doesn't stick out more than 30 inches from a wall. Most I've found so far are 48". Doesn't need to hold a ton of weight - right now I'm front squatting 5 x 5 with just over my bodyweight which, as we know, ain't much. :)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

* - "unstable" - today when I was putting the bar back in the rack, one of the uprights tipped over.

-S-
Currently on sale. Client has one of the other models. Excellent. Needs 91 inches of ceiling height

If space is at a premium and it doesn’t need to support a lot, I would suggest a wall mounted rack. I believe some of them can also be disassembled relatively easily.
I have one of these.

You may want to think through a little better than I did for where, exactly, to put this (relative to garage door tracks, windows, strip-beam footing, not very level floors, low ceiling); and in the end, I don't realistically have enough room in my garage to fold this thing up after every use and park a car (which was the plan), so it's actually only been folded a couple times as a test. It's a bit of an exercise to fold, especially with the pull-up bar attachment (which I have).

I had a Titan squat rack and it kinda shifted back and forth. It was half the price, and half the quality, of what you'd expect from Rogue or Vulcan.

I always wanted the Vulcan racks from Ironmind, but they are soooooo expensive...
And then there are these, even more expensive.

I like roller cups. The 25 kg squat bar I use is so heavily knurled that it’s hard to move when it’s loaded on my current squat stands.

-S-

And then there are these, even more expensive.
Yeah, Eleiko is a brand I'll probably never own.
I like roller cups. The 25 kg squat bar I use is so heavily knurled that it’s hard to move when it’s loaded on my current squat stands.

-S-
Roller cups are nice and I own a pair for my power rack, but I'm so used to not using them that I'm a little distracted by the bar easily moving in the hooks when I do.

Roller cups are nice and I own a pair for my power rack, but I'm so used to not using them that I'm a little distracted by the bar easily moving in the hooks when I do.
With my not connected, squat stands, and the big, heavy squat bar, if I try to move it, the stands just start to move.

-S-

If space is at a premium and it doesn’t need to support a lot, I would suggest a wall mounted rack. I believe some of them can also be disassembled relatively easily.
Currently on sale. Client has one of the other models. Excellent. Needs 91 inches of ceiling height

One downside for me to a wall-mounted rack: the distance between the uprights isn't adjustable.

I have a tendency not to put the bar back centered so for a standard length barbell I keep mine an inch or two closer than what, e.g., I have in my power rack. I don't know about anyone else, but while I don't mind looking to the sides when putting a regular SQ back in the rack, it feels weird to do that with a front squat and I am in a FSQ cycle now. And when I switch from FSQ to back squat, because my squat bar is also 10 inches longer than a standard barbell, I set them wider. I've had problem when loading/unload the squat bar if I don't do that.

TL;DR

I have vertigo, an aftereffect of a childhood with severe asthma and allergies. This was diagnosed during 3 days of tests at an ENT practice when I was in my mid-40' when I was having debilitating symptoms every few months. Moving up and down while squatting doesn't help; The 5 x 5 I'm doing also doesn't help as shorter sets keep the symptoms further at bay. I do the best I can but I get dizzy sometimes so I'm kind of picky about the width of my squat uprights, trying to strike the right balance for me so that I stand a chance of putting the bar back on the rack without harm to myself.

Even more TL;DR

The above-mentioned vertigo diagnosis was confirmed, at the end of those 3 days of tests, by giving my intravenous lasix in the doctor's office - I lost several pounds of weight within a couple of hours, and my symptoms were improved. If memory serves, it was 60 mg of Lasix and I lost about a pound every half-hour. I was given a prescription for lasix, which I filled, only ever took a pill one time, and finally threw away.

The choices the doctors gave me were: 1) lasix as needed; 2) figure out other wasy to retain less fluids; 3) have what would have amounted to brain surgery (or at least skull surgery) to try to fix what the doctors believed was an inner ear fluid leakage. I went with choice #2, and greatly reduced the amount of carbs I was eating, and also learned that I need to rely on visual cues for "balance" more than most people and that was OK with me. Now, 20-ish years later, if I eat a lot of carbs once, it's not too bad, e.g., a slice or two of pizza is OK, but more than that and not cutting way back on carbs soon after will mean I'll start to have symptoms again. It's the kind of thing where I can have pasta as a main course one day but have to make sure I keep carbs very low for another day or two after that. I've used keto sticks just for the heck of it a few times and I seem to wander in and out of mild ketosis pretty freely.

Some people think that vertigo means fear of heights - that is properly called "height vertigo" which I do not have, and I'm fine climbing a high ladder, being on the roof of the house, etc. Otherwise, my balance is not normal but I've learned to live with what I have pretty well.

-S-

the whole apparatus doesn't stick out more than 30 inches from a wall. Most I've found so far are 48".
This isn’t 30, but it’s under 48. It’s also cheap.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I enjoyed seeing these guys(Buff Dudes) build their own stand alone squat stand. It's DIY, no welding required. Not for everyone, but I think they did a one-year follow-up on their squat stands and on their DIY power rack and loaded them with ridiculously-high weights without failure.

My first set of squat stands was made by my dad at around 12, and it was made with heavy channel for the base and 2", schedule-40 pipe for the upright. Luckily my dad was an Ironworker and we owned a welder. Never tipped over. I'd still have them but they were sized for a 12 y.o. not someone who's 6'4".

I'd take a look at your local Craigslist. You don't need a set that can handle 800 lbs. Years ago, I bought a cheap rack off Craigslist that I still use to this day. It does have a connecter between the two "sides".

Back
Top Bottom