all posts post new thread

Barbell Squats with PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary Logue

Level 4 Valued Member
Something that has been discussed a few times on here in the past but, I can’t seem to find a definitive solution.
I found this post from the DD forum, were Pavel had allegedly advised backing off to 4 days and, alternating the DL and Squat days.

Has anyone ran squats alongside a press variant and deadlift? If so, what were your results and how was your recovery during training?

Something that has been discussed a few times on here in the past but, I can’t seem to find a definitive solution.
I found this post from the DD forum, were Pavel had allegedly advised backing off to 4 days and, alternating the DL and Squat days.

Has anyone ran squats alongside a press variant and deadlift? If so, what were your results and how was your recovery during training?
@Harald Motz did Zercher Squats and OHP alongside A+A work for an extended period, IIRC, Easy Strength / Even Easier Strength style, with occasional DLs. You might find some valuable info on his insta channel if you go back 1-2 years.

Thanks for the find. Btw, here is Pavel's original answer (which doesn't include any additional info...)
Com.shmathews, SQ 2/week, DL 2/week, and BP 4/week. Power to you!

Thanks for the find. Btw, here is Pavel's original answer (which doesn't include any additional info...)

Likewise.

This is another I stumbled on during my search, some crazy deadlift results from the PTTP programme, app 60kg increase in 1RM in 3 months.

Last edited:

I run presses, squats, and pulls (whether clean DLs, snatch DLs, or some other variant) as the bread and butter basis of my foundational strength training for about 6 months out of the year.

I don't use PTTP programming, but, yes all 3 can peacefully co-exist.

Likewise.

This is another I stumbled on during my search, some crazy deadlift results from the PTTP programme, app 60kg increase in 1RM in 3 months.

It’s not really a 60kg increase in max, the first one is the start of the cycle which is supposed to be 8-16 practices lighter than your max to give you room to ramp up before starting a new cycle. He probably added 30 kg to his lift, which is still good but more realistic.

Last edited:
To reply to the original question - I was thinking of this while I’ve been doing my two-week cycles alternating PTTP with S&S. as a former competitive power lifter I’d seriously consider doing 2 week blocs of 5-3-2 reps as per the PTTP 2.0 program and wave load.

In season or about 16 weeks out looks like this

Bloc A is squats and bench press. As per PTTP I’d start at 65% of my 1rm and lift every weekday, adding 2% for 3 days and then backing off 4%.

Bloc B is deadlifts done identically to above and side press. I wouldn’t worry about a fixed progression on the side press.

I’d warmup both blocs with the S&S warmup and seriously push the goblet squat.

A hypothetical 500 lb squatter at the start would be doing 5-3-2 with 445 lbs 2 weeks prior to the competition - assuming no hiccups or plateaus. When I competed I knew if I could do 5 at that I’m good for about 535 to 550 for my second attempt.

I’d do light bench presses rather than the side press during the last cycle - working down from my last peak rather than up. I’d do the same the last 6 days of my dl - dropping back down to 65-70% of my starting 1rm.

In the off-season I’d do 2-week blocs with variations of the classic lifts addressing my weak points and alternate with 2 week blocs of S&S to address conditioning.

I’ve used Sheiko programs extensively and as a master lifter who lifted in a non-lifter gym I think this would have worked for me. In particular since I didn’t use really tight gear (nobody to pull it on in training).

I should mention - an experienced lifter is not adding 10% to their lifts in one cycle. You would have to back off, as per PTTP, when you can’t get 5 reps and build up again. Personally I would have added 2 week blocs at strategic times of:

Low pause squats or 1/2 squats for the squat
Pause narrow grip benches or 2-3 board presses for the bench
Deadlift standing on 2-3” riser or from 2” below the knees for the deadlift.

Approximately 1 two week cycle out of 5 would be these exercises - which are inspired by Boris Sheiko and Louie Simmons - two great PL coaches.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom