all posts post new thread

SSST

When I first moved to Boulder in 2009, the CrossFit gym I based our olympic weightlifting program out of was run by a certified instructor in the "previous incarnation' of Pavel's hard stye kettlebell course. We did the SSST one day for a WOD and I jumped in. Easy 200 reps, 24kg, switched hands every 10 reps, but never put the bell down. ( I had done some GS in the mid 2000s) The "fittest on the planet" on the other hand were sprinting and gassing and setting the bell down and sprinting and gassing and setting the bell down. I was already an old man at 52 with arthritic hips and still trounced crossfit “kids” 1/2 my age. Not setting the bell down for longer sets is not "fast and loose" active rest, but still (imo) a form of active rest and I think an "effectiveness multiplier" in some fashion (time under tension maybe?) to the primary activity.

Last edited:
Even the snatch test for Certs started out as one hand switch, but the reps were based on your BW I think. I think @Boris Bachmann might remember?
That's right. Bodyweight and age for reps and kettlebell weight. As hard style philosophy progressed and became more about emphasizing power output per rep rather than endurance strength, so the original one hand switch KB test was deemed too GS-y to be hard style and the format changed. Prior to that , there were plenty of disappointed folks who had to retest snatch post cert because they hadn't trained adequately to get a one hand switch set done...I counted for a pro football player at one cert, a lineman who got to within a few reps on a couple of trys and lost the bell...not a happy KB camper.

Not setting the bell down for longer sets is not "fast and loose" active rest, but still (imo) a form of active rest and I think an "effectiveness multiplier" in some fashion (time under tension maybe?) to the primary activity.
This. This. This.

I have long considered the float at mid-body to overhead a “micro rest.” That obviously sounds unusual but, as I’m spearing the bell overhead I consider my engine to be getting a fraction of a second of rest. Multiply that fraction by 200+ and it adds up.

I've passed/done it. It sucked. Like a traumatic incident I've buried it in my subconscious. I believe for the most part during romps through the ROP years back I added an additional snatch day per week and practiced at the top of the minute training until I got to 10/10 for 10 minutes. From there I just added more time snatching without putting the bell down.

Excellent! This makes sense doubly, as it’s building the enormous amount of snatch volume one needs both mentally and physically.

I may have mentioned this, but it sucked. However, I was in pretty good shape.

Also. @WxHerk is my hero!

John, you’re one to talk. The work you have done with The Giant protocol has made you a hero to me and to quite a few others here!!

Some beast’s here! I hate high rep anything, just me, but I just prefer heavy low rep. But the snatch test ( both of them ) is something I’d like to eventually try. I have just started regular half snatching so a loooong way to go, but these kind of post’s are great motivation.

A related question, I prefer to learn new movements with low rep, heavy singles and then work up volume. For snatching my plan is the same, decent weight with low reps, half snatch and when I get stronger, then start lower weight higher reps and learn full snatch. Is this a good idea? It’s worked for all other KB movements for me so I thought I’d keep doing what works for me.

Some beast’s here! I hate high rep anything, just me, but I just prefer heavy low rep. But the snatch test ( both of them ) is something I’d like to eventually try. I have just started regular half snatching so a loooong way to go, but these kind of post’s are great motivation.

A related question, I prefer to learn new movements with low rep, heavy singles and then work up volume. For snatching my plan is the same, decent weight with low reps, half snatch and when I get stronger, then start lower weight higher reps and learn full snatch. Is this a good idea? It’s worked for all other KB movements for me so I thought I’d keep doing what works for me.
That is a solid plan. Don’t be afraid of ladders too. (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) That packs in a lot of practice where you can really be mindful of your form. I like doing 1/2 snatch, reverse 1/2, then full snatch. There is a good A+A program in Speed Metal with those three. It really helps to save your elbows and get a tight arch.

I haven’t tried it but I was just reading an older article on here that had a program that you would snatch for 20 seconds and then rest for 40 seconds, repeating this for ten minutes. I believe that every week you increased your snatch time by ten seconds and reduced your rest by ten seconds until you were hitting the ten minute mark of just snatching the whole time.

I will look for the program and post it here later this morning.
By any chance did you find the program you mentioned? Is it here on the website?

Back
Top Bottom