all posts post new thread

Old Forum ST triceps training question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lsalasl

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm on week 3 of the slow twitch triceps plan outlined in Pavel's recent article (part 2 of the ST series). I have a few naive questions since I'm a stranger to mass training...

1. I know mass gains generally require calorie surplus, but does it matter in this case? I mean, this doesn't target a lot of mass like squats would. I don't need to be too voracious on this plan, do I? (I feel a little weird asking this, but here's where I'm coming from: I've gained some forearm size from climbing while eating less than I do these days.)

2. Doing this doesn't seem to affect my triceps much; I feel it in the upper pecs (I think it's called the "clavicular head") and also front of the shoulders. Yes, I'm keeping my hands under my sternum. I am a little worried that my pecs get tired before my (strong) triceps. Could this compromise the results? Should I plan on another 6 week cycle (in hopes that my pecs will catch up)?

Lsalasl, extra calories would help but not vital for a single small muscle group's hypertrophy.

Play with the angles to focus the load on your tris (think elbow extension).

How do you feel the slow twitch diamond pressups are helping the hypertrophy of your tri's, chest and shoulders?

Whats your rep cadence? Once you can hit 60 seconds without failure per set, are you going to elevate feet (make movement harder)?

Rich

Thanks Pavel. Today, I put some deliberate mental energy into applying the "feed-forward tension" concept discussed in the recent article on ab training (http://www.strongfirst.com/the-top-five-ab-training-mistakes/). That focus helped to adjust the angle slightly and now I feel fatigue where it belongs.

Richard, I can't be certain of mass gains (no measurements taken), but possibly some shoulder growth. As of today, I feel like I've resolved my concern about targeting the right muscles so I might do another cycle of the program. My press strength is increasing, which may have nothing to do with this as it's one of my training focal points already. As for rep cadence, I've been doing about 16-18 reps per minute. Yes, when I make it to 60 sec, I'm going to put my feet on the first step of a staircase.

Anyone else doing this? How's it going? One more thing to remember: plank technique (like this: http://youtu.be/2g6cuklM-mk). Goes hand in hand with the idea of feed-forward tension.

Hey Richard, are you considering trying it? I say go for it if you can fit it into your training (shouldn't be too difficult)!

I just posted an update and a question on the article page (I hope Pavel or someone with understanding of ST training checks the article comments -- seems like article comments aren't always noticed): http://www.strongfirst.com/how-to-build-your-slow-fibers-part-ii/comment-page-2/#comment-161912

I think I'm both seeing and feeling results. Thicker arms (long head of triceps, specifically) and presses feel stronger.

Good luck and keep us posted if you go for it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom