all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Staggered stance 1-H KB swing

RWolfe

Level 4 Valued Member
I've been told I need to work on my single leg stability - specifically glute strength, and in my searches for exercises to achieve this I came across a swing technique that has one foot slightly behind the other - focusing most of the swing dynamics on a single side. I typically do 1 handed swings with a 24 or 32, but backed down to a 16 to give this a try. it seems to work as advertised, but before going up in weight, wanted to hear other's thoughts/experience. is it just a gimmick or is there some science/results behind this? Thanks!

I don’t have enough experience with kettlebells to know. I’ve only ever done regular one and two hand swings. I think there’s lots of proven exercises to help with this need. As a trailer runner and backpacker is like:
Single leg kb deadlifts
Single leg Romanian dead lift
Single leg half squats
Pistols
Banded squats
Banded lateral walks
Banded monster walk
Lateral speed runners
Single leg bridges
Single leg bridges on a physio ball

I do see them on Instagram from time to time, but not usually from the StrongFirst representatives.

I've also seen seated snatches, swings outside the legs, kneeling snatches, and other ballistic variations from our standard versions.

I don't know of any science behind it.

Just tried a few myself for the first time and it does seem to better load the glutes on the front leg, for the given weight.

My thoughts: nothing inherently bad about it... could possibly be useful as a drill, or maybe more... requires getting a lot of technique and form points correct, which many people don't do even with the standard swing... introduces more opportunity for errors to exist and be magnified (as well as harder to spot, interpret, and correct errors)... and any unique benefits (i.e. to glute strength) could probably be better obtained with a better choice such as a single leg deadlift.

All that said, if you like it, it seems like an OK choice! I'd invite you to share a video, if you feel like it.

should be fine, until you don't rotate your lumbar spine and keep it equally square on the same sides.

Some other ideas:
  • stand on one leg with eyes closed
  • stand on a paralette, the second toe tracking the paralette
  • isometric split squat position with ipsilateral kettlebell loading - make sure you fully lockout your hips and they are square for both sides. A 12kb bell will do the job
  • isometric split-squat calf raises
  • one-legged military press
  • staggered-stance deadlift - ipsi- and contralateral loading. You can use it as a warm up for your swing practice
  • airborne squats and its regressions

I've been told I need to work on my single leg stability - specifically glute strength, and in my searches for exercises to achieve this I came across a swing technique that has one foot slightly behind the other - focusing most of the swing dynamics on a single side. I typically do 1 handed swings with a 24 or 32, but backed down to a 16 to give this a try. it seems to work as advertised, but before going up in weight, wanted to hear other's thoughts/experience. is it just a gimmick or is there some science/results behind this? Thanks!

If stability is the goal, why a ballistic move?

Staggered stance isn't the same as one-legged.

Second what @watchnerd says. You can follow Coach Dan John's progression protocol in Intervention. Pattern --> Grind --> Asymmetry and sort the issue over there first.

I am going to join the chorus of people on this thread saying its a BAD IDEA. A much better idea is Single Leg RDL...or Lunges or even Turkish Get Up. A ballistic move while the body is off ballance could be dangerous. On the other hand, a Hard Style Kettlebell Jerk may work, when you finish with one leg in front and one behind.

Not a terrible idea, but in the spirit of tackling your goals (single leg stability and glute strength) as directly as possible, a little SLDL and Split Squat work goes a long way:

Back
Top Bottom