all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Starting FPP /fighter pullup program with "submaximal" load

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lais817

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi all, I am planning on starting the FPP (The Fighter Pullup Program Revisited | StrongFirst) to complement my S&S practice. Current RM for pullups is 5-6, however I was thinking of starting with the 3RM program, to hopefully build up to it a bit more gradually.

My question to the forum is: will I see any real benefit in starting well below my RM? In my mind it will almost be an Easy strength sort of approach, as the 3RM starts with 3,2,1,1 and builds to 5,4,3,2 1 over 2 weeks.

Reactions: Ege
Hello,

The sets and reps are slightly different in ES. Plus, ES makes you do 2 x 5 (if I remember correctly) and you increase the weight as time goes by. FPP makes you increase volume.

When I read '5-6', I tend to think '5 on a normal day, 6 on a good day'. Therefore, you will not start 'that far' from the prescribed RM. To a certain extent, I think it can even help you as far as recovery is concerned. Some programmes use this principle, such as 5/3/1. Yes, you'll see benefits. As Pavel is an expert, if he states 3RM, I guess there's a reason, but that does not mean it will not work to still a [great] degree with your approach. It may just be not as much as Pavel's original programme.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

The sets and reps are slightly different in ES. Plus, ES makes you do 2 x 5 (if I remember correctly) and you increase the weight as time goes by. FPP makes you increase volume.

When I read '5-6', I tend to think '5 on a normal day, 6 on a good day'. Therefore, you will not start 'that far' from the prescribed RM. To a certain extent, I think it can even help you as far as recovery is concerned. Some programmes use this principle, such as 5/3/1. Yes, you'll see benefits. As Pavel is an expert, if he states 3RM, I guess there's a reason, but that does not mean it will not work to still a [great] degree with your approach. It may just be not as much as Pavel's original programme.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks @pet' I think I had my words crossed a little with the comparison to Easy strength, I've been jumping between different books too much with my reading I think.

I was thinking the 3RM program instead of the 5RM program would be a better starting point, as I should be able to guarantee near perfect form for all reps. Will keep track in my log and see how I progress.

@lais817
I've done a lot of cycles of the 3RM Fighter Pullup Program using a 5RM (using weighted pullups).

This usually results in a weight that was a tough set of 5 becoming a comfortable set of 5 by the end, and my actual 5RM going up. In my experience, it's a great approach that makes it much less likely to stall during the program, and makes it sustainable for multiple cycles in row, adding a little weight each time.

@lais817
I've done a lot of cycles of the 3RM Fighter Pullup Program using a 5RM (using weighted pullups).

This usually results in a weight that was a tough set of 5 becoming a comfortable set of 5 by the end, and my actual 5RM going up. In my experience, it's a great approach that makes it much less likely to stall during the program, and makes it sustainable for multiple cycles in row, adding a little weight each time.
Thanks Steve, that's what I was hoping to hear, glad to know it has worked successfully for others. I'm trying to be conscious of biting off too much on top of S&S and ruining the good progress I'm making in that program.

Hi all, I am planning on starting the FPP (The Fighter Pullup Program Revisited | StrongFirst) to complement my S&S practice. Current RM for pullups is 5-6, however I was thinking of starting with the 3RM program, to hopefully build up to it a bit more gradually.

My question to the forum is: will I see any real benefit in starting well below my RM? In my mind it will almost be an Easy strength sort of approach, as the 3RM starts with 3,2,1,1 and builds to 5,4,3,2 1 over 2 weeks.
Hi;

In terms of starting light it make total sense but I would even recommend using Fabio’s TRM

Basically it is the Pull Up that you can do with best technique.

I can’t emphasize more on technique when it comes to Pull Ups. I will be very straight forward. It is quite difficult for some one with 3-5 pull up RM to have indeed even 1 TRM. Using full dead hang at bottom, and more challenging full scapular retraction at the top. If you aim perfection, you would need to hang and work on your scapular retractions your grip strength etc. Pull up is one of those exercises that is an inch wide but a mile deep.

My PR is 7 in pull ups. But I have stopped going after count ( although doing my best to have full hang and retraction at top) working on scapular retraction etc.

Fighter Pull Up program in my opinion is a very advanced program. (An intermediate person can easily use bad form chasing numbers. I saw a youtube video on this. A guy who was much stronger than me doing program and he did not like it etc. His form was bad he was hunching at top. Although he is a strong guy he messed the program and I think he now has even worse pull ups.

I am now working on three things to increase pull up. 1) Dead hang time. 2) Scapular retraction up down at the bottom hang. 3) Top scapular retracted hold.

How many seconds you can hold flexed Scapular retracted chest fully open bar easily below chin or touching chest?

Hi;

In terms of starting light it make total sense but I would even recommend using Fabio’s TRM

Basically it is the Pull Up that you can do with best technique.

I can’t emphasize more on technique when it comes to Pull Ups. I will be very straight forward. It is quite difficult for some one with 3-5 pull up RM to have indeed even 1 TRM. Using full dead hang at bottom, and more challenging full scapular retraction at the top. If you aim perfection, you would need to hang and work on your scapular retractions your grip strength etc. Pull up is one of those exercises that is an inch wide but a mile deep.

My PR is 7 in pull ups. But I have stopped going after count ( although doing my best to have full hang and retraction at top) working on scapular retraction etc.

Fighter Pull Up program in my opinion is a very advanced program. (An intermediate person can easily use bad form chasing numbers. I saw a youtube video on this. A guy who was much stronger than me doing program and he did not like it etc. His form was bad he was hunching at top. Although he is a strong guy he messed the program and I think he now has even worse pull ups.

I am now working on three things to increase pull up. 1) Dead hang time. 2) Scapular retraction up down at the bottom hang. 3) Top scapular retracted hold.

How many seconds you can hold flexed Scapular retracted chest fully open bar easily below chin or touching chest?
If I would really want to start this program I would start as if I have 3 RM. in SF articles there is a version that helps to start from 3 RM. This might be a good idea to perfect the technique. The program still will be very challanging.. Imagine almost doubling your pull up in one month while keeping form perfect.

If I would really want to start this program I would start as if I have 3 RM. in SF articles there is a version that helps to start from 3 RM. This might be a good idea to perfect the technique. The program still will be very challanging.. Imagine almost doubling your pull up in one month while keeping form perfect.
That's what I'm doing, those were my thoughts exactly

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom