all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Step Up Thread

I've started doing these a bit recently as a zone 2 session. Just put on my ruck and step up and down at a moderate pace for 45-60 mins. Haven't worred about sticking a specific cadence, just go by feel - backing off slightly if effort feels like it is creeping up too much, and accelerating a bit when its feeling too easy. Feel like I'm able to easily stay in zone 2, and these are surprisingly easy to recover from - no DOMS, which surprised me. It's boring, but so is any indoor cardio - and I prefer this to the treadmill/bike/elliptical. I also do outdoor rucking, but don't consider that a workout - its just time outdoors and at more of a zone 1 effort - as I struggle to make that a consistent zone 2 effort.

Curious how folks view the target adaptations of the HRST training differently than a simpler, straight-up zone 2 session?

“Rob Shaul came up with a blaster of a training program for me.” It’s got to be a reference to Leg Blasters….?

Or do people actually use the term “blaster” (outside of that training regimen and Star Wars) to describe things in 2024?

I also love step-ups. Easy access, cheap and very versatile.

I am just curious if people who have used it a lot are feeling any pains or aches in their knees ?

I have a couple of MTI's programs, the Bodyweight Program, and Work Capacity Program. Both incorporate Progressions using the Leg Blaster Circuit, as well as Step Ups, Lunges, and squats within the Programs, as well as one day per week of running, progressing up to the longest run being 5 miles.

Here is a link to a Crossift Hero WOD involving Step Ups, that I regularly use in my own personal programming. I consistently get 1000 step ups in 60 minutes, so I no longer count the step ups, but simply set my watch for 60 minutes:

I don't find that step ups bother my knees as much as running. I regularly use high rep BW Squats (in the 1000 rep range), lunges, and step ups, to support my trail running missions, without the high impact and pounding caused by running.

Here is another link that may be of interest:

For backcountry endurance, Rob SHAUL is now also programming step up and trail running to develop boot packing and skinning endurance for the professional skiers that he trains.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom