all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Stiff neck from ( too ) heavy dbl front squats

Halfakneecap

Level 6 Valued Member
My neck has been stiff/tight since 2nd of Jan, after I tried to press a 32kg bell. I managed to push press it both sides, and being the idiot I am, instead of being happy with that, I kept going.

Since then, It’s been tight after C&P&FSQ, though I’ve also moved up bell size 28’s from 24’s.

I finally worked out, that after C&P with the 28’s, my upper back is fatigued, and when I go to front squat, I’ve been shrugging the bells up, rather than them sitting in the rack. Form otherwise is fine, I don’t fall forward or struggle with the squat, it just took doing it in front of a mirror and also noticing it was tough to get a breath in before squatting to realise.

Going to have 2 weeks off and re try. I might just start with heavy dbl cleans to build my upper back and get used to the rack with 28’s, always wanted to do a run of just dbl clean

Bit of a random thread but thought I’d share, it’s been annoying me greatly.

There's a lot of moving parts in that description. Sounds like something that will likely it'll work itself out with a bit of time and backing off what's aggravating it. I wouldn't suggest "2 weeks off" entirely... just reduce the weight, and keep moving. Unless I misunderstood you.

I finally worked out, that after C&P with the 28’s, my upper back is fatigued, and when I go to front squat, I’ve been shrugging the bells up, rather than them sitting in the rack. Form otherwise is fine, I don’t fall forward or struggle with the squat, it just took doing it in front of a mirror and also noticing it was tough to get a breath in before squatting to realise.
I have dealt with neck tension and pressing for years, and have almost cleared it entirely. Reading your post, I think you found what was wrong already. Keeping tension out of the neck and in the shoulder girdle is definitely a skill. I agree with @Anna C though, I think you would be fine just reducing the weight for a bit and cleaning up the technique. Something that has helped me with my own neck tension issues was just that. Using a lighter weight, so there's feedback. That way I can feel things working the way I need.

Two things that make a big difference is self massage with a tennis ball in a sock to roll the muscles out and hanging from a pull up bar.

There's a lot of moving parts in that description. Sounds like something that will likely it'll work itself out with a bit of time and backing off what's aggravating it. I wouldn't suggest "2 weeks off" entirely... just reduce the weight, and keep moving. Unless I misunderstood you.
I have no issues with lighter weights at all. It’s just been hanging around, like, I can turn my neck pretty well ROM wise, it’s just tight and annoyed.

My trusty 24’s look good for when I resume

I have dealt with neck tension and pressing for years, and have almost cleared it entirely. Reading your post, I think you found what was wrong already. Keeping tension out of the neck and in the shoulder girdle is definitely a skill. I agree with @Anna C though, I think you would be fine just reducing the weight for a bit and cleaning up the technique. Something that has helped me with my own neck tension issues was just that. Using a lighter weight, so there's feedback. That way I can feel things working the way I need.
Thanks Jeff, I’ll use my 24’s next week I think.

As per the cleans and swings thread, I’m going to do a 4 week run of pure double cleans ( Russian bear @ strongashec.com ). 3 x a week, 2 days 2x24’s ( my comfortable weight ) and 1 day 2x28’s ( heavier weight ).

Think it will help clean up my technique:)

My neck has been stiff/tight since 2nd of Jan, after I tried to press a 32kg bell. I managed to push press it both sides, and being the idiot I am, instead of being happy with that, I kept going.

Since then, It’s been tight after C&P&FSQ, though I’ve also moved up bell size 28’s from 24’s.

Going to have 2 weeks off and re try. I might just start with heavy dbl cleans to build my upper back and get used to the rack with 28’s, always wanted to do a run of just dbl clean

Bit of a random thread but thought I’d share, it’s been annoying me greatly.
Lol I've been there!

Back
Top Bottom