all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength Aerobics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrew Duncan

Level 4 Valued Member
I've started incorporating the Strength Aerobics clean-press-front squat complex (Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst) into my practice - alternating day to day with S&S as per Pavel's recommendation. I had a couple of questions regarding the protocol:

First, should I be working to my MAF number? I ask because I understand grinds to have different metabolic demands than ballistics such that tracking heart rate is not as important. For instance, today I completed a 40 minute strength aerobics session, performing one set (i.e. one clean-press-front squat) every 30 seconds. I noticed my heart rate to be approximately 165 bpm for the majority of the session (my MAF number is 154), but my breath was relatively calm - I have noticed a similar occurrence when I do my get-ups. I was able to pass the talk test between sets too - actually seemed to get easier as the session continued.

Second, could this protocol be used in lieu of LSD work? I have been walking/rucking 2-3 times per week for some time now and found that it has benefited my S&S progress. Would similar aerobic adaptations occur with a strength aerobics protocol?

Andrew,
I believe the MAF number is a good starting point but changes a bit based on level of "conditioning" (180-age + 5 if you have been training without injury for 2 years etc... for example)

What has your HR been during the rucking?

First, should I be working to my MAF number?

No. In podcast #6, I explain why.

Keep the intensity of your lifting such that you can recover rather quickly. This may or may not correspond to your MAF. Breathing is probably a better guide than HR w/r to resistance training.

Second, could this protocol be used in lieu of LSD work? Would similar aerobic adaptations occur with a strength aerobics protocol?

No. Nothing else compares to LED locomotive work for the resulting adaptions. Use your rucking to bring down your HR during your resistance training, making it both easier and less of a biological cost.

No. In podcast #6, I explain why.

Keep the intensity of your lifting such that you can recover rather quickly. This may or may not correspond to your MAF. Breathing is probably a better guide than HR w/r to resistance training.

No. Nothing else compares to LED locomotive work for the resulting adaptions. Use your rucking to bring down your HR during your resistance training, making it both easier and less of a biological cost.
Looking forward to the podcast! If breathing is the guide - what is the cue to know you're ready, or the warning sign to slow down? I imagine for the latter, it's if you become increasingly more out of breath each successive set, to the point you no longer can get a sentence out before starting the next set?

Brett, my HR when I ruck is roughly 140 bpm; I don't own a HR monitor so can't provide an exact number. Typically I'll walk with a mouthful of water forcing myself to breath through my nose and let my breath dictate my pace.

Al, what is your recommendation in regards to LSD work with S&S? I should mention my only goal at present is progressing in S&S as far as I can.

Looking forward to the podcast! If breathing is the guide - what is the cue to know you're ready, or the warning sign to slow down? I imagine for the latter, it's if you become increasingly more out of breath each successive set, to the point you no longer can get a sentence out before starting the next set?

Ultimately, its your ability to recover in a given time period, which is itself affected by other areas of your life. So, it's part of the learning process of the practice. That said, ventilation should be approaching that of rest before you start another work period, and, your body can replicate force production. So sometimes, as your learning to use this tool, you don't get enough feedback until you start the set.

Al, what is your recommendation in regards to LSD work with S&S? I should mention my only goal at present is progressing in S&S as far as I can.

Accumulate several hours per week at a low intensity. Using this as a tool to support your health and resistance training goals, there is never a reason to crank up the intensity.

Now THERE’s a podcast I definitely won’t miss!

Really appreciate the sentiment, Jim! I don't know that I'm happy with my part in the interview but I'm excited to hear the final edit. I haven't been thinking much about the material we discussed as I have in the past and I think it shows.

If we didn't get to any questions you might have been harboring, just ask in the comments section of the podcast post. I'll get to them.

Ultimately, its your ability to recover in a given time period, which is itself affected by other areas of your life. So, it's part of the learning process of the practice. That said, ventilation should be approaching that of rest before you start another work period, and, your body can replicate force production. So sometimes, as your learning to use this tool, you don't get enough feedback until you start the set.

Accumulate several hours per week at a low intensity. Using this as a tool to support your health and resistance training goals, there is never a reason to crank up the intensity.

Really appreciate the sentiment, Jim! I don't know that I'm happy with my part in the interview but I'm excited to hear the final edit. I haven't been thinking much about the material we discussed as I have in the past and I think it shows.

If we didn't get to any questions you might have been harboring, just ask in the comments section of the podcast post. I'll get to them.

Hello Al, can you provide a link and/or schedule for the podcast? This is the first I've heard of it and I'm greatly interested. Thanks much

Hello Al, can you provide a link and/or schedule for the podcast? This is the first I've heard of it and I'm greatly interested. Thanks much
Keep an eye here. They are through #4, so his is coming up in #6 (date unknown). I heard there is a certain Chief for #5...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom