all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength and Fat Loss

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
But I’ve never done them consistently for any period of time. There seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal experience, so maybe there’s something there anyway. I suspect that exercising fasted encourages the body to do something useful with those calories other than storing more fat.

Anecdotally I think the response to this is going to vary by person. Thib is no fan of using it to control bodyfat.

Generally the body burns more fat in response to lowered muscle glucose levels, and this effect will last until and after glucose is topped off.
Another part of this is that the body won't store hardly any surplus carbs as fat even in a sedentary person at a large surplus. It will resort to burning more carbs/less fat (REE can increase as much as 30%) and topping off every possible storage site to the brim.

In an exercising individual, de novo lipogenesis from excess carbs is a virtual impossibility, but you certainly won't burn much of your fat stores either, unless you train at a high enough intensity to deplete local storage sites of glucose.

Based on my very limited understanding, if you train fasted at high intensity it will achieve the goal of higher fat burn post exercise, somewhat, due to having smaller glucose stores to winnow down (IIRC a 15 minute HIIT session can trash muscle glucose storage by 50% or more anyway). At lower intensities it probably won't do anything that training after a meal would do.

Today was my first day training whilst fasting. It was not as tough as I had thought it would be. I am pleasantly surprised.

I like the idea of training fasted - makes a good case for anti fragility.

Hello,

Today was my first day training whilst fasting. It was not as tough as I had thought it would be. I am pleasantly surprised.

Good :)
If you like it, keep it and see what happen in a few weeks :) ! Give yourself time

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think it's good for metabolic flexibility.

For me, I would say the same for IF -- it helps me with metabolic flexibility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom