all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength/Endurance Programming advice please...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KIWIQU82

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi team,

Background:

My name is Jeremy and I am a 39 year old male.

I'm am currently a frontline Police Officer and wear a ballistic vest when on duty.

Previously I was a full-time Tactical Officer so I have a solid foundation of fitness and a solid work ethic.

Due to my age and previous role, I do have some aches and pains due to previous injuries etc. but overall I have found them to be manageable.

I scored well on the functional movement test (always room for improvement though).

I have done S&S previously and up until recently was doing ROP.

I liked that these routines (S&S and ROP) could be completed within a 30-40 minute window, but felt that although I improved in certain areas (overhead press for example), I did not improve in other areas (lower body and horizontal push for example).

Goals:

My goal is to have a BALANCE of FULL_BODY strength and endurance. I don't want to be too narrow-focused.

I intend to work towards a Krav Maga instructor role also.

Recommendations sought:

I'm looking for a full-body strength/endurance routine that utilizes compound bodyweight exercises that can be made progressively more difficult by simply adding weight.

I have a window of around 30 minutes in which to get my work done and get out so it needs to be an efficient routine.

I work 6 days on, 3 days off.

So...I'd like to gather some opinions from members (incl. Pavel) on the following routine which I've thrown together:

Day 1:
Dips and Pull ups - 5x Ascending Ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 (15 reps total per ladder)
Ab Wheel/TRX Roll outs

Day 2:
Pistols (with a single leg calf raise at the top) and Nordic Curls - 5x Ascending Ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 (15 reps total per ladder)
Plank

Days 3, 4, 5, 6 simply cycle through Day 1 and 2 again.

Day 6 is followed by 3 days of active rest/recovery then back into the 6 day cycle.

Once all ladders and all reps can be completed with excellent form, I plan to add more weight.

In terms of volume, this gives me 200 - 225 quality reps of each exercise per week at a known weight.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

I like your routine. And I think Pavel would approve. :)

If you could just add some heavy kettlebell swings or barbell deadlifts once or twice a week on Day 1... Seems like that would complement and complete the picture.

Nothing else jumps out at me as needing a change, but perhaps others will have some comments.

I think jump squats or short sprints in Q&D format fits as a bodyweight only conditioning for LEOs well. We need strength and power endurance to handle when dude decides to break bad before our buddies can help.

One could make a third day of some form of power conditioning and do three day splits instead of two.

Hello,

If we go for something along those lines, I found this on Josh Bryant's instagram (@Jailhousestrong)

"Bang out a burpee pyramid workout.

For this workout complete what is a called a Four Count Burpee
Count 1 - Drop into a squat position and place your hands on the ground.
Count 2 - In one rapid motion, push your feet straight back into a plank (push-up position). Count 3 - In one quick movement, again return to the squat position.
Count 4 - Return to the original starting position.
To make the workout more difficult, you can add a pushup or a jump to the movement.

The workout is as follows:

Complete one burpee
Walk eight feet
Complete two burpees
Walk eight feet
Complete three burpees
Walk eight feet
Complete four burpees
Walk eight feet
Continue until you reach ten burpees, then go back down until you reach one burpee. At the completion of this pyramid you will have completed 100 burpees. In addition, you will have done a functional workout that has direct transference to most combat sports, which have a period of continuous moderate output (the walking portion of the pyramid) followed by bursts of explosive movement (the burpee portion of the pyramid). If you’re new to this workout, aim for fifteen minutes. An intermediate level is inside of twelve minutes and an advanced level is inside of ten minutes."

Kind regards,

Pet'

Bobby "Maximus" MacDonald, calls them "prison burpees" and does them 1-20. The idea was what could you do if restricted to a prison cell for overall fitness.

What equipment do you have available? I'm no expert but it might help others advise. Do you have kettlebells or a barbell you can use? Do you have an area for sprinting or a set of stairs?

@KIWIQU82 - Welcome!

I agree some crawling/ walking/ jogging/ running/ skipping would be extremely valuable.

I was on PST for a wee while and I found two things were useful.

Recovery - whats seems like a great plan needs to be flexible, so that if you're smashed from 10hrs dealing with 'people' the day before you can still keep practising the movement patterns but reduce the volume/ intensity so that long term you will still progress.

'Filing the gaps' - Running/ dips/ pull ups etc are very limited in their planes of motion. Doing stuff that 'fills the gaps' is really important for injury prevention / body awareness. Stuff like Original Strength / weighed mobility work etc. is great. Perhaps you are already doing it with your Krava Maga? - in which case disregard.

I like your routine. And I think Pavel would approve. :)

If you could just add some heavy kettlebell swings or barbell deadlifts once or twice a week on Day 1... Seems like that would complement and complete the picture.

Nothing else jumps out at me as needing a change, but perhaps others will have some comments.

Thanks for your input Anna. I really appreciate it.

@KIWIQU82 - Welcome!

I agree some crawling/ walking/ jogging/ running/ skipping would be extremely valuable.

I was on PST for a wee while and I found two things were useful.

Recovery - whats seems like a great plan needs to be flexible, so that if you're smashed from 10hrs dealing with 'people' the day before you can still keep practising the movement patterns but reduce the volume/ intensity so that long term you will still progress.

'Filing the gaps' - Running/ dips/ pull ups etc are very limited in their planes of motion. Doing stuff that 'fills the gaps' is really important for injury prevention / body awareness. Stuff like Original Strength / weighed mobility work etc. is great. Perhaps you are already doing it with your Krava Maga? - in which case disregard.

You make some valid points regarding mobility as strength isn't everything IMO.

I have actually just started reading OS and so far it looks like it would be ideal for the "active rest" day.

And I think you are 100% correct...ANY routine should be flexible so that if you are feeling a little beat up, you can scale back the volume/intensity.

I think jump squats or short sprints in Q&D format fits as a bodyweight only conditioning for LEOs well. We need strength and power endurance to handle when dude decides to break bad before our buddies can help.

One could make a third day of some form of power conditioning and do three day splits instead of two.

I hadn't considered a 3 day split utilising a conditioning format but that could work... although it would reduce the weekly volume for the strength exercises.

Definitely something to consider. Thanks

What equipment do you have available? I'm no expert but it might help others advise. Do you have kettlebells or a barbell you can use? Do you have an area for sprinting or a set of stairs?

I have a pull up bar and a set of parallel bars obviously + a beltbut and some plates so I can add weight.

I also have rings, a "plyo box" for box jumps, and some light(ish) KBs (16kg, 20kg, 24kg).

Thanks

Hello,

@KIWIQU82
Welcome !

Maybe the routine below can interest you:

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've read this before and I really like the methodology presented. However, I want to keep things "bare bones" simple if possible.

To find my 3, 6, and 10 TRM (which will change as my strength and endurance improve) for each of the exercises and to use that as a baseline seems to add unnecessary complexity.

With the ladder style, when you can complete ALL of the 5 ascending ladders you know it's time to add weight. There are no calculations required so it's dead simple.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom