all posts post new thread

Barbell Strength Maintenance Reps/Sets/Frequency

Nick Stevens

Level 3 Valued Member
I’ve spent some time bringing up my Zercher Squat 1RM to 265lbs over the last year and a bit. My current strength goals are to increase my Deadlift strength, to increase my 32kg RM on the Kettlebell Press, and to get back into swinging/snatching.

As a dad of two young kids, I don’t have a ton of time to focus on a lot of goals, but I really don’t want to lose the strength I’ve built in the ZS.

I was thinking of just doing Squats 1x per week, but was hoping for advice on maintenance reps/sets/percentage. I was thinking 3-5 ladders of 1,2,3 at 225lbs, which is about 85%. I’ve heard 3x3 at 90%is a good format too, but I tend to respond better to more reps.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the feedback.

I was thinking of just doing Squats 1x per week, but was hoping for advice on maintenance reps/sets/percentage. I was thinking 3-5 ladders of 1,2,3 at 225lbs, which is about 85%. I’ve heard 3x3 at 90%is a good format too, but I tend to respond better to more reps.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the feedback.
Just do 3 sets of 5 reps, it'll take a lot less time than 3-5 ladders. Start at a weight you know you can do easily (maybe 185-205lbs), do it once a week, and when it is too easy, add 5-10lbs. If you add weight one week and then its "too hard," just stick with that weight for a couple weeks until it gets easier.

If you got to do a session one week and feel like crap, just do 2-3-5-2-3 or, if you're really feeling like crap, do 1-2-3-1-2-3, with the weight you were going to do 3x5. This serves as a nice little deload in the event of lack of sleep, kid illness, being old, etc.

If you want to do ladders, what you said will work just fine. I just find that fewer straight sets take less time. That's the only real reason I lean towards something like I recommended.

As long as you are doing something, you will maintain your strength. I’d suggest getting a copy of easy strength. There is a ton of simple reps schemes in it.

As a dad of two young kids, I don’t have a ton of time to focus on a lot of goals, but I really don’t want to lose the strength I’ve built in the ZS.
Forgive me but I wouldn't be concerned with losing your strength in a particular lift. Life is long and the skill of strength, once attained, usually comes back pretty quickly after a layoff. I started lifting when my kids were young and have taken many layoffs from one kind of lifting in order to do another, and my core lift, the barbell deadlift, always comes back to me to my previous levels of strength (and has actually continued to improve).

My suggestion is to think "maintenance mode" rather than trying to keep your personal best on any lift. Do what it takes to keep you healthy and happy, whatever that is, and change it up whenever you feel the need to.

-S-

I have found that doing DL or ZS maintains my max with in reach or the other. Pick the goal achieve it and re access. Remember it’s easier to get back to where you have been than to build a new.

Somewhere in this forum there’s a post from Pavel M. About doing PTTP 3x a week with presses using a M,H,L model with ladders. Your goals reminded me of it. That shouldn’t take more than 20 mins 3x a week then add in swings and snatches where you can.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This all definitely gives some solid guidance to maintenance. I’ll experiment with all this!

Back
Top Bottom