all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Strong endurance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

minda

Level 2 Valued Member
Please commment, critique and give advice on how to improve my routine bellow.
My goal is to increse endurance and stamina it total, to have something in the tank while other are grasping for breath.

I do kettlebell swings 7 reps (both hands) every 30 seconds cca. 12 sec work 18 sec rest. with kettel bell 20 kg
Currenty I am doing 60 sets (30min) with 5 min cooldown, 5 sessions per week.
My goal is reach max of x80 sets, than switch to havier bell.

I started with 40 sets (20kg), every rep is explosive, and I finnish the workout if I fail talking test. I have been monitorin my heart rate during the session and my HR max. is 170, HR average 130. Workout feel good, I do it allmost every day in the morning.
After cca. 15-20 days, 10-15 workouts I increse Volume for another x10 sets

My questions are:
Am I doing it too much 5 workouts per week? I know to do 4 in a row (too much?)
Is this the right workout for me? any twiks to improve it?
Is some other routine better to reach my goal?

Thank for all the feedback
Cheers!
Toni

If it's giving you what you want, keep it up. When it stops working, then look to change it.

When you go up a bell, or the volume builds, you may find you need more rest, but until then, just go with it.

I do something similar once or maybe twice a year in 12 week blocks, but I do 7 x reps 2H KB swings EMOM for building up to 60 mins. Just done that with 36kg, then will do the same thing with 40kg. I start on 20 mins per week, then go up 4 mins a session, drop back at start of next week. Works out at about 14-15 seconds works and then 45-46 seconds rest, so 1:3 work to rest ratio

So: 20, 24, 28 mins first week; 24, 28, 32 mins second; etc. Have done it between 2-5 times a week and tbh don't notice much difference. If doing 2-3 a week tend to do some easy strength work 2 days a week as well.

Thank guys for your inputs!
Maybe someone with greather knowledge of Strong endurance than me can correct/improve my sessions.
(I dont know much about strong endurance programming), maybe I can get the same result or more with less?
As I said if there is someone with experience and knowledge about endurance programming please give me a hand

Thank guys for your inputs!
Maybe someone with greather knowledge of Strong endurance than me can correct/improve my sessions.
(I dont know much about strong endurance programming), maybe I can get the same result or more with less?
As I said if there is someone with experience and knowledge about endurance programming please give me a hand
@minda

I am a Strong Endurance attendee. I do my best to study the manual. I have a couple of thoughts to offer.

You seem to have a good relationship with this bell size to perform repeats in the way you describe. and, if you're making progress, I'd be hesitant to change anything about what you're doing right now. Also, just from what I've read here, you seem to be outside the bounds of Strong Endurance programming. This is not necessarily a problem, whatsoever.​
I will say that if you are progressing, and you're recovering well, there isn't much to be improved upon. If you want to talk optimization relative to your goals, you would do well to have a consult with an SFG to go over your log, and your goals, and see how you can best get from where you are to where you want to go. But as I've found in my own training greed often gives way to injury. As @Brett Jones opines, enjoy the process.​
While I could make an offering, it would largely be from a layperson's perspective. So, very large grains of salt should be taken with any kind of customized programming I might be concocting. I'm largely a walking talking N=1-sized experimental lab rat, studying himself. And, I'm largely sympathetic with the recently retired Rif. Solve your own training problems. I think it's good for us to wrestle a bit with our own journey. And, it's ok to ask for help.​

I would suggest that this stratum of performance ( 7x80=560 reps || 5 days/week -> 2800 reps * 20kg = 5600kg ) is not quite what the Strong Endurance programming seems to have in mind. And, just going by what I'm reading here, I wouldn't dream of confining you to Strong Endurance parameters. But, using them to augment your current plan, that's another conversation that you could have.

I'll say that if you want to shrink your training, to fit Strong Endurance, you might take up a heavier weight, and reduce your reps. the particulars of that, again, I could offer, but not with the highest degree of confidence. But, there's no real reason to limit yourself if you have aspirations to higher reps; just as I happen to have a penchant for having aspirations that are biased toward higher weights.

so, I'd like to reiterate: given that you have such a strong development of capacity with this bell and this movement, if you want to take it beyond where you're at, I would recommend you invest in a consult with an SFG. maybe you'll discuss any logs you have of your work thus far, where you are currently, and where you want your training to take you.

CAVEAT:
With all that said. I would like to offer some assurance to onlookers, that for all the great things that Strong Endurance has to offer (and they span a great range of tools for any coach/practitioner), for the average joe, I believe that Q&D training is the Crème de la crème of strong endurance programming. 10x10 || Victor || 033 || 044 . If you have SPP aspirations, then some of those goals might be served well by incorporating some strong endurance programming. But, again - I would be inclined to consult an SFG to better guide that ship.

Last edited:
Please commment, critique and give advice on how to improve my routine bellow.
My goal is to increse endurance and stamina it total, to have something in the tank while other are grasping for breath.

I do kettlebell swings 7 reps (both hands) every 30 seconds cca. 12 sec work 18 sec rest. with kettel bell 20 kg
Currenty I am doing 60 sets (30min) with 5 min cooldown, 5 sessions per week.
My goal is reach max of x80 sets, than switch to havier bell.

I started with 40 sets (20kg), every rep is explosive, and I finnish the workout if I fail talking test. I have been monitorin my heart rate during the session and my HR max. is 170, HR average 130. Workout feel good, I do it allmost every day in the morning.
After cca. 15-20 days, 10-15 workouts I increse Volume for another x10 sets

My questions are:
Am I doing it too much 5 workouts per week? I know to do 4 in a row (too much?)
Is this the right workout for me? any twiks to improve it?
Is some other routine better to reach my goal?

Thank for all the feedback
Cheers!
Toni
5x per week seem s quite a bit. What's more: 7 reps every 30 seconds is more of an endurance protocol on the spectrum from endurance to power.

Classic A+A would be something like heavyish sets of 5 every 70-90 seconds - focusing more on power, 2-4x per week. Power training has the advantage of having good carryover to both pure strength and endurance. (refer to Q&D for details, to echo @Adachi).

Your protocol might work for you (being somewhat similar to plan 060), but I would suggest cutting reps at least to 5, maybe increasing rest periods and possibly going heavier. Megan Kelly does something similar, training for the "2H swings tonnage within an hour" world record, but she trains mostly 3-6 reps every 30 seconds or 5-7 reps every 60 seconds.

I have allways been interesting in swings as conditioning. So Im follow this.

Right now Im doing 5rep/min for ten min. If increasing this to 20 or 30min. Maybe that would work great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom