all posts post new thread

Barbell Strong first,big second

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Markosix

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all.First time poster here.I am 38, male with quite few years of training history but I had some time off.I am 190 cm tall and weight around 105 kg.My best lifts were 200 kg DL 170 SQ and 120 BP.It was 10 years ago and now everything is 25% less and I don't squat anymore.For me only low bar feels right but I don't want to do it anymore because of some injuries I had.My thorasic spine and shoulders don't like low bar squat and ohp and my knees don't like any other form of squats.
So I decided to become as strong as possibile on deadlift bench press and pull ups and to add some size to my upper body.My legs grow just from walking.Question is how to do it.I can train 3 days a week and my recovery isn't what it used to be.Should I train all three lifts every day or should I have different days for every lift and what progression model to use.Should I use assistance exercises or go bare bones.That is the question.Thank you all in advance.

I suggest you find a good physio who can rehab your knees and start squatting. Low-bar squat is not a must but some type of squat is. Shoulders are also important for lifting.

If you just want to lift... well BP and pull ups can go hand in hand. That's Friday. If you're fresh (instead of washed) from the weekend Monday is heavy DL. On Wednesday a lighter day for DL and BP. If your weekend is taxing, switch Monday and Friday. Throw some special exercises for back, knees, legs, shoulders, triceps.

Thank you for finding time to answer to my question.It's hard to say everything in short message.What I meant was that DL BP and PLP are only exercises I really want to push hard.Everything else will be done light weight.I like your split but my main question is about progresion model.My best strength gains came from stupid s*** like squat at monday to 1rm at rpe9.Same for bench at wednsday same for deadlift at friday .
But I can't do it any more and it's hard mentally to train any other way.Thank you again.

Thank you for finding time to answer to my question.It's hard to say everything in short message.What I meant was that DL BP and PLP are only exercises I really want to push hard.Everything else will be done light weight.I like your split but my main question is about progresion model.My best strength gains came from stupid s*** like squat at monday to 1rm at rpe9.Same for bench at wednsday same for deadlift at friday .
But I can't do it any more and it's hard mentally to train any other way.Thank you again.

Stupid S***? I understand the need to lift heavy and have also endured injuries because of so. There’s heavy vs. hard. Your body is your best gauge of what you can/should do.

There are many squats one can do with achy knees: box squats, Anderson squats (pin set at height where there’s no pain) zercher squats (using more of a hinge than a knee break). I think of Bruce Randall, as mentioned by Pavel in Beyond Bodybuilding, a US Marine who suffered a major (read bone shattering) injury to both knees and rehabbed himself using heavy good mornings until he could squat over 600 lbs. without ever performing it! Also, if working up to a 1rm every week has caused such issues best to use another method.

Maxing often, as in the Bulgarian method, may work if your joints are steel and you’re a born and bred lifter with lifting as your main priority/occupation/life. Even the percentage of actual 1rm the Bulgarians did is lower than previously believed as an article (I forget which but it’s here somewhere) has shown that these maxes were based off a training max (90 % of True max).

Developing the movement pattern of the squat takes frequency as well, speaking of Olympic lifters who squat daily and do quite well. The movement takes priority over the load. Watch top Olympic lifters squat, the squats always look fast and performed with a skillfully orchestrated ensemble of joints/muscles moving in synchronicity to complete the task. The skill of strength.

As far as goals go, if you wish to excel in the BP, DL and P.U., then the majority of your strength practice would probably go towards developing these lifts. There are many, many possibilities for programming here: PTTP, Mind Over Muscle, 3 x 5 from Pavel to name a few. These types of programs make strength training a practice. GTG could’ve applied to any of these lifts I believe. Judd Biosatto successfully used GTG to nearly double his BP strength (of course you’d need a home bench in order to really GTG on this).

One good thing about practicing the lifts as a skill, is that your training doesn’t beat you. Adding mobility, stretches and general health movements w/ kettlebell: Halos, Goblets, windmills, BU carries, whatever you personally need. Pick one or two and throw them in as warmups, cooldowns, activation drills or tonic workouts.

Strength practice is about getting as much quality work in while staying fresh.

To be honest my training went south when I started reading and learning about training if that makes sense.I have small room and cement weights and pull up bar.Rack and bench I welded myself.I have that need to lift heavy and I could never force myself to do high rep sets.So I only did exercises where I can safely move heavy weight.Then I started reading and adding exercises that I don't like and after some time I quit lifting.Now I am trying to go back but with family and job that I hate and body that changed so much in 5 years it's hard.Plus now I can't go as heavy as I would like because I have family and must not let an injury put me away of my job. My shoulder and knee problems come from my job and not lifting and as long as I do it I will have it.Thing is I just want to lift but I think that parallasis by analasys hit me hard.I made more progress before I knew anything about training then I can make now.Everything that you suggest some other guy will say it doesn't work.It's annoying .Now I feel like you should charge me for therapy lol.I will probably go with Hepburn method for all three lifts and some unilateral work.English is not my first language so I apolagyse if I seem rude or crazy.Thank you both for your time it means a lot to have someone to talk about this things.

To be honest my training went south when I started reading and learning about training if that makes sense.I have small room and cement weights and pull up bar.Rack and bench I welded myself.I have that need to lift heavy and I could never force myself to do high rep sets.So I only did exercises where I can safely move heavy weight.Then I started reading and adding exercises that I don't like and after some time I quit lifting.Now I am trying to go back but with family and job that I hate and body that changed so much in 5 years it's hard.Plus now I can't go as heavy as I would like because I have family and must not let an injury put me away of my job. My shoulder and knee problems come from my job and not lifting and as long as I do it I will have it.Thing is I just want to lift but I think that parallasis by analasys hit me hard.I made more progress before I knew anything about training then I can make now.Everything that you suggest some other guy will say it doesn't work.It's annoying .Now I feel like you should charge me for therapy lol.I will probably go with Hepburn method for all three lifts and some unilateral work.English is not my first language so I apolagyse if I seem rude or crazy.Thank you both for your time it means a lot to have someone to talk about this things.

How about for now just practice the lifts you want to excel at with manageable weights, drilling the technique in and doing so pain free? Hepburn Method is good, as if I recall, it’s a low rep, but manageable weight and long term progression model. The important thing is you remain healthy, and lifting invigorates your life, not detracts from it so that at the end of every training session you feel one step closer to your goal. Light weights can feel heavy if you practice them like heavy weights.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom