all posts post new thread

StrongFirst app

tigheguy

Level 5 Valued Member
Who uses the programs on the app? I had a subscription but it wasn’t really updated a lot and I got rid of it. I am debating resubscribing but I’m wondering if anything has been added ?

There is a pinned thread where they announce new features probably once every quarter or so.

But also I didn't really understand the value of the app so haven't been watching it really. So maybe that thread hasn't been updated.

Last edited:
We are working steadily (but at the pace of certain app stores...) to update the StrongFirst Training App with new features, practices and programs.

While we have not added any practices and programs recently due to being focused on the work for the upcoming update to the app.

It will be worth the wait....

For me $10 per month is a more acceptable price point. At $10 I would be more likely to sign up and leave the subscription running even if I was running a program not on the app. At $20 a month I would use it for a specific program, complete it then cancel the subscription.

For me $10 per month is a more acceptable price point. At $10 I would be more likely to sign up and leave the subscription running even if I was running a program not on the app. At $20 a month I would use it for a specific program, complete it then cancel the subscription.
Thank you for your perspective Lotto

I had the app for awhile, I mainly used it for the military press Fabio program...

I own most of the SF materials (Iron Cardio, BuiltStrong minimalist, KBSF, Q&D etc) .... My one thing I would change/add is put programs ppl don't have access to

So maybe an actual PlanStrong plan or a Strong Endurance protocol etc... Maybe put 1 or 2 on there and rotate them every few months!! All the programs on the app I have in book form, thus, no justification in continuing the app

The PowerTrain is a great example of a program that is on there ppl don't have access too

I’ve used fitness apps in the past, more so for tracking steps, swims etc. I haven’t used the SF app but I have used the 98 training app. It’s the best app I’ve ever used for strength training as it can be tailored to the equipment that you have with a heavy emphasis on kettebells. Interestingly its styling is very much in the black and white schema.
It has a clever leaderboard system and a real time chat facility that encourages user interaction action. Added to that it has articles on nutrition, mindset etc, video gallery etc. Price wise it’s very competitive with I think one month free.
I’m not sure how some of that would work as within the SF universe as they are more metcon is and their training plans upload each week but I think it could be done. Part of the appeal is the weekly email to see what’s coming next.
Apart from the established programs that SF offer I think there’s space for developing a platform that encourages users to treat their workout as a practice.
Have Pavel or BJ narrate key cues, perform the exercise say swings… and slot in appropriate breathing cues from second wind etc.
Rinse and repeat for all key lifts.
Users could then swap out to established programs and log their progress.
Use notifications for GTG practice?
Offer online discussion from SF leads similar to Planning demystified for users??
Just brainstorming but def a market for it..

I’ve used fitness apps in the past, more so for tracking steps, swims etc. I haven’t used the SF app but I have used the 98 training app. It’s the best app I’ve ever used for strength training as it can be tailored to the equipment that you have with a heavy emphasis on kettebells. Interestingly its styling is very much in the black and white schema.
It has a clever leaderboard system and a real time chat facility that encourages user interaction action. Added to that it has articles on nutrition, mindset etc, video gallery etc. Price wise it’s very competitive with I think one month free.
I’m not sure how some of that would work as within the SF universe as they are more metcon is and their training plans upload each week but I think it could be done. Part of the appeal is the weekly email to see what’s coming next.
Apart from the established programs that SF offer I think there’s space for developing a platform that encourages users to treat their workout as a practice.
Have Pavel or BJ narrate key cues, perform the exercise say swings… and slot in appropriate breathing cues from second wind etc.
Rinse and repeat for all key lifts.
Users could then swap out to established programs and log their progress.
Use notifications for GTG practice?
Offer online discussion from SF leads similar to Planning demystified for users??
Just brainstorming but def a market for it..
If we are giving feedback...
The app seemed to be a bit rushed and they took a personal trainer white-label app and slapped a bunch of programs into it with no clear idea of what the app's purpose was beyond "we need an app".

IMO if it asked someone's goals and tailored training to achieve those goals longer term instead of just "pick a program any program" it would add a lot of value. The difficult problem to solve with self coaching isn't downloading a program spreadsheet. It is building on what you have done in the past and working consistently towards your goal. Hit up any "what program should I do next" thread and there are a ton of suggestions for programs to do next. Rarely do you get people asking (and even less people answering) questions like "What are your goals and what did you do to get here?". Instead you get the same 4 or 5 programs recommended with no context to the previous training.

But then again what do I know? Boostcamp is exactly the type of app I'm criticizing and is blowing up on the app store while long term training apps like Strongur, Sheiko AI, and Juggernaut AI, and DJU are fading into the background. (at least not getting as much attention, maybe everyone that likes em is just quietly in the background getting jacked.)

But still a guy can dream about an app where you punch in what your goals are, how much time you have to train, how often, and what equipment you have access to. Then getting an app that works you in that direction for the next however many years. Think Dan John University but with SF principles and Strong Endurance.

Thank you all for the great feedback and perspectives.

I look forward to your thoughts after we are able to update the app fully.

@silveraw
The programs on the app do have goals in the program/practice descriptions so you can pick a program for your deadlift or military press etc.

Individualizing is always best done with an Instructor IMO—so a consultation with an instructor to assist you in picking a program and then run it etc.

The programs on the app do have goals in the program/practice descriptions so you can pick a program for your deadlift or military press etc.
I was referring to more long term goals and helping do contexual programming.

Eg a great deadlift program for someone just starting is going to look a lot different than a great deadlift program for someone who has been consistently pulling for a decade.

Or someone who has a goal that involves multiple physical attributes. Eg powerlifting and long distance hiking.

I was referring to more long term goals and helping do contexual programming.

Eg a great deadlift program for someone just starting is going to look a lot different than a great deadlift program for someone who has been consistently pulling for a decade.

Or someone who has a goal that involves multiple physical attributes. Eg powerlifting and long distance hiking.
That involves a coach/instructor IMO.

But something we can look at behind the scenes to see what we can do.

If we are giving feedback...
The app seemed to be a bit rushed and they took a personal trainer white-label app and slapped a bunch of programs into it with no clear idea of what the app's purpose was beyond "we need an app".

IMO if it asked someone's goals and tailored training to achieve those goals longer term instead of just "pick a program any program" it would add a lot of value. The difficult problem to solve with self coaching isn't downloading a program spreadsheet. It is building on what you have done in the past and working consistently towards your goal. Hit up any "what program should I do next" thread and there are a ton of suggestions for programs to do next. Rarely do you get people asking (and even less people answering) questions like "What are your goals and what did you do to get here?". Instead you get the same 4 or 5 programs recommended with no context to the previous training.

But then again what do I know? Boostcamp is exactly the type of app I'm criticizing and is blowing up on the app store while long term training apps like Strongur, Sheiko AI, and Juggernaut AI, and DJU are fading into the background. (at least not getting as much attention, maybe everyone that likes em is just quietly in the background getting jacked.)

But still a guy can dream about an app where you punch in what your goals are, how much time you have to train, how often, and what equipment you have access to. Then getting an app that works you in that direction for the next however many years. Think Dan John University but with SF principles and Strong Endurance.
You can do this very easily with chat GPT. Took me 5 minutes to build a 6mo long workout plan with my equipment, my days to train, APRE and Mike Metzger style fatigue management, and progression. Just doesn't have anyone following it with you

You can do this very easily with chat GPT. Took me 5 minutes to build a 6mo long workout plan with my equipment, my days to train, APRE and Mike Metzger style fatigue management, and progression. Just doesn't have anyone following it with you
Yeah, there are a few great apps that specialize in it that work great. Dan John has one that works fantastically.

I have the app and it's okay but I will say that the culture at StrongFirst doesn't seem to really lend itself to apps and push bands etc. I feel the group here is more of a read a book/article, talk about it and share discoveries along the way.

It's that 'low tech/high concept' philosophy that makes me love this forum/programs so much.

Back
Top Bottom