all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Strongfirst Road-work versus only aerob training

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I was planning on doing 2-3 times a week of LISS training. I was wondering if people have any experience with combining LISS training with some short bursts of strength training like a couple of pistols, one arm push-ups, pull-ups or similar exercises.

Are there any research on the differences with Slow Steady cardio versus Road-work ?

Here is the article Pavel wrote about this:

Anders

In the past, when I was more into obstacle course racing, I would do something like this once or twice a week during specific race prep phases. Typically it would be some sort of body weight strength movement every 5 minutes or half mile. The idea was to simulate the demands of the actual race. I got the idea from Hobie Call, who was an extremely dominant OCR racer at the time. I enjoyed it and the challenge it presented. It definitely seemed to help my preparation. But I have idea about specific research.

In the past, when I was more into obstacle course racing, I would do something like this once or twice a week during specific race prep phases. Typically it would be some sort of body weight strength movement every 5 minutes or half mile. The idea was to simulate the demands of the actual race. I got the idea from Hobie Call, who was an extremely dominant OCR racer at the time. I enjoyed it and the challenge it presented. It definitely seemed to help my preparation. But I have idea about specific research.
I did the same while I deployed in Iraq. I would do a 40-60-minute run and every 5-10-minutes I would do 25 squats and 15 push-ups. Worked well when I ran a Spartan race when I returned from deployment.

Hi,

I was planning on doing 2-3 times a week of LISS training. I was wondering if people have any experience with combining LISS training with some short bursts of strength training like a couple of pistols, one arm push-ups, pull-ups or similar exercises.

Are there any research on the differences with Slow Steady cardio versus Road-work ?

Anders
In Tactical Barbell II there is a session known as a Fobbit. If you look online it grew into a way to combine LSS and Max Strength work. When I was doing TBII one of my favorites was 3-5 minutes LSS (Airbike for me) then perform 2-3 Reps in the barbell OHP reasonably heavy. Repeat for 40- 60m. It's a great way to get Z2(ish) work in and not get bored while adding strength. The possibilites are endless. I could see running and stopping to person bodyweight exercises as a viable option.

It's a great E Book if you ever want a vault of training ideas.

In Tactical Barbell II there is a session known as a Fobbit. If you look online it grew into a way to combine LSS and Max Strength work. When I was doing TBII one of my favorites was 3-5 minutes LSS (Airbike for me) then perform 2-3 Reps in the barbell OHP reasonably heavy. Repeat for 40- 60m. It's a great way to get Z2(ish) work in and not get bored while adding strength. The possibilites are endless. I could see running and stopping to person bodyweight exercises as a viable option.

It's a great E Book if you ever want a vault of training ideas.
I also used the fobbit sessions from TBII to great success. I liked doing mine with the rowing machine and then getting up and doing a set of snatches then back to the rower and then the set of snatches and so on.

So my main goal is health and strength. My main sport is simply hiking in mountains. This latter hobby is not something I do that often during winter, and Im not doing any extreme stuff so extreme levels of endurance is not needed.

When the sun is shining and/or it is warmer in the weather Im running/walking in stairs outside.

I am currently mainly using a stationary bike. I find this thing to be very friendly to my knees, my shins, my ankles, just everything.

Hello,

For a while, I only SF roadwork day in day out for 20-30 minutes, 7 days a week. Depending on how I felt, I varied the amount of strength work. It was very 'auto-regulated'. Therefore, some days were more cardio oriented, some others were more strength oriented.

Results wise, it maintained a relatively low RHR (48-50), while maintaining strength let say above average. For example, pairing OAP and HSPU and using pistols / broad jumps / jumping lunges maintained 1/2 bdw TGU (back then I weighed about 63 kg). It also maintained 28kg OVH Press. I also added pull ups to the mix

Preparation event wise, I used this as a prep for hiking in the mountains (8h walk a day), and it went just fine. It also paired very well with my main sport (boxing).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi,

Anders
Something I often do is to walk on the treadmill with max incline and at 4 km/h (2.5 miles/h) and every 3 or 5 minutes I do a set of ballistics, whatever I want. Lately I have been doing double swings with 24 and 28 kg. I do this as some sort of variety and don't push it too hard in either way: with the cardio nor with the kettlebell.

I find it to be a fun way to do some cardio and to do some complement strength work, but I dont think it is ideal for either.

In Tactical Barbell, they put it as an example of including an exercise that is not included in the main strength program. Lets say you are doing a strength program that includes: Squat, deadlift, bench press and pull ups, your could inlcude submaximal military presses during your cardio as a way to keep the movement. However, I would do it rather light and easy.

Back
Top Bottom