all posts post new thread

Old Forum stuck Bench Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Max

Level 1 Valued Member
Brothers in Iron,

since months I train with a split from Deadlift Dynamite, where I bench and overhead press on mondays, squat and deadlift on wednesdays and row and pull up on thursdays or fridays. It served me well, but now my bench is stuck. The other lifts still improve.

I wonder if I should simply add a few sets of benches after my back training on thursday/friday or would that just screw up a proven plan?

You could bench off a Texas method program. Make Monday volume, so 3*4-6 reps, or ladders. Fri intensity. Work up to  5/3/2 or whatever you want, also could use wave loading for leaders.

Max, up your volume and frequency.  E.g., alternate MP and BP pressing three times a week.

Thank you, Chief.

I also wonder if there is an other method than trial & error for finding out what really works for you. There are successfull athletes who squat OR deadlift once a week and there are successfull athletes who squat 4 to 6 times a week, so how should one know?

Max,

I am not Pavel, but my guess is they try different programs. After completing them take stock of the progress. Even more than that, my guess is most strong and successful individuals go through periods of either.

First that depends on sport, some don't lend themselves to such methods. Of course drugs help both those xtremes when it comes to high level athletics, not always but cannot be ignored. I Lay's wonder how much matters for the gifted and Mike Tyson is a great example. Tree trunk legs and stupid power through hips and back. Yes he squatted but nothing crazy, shot I can do more I think. Hershel Walker only bodyweight ND candy/vegan, a total stud in all regards. Stop asking question when the answers are right in front of you.

Max, but there are very few lifters who press once a week.  They either bench light or do assistance on another day.

In addition, a heavy SQ day is a light DL day and the other way around.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom