all posts post new thread

Old Forum success and advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RussellPeele

Level 3 Valued Member
Note: this will be particularly useful for long torso, short legged lifters like myself. How to tell you are one of these--you have had an easy time with the squat from day one, but deadlift gives you grief.

Over the past year I got back to attacking my goal of a 500lb deadlift. As usual, I got to 450 with little trouble and stalled. My sticking point is on the floor. Not below the knee, but ON the floor. If I get the bar moving, I lock it out. I took the advice of many respected writers and worked on speed pulls and all manner of posterior chain exercises. nothing. zero improvement. Then I remembered something--back when i focused on the olympic lifts, my deadlifts felt easy. I didn't max on them then, but they felt very light. what was i doing at the time that i hadn't been as of late? plenty of ft squats. So i decided on some ft squat specialization because "can't hurt"! Also i was influenced by a Dave Tate article on powerlifting specific hypertrophy, but this post will go on forever if i get into that.

I increased my ft squat sort of max from 265 to 315 (i'd do a set of speed pulls after each ft squat 5x5 session). Yesterday I deadlifted heavy for the first time in a couple months. I stopped at 415x5 (dead starts w grip switch each rep) It was very, very easy. Bar seemed to jump off the floor. Rather than going heavier, I decided i should create a plan rather than just haphazardly seeing what I can do... So advice? Ramp to a heavy 5er, with a 10 lb increase once/week until it gets hard? move to triples at that point? Maintain my squat with one 5x5 session/week?

on a related note: i have a feeling that the incredible intra abdominal pressure from ft squats causes a carryover to many things...

on an unrelated note: i haven't been posting much lately due to a move and the start of school (i teach HS math, so it's been hectic as of late). However, a couple articles are coming along nicely and will be ready soon!

Hi Russell,

I have had the exact same experience as you.  Double kettlebell front squats have helped improve all of my powerlifts, especially the deadlift.  I have been cycling back and forth between a few weeks of double kettlebell work and then powerlifting.  I just keep slowly increasing in both realms (double kbs and the bar).   I think Pavel's Total Tension Kettlebell Complex is marvelous and it dovetails perfectly with 5 x 5 bar work.

If I were you, I would ramp to a heavier 5er and then at some point spend six weeks doing the Total Tension KB Complex see what happens.

Good luck!

Same issue here aswell. I can probably lockout 20-30kg more from the knee, then from the floor. I have noticed this imbalance in the last four weeks or so.

Im just starting the RoP w/32kg now, so admittedly it isnt my focus, but definitely something I would still like to address.

I plan on doing GTG 2x24kg kb fsq's on Tues variety day, with a 5sec pause at the bottom, sets of 5's. Focus on maintaining tension and explosiveness out of the hole.

Thurs variety day - Deficit pulls, 3x5 for weeks 1-8, 3x3 weeks 9-10, 3x2 weeks 11-12. Keeping it on the lighter side. Should co-inside with completing the RoP.

Im glad I have similar thoughts as you Russell, must mean im on the right track!

Sam.

Unless you've stalled on it already, why not just continue with the plan that got you to an easy 415x5? If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Don't look for a quick ramp-up or a cheap thrill. Keep putting in the time on the training program that is currently performing well for you, until you get diminishing returns. Turn "I stopped at 415×5...It was very, very easy" into "I stopped at 465×5...It was very, very easy."

@ Russell - One of the recent StrongFirst videos with Pavel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlGJEI-18k, he mentions Konstantin Konstantinov and how his difficulty is breaking from the floor, too. Said his knee extensors are the weak link for him (as a raw 900lbs + Dl'er), so your focus on quads makes total sense. I'm not sure that you would want to adopt a similar pattern of looking slightly down at the start until you get to mid shin to help activate the quads, but it may be something to try.

Russell, well done! 

I agree with Jeff.  In addition, do not feel the pressure to peak with lower reps.  George Frenn could convert 585x5 to 765x1; it might work for you too.  No time spent peaking means more time spend getting stronger.

i'm reminded of the value of this forum... exactly what I needed to hear! thank you very much to all of you.

"No time spent peaking means more time spent getting stronger." This one's getting filed away.

Russell, one more thing, a cue to get a stronger start.  Visualize pushing your diaphragm through your feet.

Russell, allow me to add my voice to Pavel's on the "no peaking = stronger" point.  I did 4 meets last year, and it really took its toll on my training.

For this year, I've decided to focus on my training first, and I've got a long-term plan: I'll start competing again in Spring of 2015, about 18 months from now, because I'll be in a new age bracket then and there are records to be set - that's my focus and my motivation.  If I do any meets between now and then, it will be on my schedule, the sort of thing where I'll see a cycle coming to a close and decide, a month or two in advance, that a particular meet works for me.  And then I won't go crazy peaking for the meet, either.

And, like you, I'm working hard on my FSQ in the hope of improving my DL.  So far, the results have been very encouraging.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how it's going for you.

-S-

I'm excited to try out that new cue tomorrow (it's been hard to wait even this long).

Steve--makes a lot of sense. I have burned myself out so many times in the past trying to peak my strength, finally realizing that 5s are perfect for me. I'm going to get my 5 rep total to at least 1200 (big 3) before I consider peaking again. I don't need the lure of competition as much as I used to as my new(ish) training partner is a physical freak who pushes me plenty. That being said, the powerlifting meet camaraderie makes for a very cool experience, so I might get the itch sooner than later :)

Russell, I too just spent a cycle really focusing on improving my front squat, and I'm hoping to see if it carries over to the deadlift! I've always been a pretty solid squatter, but struggled moving big deadlifts off the floor (just got a 295lb FSQ, but my DL PR is only 355...), so your success is inspiring optimism. Do you find sumo or conventional works better for you? As always, thanks for your thoughtful and articulate posts.

Russell, I have the exact same goal as you and the exact same issue!  Not only that, after reading this thread I went back and reviewed what I did before setting my last deadlift 1RM, sure enough, lots of front squats.  Planning to work them back in and see how it goes.  I am also going to try snatch grip deadlifts on lighter days to help with the initial pull.

@Andy - sumo or conv? jury's still out. i pull heavier conventional right now, but there was a time when my sumo was stronger (14 years ago). As i'm shoring up a strength deficiency, the pendulum could swing back a bit. For now i'm going to continue a simple linear progression until i start to feel like i'm working too hard.

@Pavel - that cue was helpful. Between that and some extra meat in the right places, my pull feels much more efficient--smoother, more ergonomic groove. 425x5 felt even easier than 415 the previous week. I'll keep adding a little each week till it starts to get ugly and then cycle back down.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom