all posts post new thread

Barbell Sumo dl - form check and exercise recommendation for adductors/hip/groin area

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
Sup mates. I have had sumo dl in my training for a few weeks and I think I had learnt the movement better, especially the slack pull and drive the hips forward parts. Here is my clip, doing sets of 5 at 150, 152.5 and 155 kg (I believe my 1rm is at around 200 kg, so that's about 75-77.5%)

However, at around 3rd/4th rep or when the weight get heavier, I find out my my slack pull and hip drive is not as strong as the previous rep/set. I think it's because my adductors aren't strong enough for in the stretch position so the glutes cannot drive forward as much as I want at the start.

Beside of what I describe above, is there any weakness/technique problem in my lifts?
And beside of more sumo deadlift, which other exercises that I can do to build up my adductors strength? I would love to hear all your recommendations!

PS: Sumo is che...never mind ^^

On most of your reps you have a "two-step" start where after beginning the first inch or two of the pull you almost "pause" and push your hips foward/tuck your hips and then continue to lift—make it a "one-step" and don't have the pause/push forward/tuck of the hips and see how that feels/works.

I have had sumo dl in my training for a few weeks and I think I had learnt the movement better,
Technique

Your Technique look good.

is there any weakness/technique problem in my lifts?

Yes

As Brett notes, after breaking the weight off the floor, "You almost pause".

One of the main issues is that the bar is too far out in front. The weight pulling your forward.

First let's examing the issue with the bar being too far out in front of you/anyone in a Deadlift

Dr Tom McLaughlin (PhD Exercise Biomechanics)

"Keeping the bar close to the body during the lift may be as important as keeping the back straight. Scientific research in this area revealed that many had underestimated the importance of minimizing outward swing. The studies show that for every inch the bar swings out during the lift the effective load is actually increased 25 percent." Source: Nutrition & Health OnLine Magazine
A 155 kg Example of Your Deadlifting Numbers

Your Deadlift a few inches off the floor is where it pauses. It appears to be around an inch away from you.

If so, that would mean in pulling the weight up, the bar weight would be magnified beyond the true bar load.

That would mean from that "Paused Position" the magnified load would be...

155 kg X 1.25 = 193.75 kg (427 lbs)

In other word, in the "Paused Position" (the bar too far out in front of you), you are having to expert more than 193.75 kg/427 lb of Force (Strength) to move the weight up from that position.

The Body's Center of Gravity

One of the keys to pushing or pulling more weight is to maintain the Bar Weight closely to the Body's Center of Gravity.

The farther away the Bar Weight is from your COG, the greater the weight is magnified beyond its true load.

The Solution
1) Pull The Bar Back On Top of You

The bar needs to make contact with the legs (shins and thighs)

2) Soccer Shin Guards

Wearing Shin Guards is one method to save your shins and avoid the pain.

3) Baby Powder

Once above the knees, continue to pull the bar back on top of you; drive your butt toward the bar.

Placing Baby Power on the thighs, allow the bar slide up easier.

Summary

First force on ensuring you techinques involves maintaining the bar as close to your Body's Center of Gravity as possible.

Pull the bar back on top of you!

While you may peform some other exercise for you Deadlift; they are secondary maintaining the bar movement to your COG.

1) Pull The Bar Back On Top of You

The bar needs to make contact with the legs (shins and thighs)

2) Soccer Shin Guards

Wearing Shin Guards is one method to save your shins and avoid the pain.

3) Baby Powder

Once above the knees, continue to pull the bar back on top of you; drive your butt toward the bar.

Placing Baby Power on the thighs, allow the bar slide up easier.
Duct tape or deadlift socks (basically socks up to your knees) are a couple options that are easily available too.

Great job!

I didn't notice at first that this was originally an older thread, and had an idea or two based on your original post. But you had corrected the form for your recent singles.

What did you find as your weakness and what did you do to fix it?

What did you find as your weakness and what did you do to fix it?
it's form problem mostly:
- At the older post the way I lift was: - Pull slack -> push the hips forward -> leg press. I was focusing on getting maximal pull then maximum push of the hips, which made the lifts become 3 parts. Now after pulling slack, I push my hips forward and leg press nearly together.
- I learn from a great sumo deadlifter in the gym. Nothing beat seeing it in real life. He pulls like 330 kg at 90 kg and 220 kg for 20 reps. I saw he teaching sumo for one of my friend. We have similar technique so looking at my friend getting fixed is eye-opening for me. A big cue is do not let the bar cutting my shins all the time. If I need the sock to prevent me from getting scratch then my positioning is f@#$ed up.

The sumo deadlift takes care of the adductors alone, I don't really need any specific exercises beside a few leg swing as a warm-up.
I also pull deficit most of the time last 2 months. The plates at my current gyms are a bit shorter than normal plates. When I test my 1 RM using normal plates size it feel much better.

A big cue is do not let the bar cutting my shins all the time. If I need the sock to prevent me from getting scratch then my positioning is f@#$ed up.
Interesting. Are you saying you make sure the bar does not touch your shin on its way up? If so, what is the reason for this? Reason I ask is, I thought as Kenny mentioned in a post above, keeping the bar touch your shin, makes it close to your COG as possible, and if I remember correctly (from Mark Rippetoe) this reduces the moment arm between the bar and the hips.

Interesting. Are you saying you make sure the bar does not touch your shin on its way up? If so, what is the reason for this? Reason I ask is, I thought as Kenny mentioned in a post above, keeping the bar touch your shin, makes it close to your COG as possible, and if I remember correctly (from Mark Rippetoe) this reduces the moment arm between the bar and the hips.
I had a bad habit pulling the bar against my shins which creates fracture against the weight. We need the bar closer to the cog but we don't need the bar constantly hitting against the shins all the way

Back
Top Bottom