all posts post new thread

Old Forum Sunday August 17 SF Kettlebell course in Danville, CA

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike E

Level 5 Valued Member
Sunday August 17 SF Kettlebell course in Danville, CA.
Master SFG instructor Mark Reifkind lead the class assisted by Tracy Reifkind.
The course began with an introduction to kettlebells and the advantage of the kettlebell for generating power and conditioning with something you can take anywhere.  Laboratory testing that has been done with force plates reveals the forces on the body with the kettlebell can far exceed the weight of the bell, as much as ten times.  There was a section on safety, the kettlebell used wrongly has a serious potential to harm and no movements even with a light bell should be done in an unserious unfocused manner.  We then did some mobility movements to warm up, then on to the kettlebells.
The movements: [Stuff I learned]
1.  Swing
The hip hinge for the swing is different than a squat movement OR a deadlift movement.  Knees must bend but the shins stay vertical and the butt goes back.  I was using a deadlift posture and not sticking my butt out back enough.  Dramatic difference in the power.  I also have the mistaken idea that the impetus for the KB going forward was the hips pushing against the forearms as the hips extended.  The force actually is transferred through the arms to the bell.  I was not packing my shoulders on the swing especially the left shoulder which became painfully obvious when we did the towel drill.  I had no pain swinging the bell with both hands but with the towel my left shoulder immediately hurt.  With the two arm regular swing I'd been favoring my left shoulder and doing most of the work with my right, the left just going along for the ride.  After learning and consciously packing the shoulder the pain went away, even the one arm swing on the left side.
2. TGU:
Rolling the hip makes getting to elbow easier and more fluid.  One the way down hinging the hip while reaching for the ground makes getting down more secure and feel safer.  Reemphasized locking the elbow throughout, which I thought I knew but obviously wasn’t paying enough attention to.
3. Goblet squat.
I was going way too deep with my elbows, and leaning over too much, back not straight enough.  A couple of the attendees demonstrated a perfect squat, even without the kettlebell.  All I can say is ‘amazing’.  Something to aspire to if I live to be 100.  Really great seeing others of all abilities and how they adapt to the movements and change given the right cues.  A couple of people looked perfect already, to me anyway.  But there was so much material covered there is plenty for everybody.  I’m sure the stuff going completely over my head was on target for some who I think are already professional PT’s or trainers.  The conversations were fascinating to say the least.
4.  One arm press:
The tension technique, squeezing the hand not holding the bell, really works!  I was amazed at how much easier the bell went up.  I’ve read repeatedly about whole body tension in Pavel’s writings but one demonstration is worth 1000 words.  Learning to activate the lats was fun too.  It’s like finding a new body part you didn’t know you had.
5.   One leg deadlift and variations:
I’d never tried this before and had some balance problems but got the feeling for it finally I think.  I really like this movement, it’s challenging, I really feel like I’ve accomplished something after 2-3 reps on each side.  Getting acquainted with the posterior chain…
Conclusion:
I really enjoyed this course.  I was on a high for several days afterwards.  I could take the course again and it would be well worth the money to review and recover the stuff I have no doubt already forgotten.  It was really nice to hang out for a few hours with a really fine group of like minded people and expert instruction.  The course includes a manual which covers everything, except some of the questions were outside of the course material and Mark was happy to give thorough answers.   Mark very much deserves the title “Master” of the kettlebell.  The day went very fast, a great deal of information transferred in too few hours.  I very highly recommended this class to anyone with an interest in kettlebells.

Great review, Mike!  That makes me want to take the course sometime soon.  I've been training with kettlebells for a year and a half, started under Al Ciampa's program (before he moved away :( ) and have made much progress, but I can see there is always so much more to learn.  I like the tips that you brought from the course.  Clearly would be a day well spent.

Anna, thanks!  I really like Al Ciampa's articles here, I like to hike so they're very interesting.  I bet you miss him a lot.  Plenty of room in Texas, lots of Californian's moving there I hear.  Haven't seen much of Al lately but I bet he's really busy with his new job.  I like his youtube channel too.  Cheers and good luck with your training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom