all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing form check plz

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Try hinging later (planking longer) and keeping your arms passive.
Try these towel drills:

Excellent swings!

Your setup and stance is good, hinge is great, your swings are explosive, you're projecting power forward (arms as ropes), grip is good, breathing is correct, height of the swing is great.

The main thing you're missing is shoulder packing at the top of the swing. Practice with no bell, put your arms out in front of you as if you're holding the bell at the top of the swing.... draw your shoulders down in an "anti-shrug" hard, tight lats, tight armpits, and chest up. Now try bringing that to your swing. It's quite a big change when you get it, but once you do, it will become habit.

I agree the timing is just a little off -- reps 5 and later are better timing than 2,3,4... but fix the shoulder packing and see how that affects things. You're definitely on the right track.

I agree with @Bauer that your hinge starts too soon. That puts the weight too far forward and the bell winds up too low at the bottom putting a lot of stress on your lower back. Keep you’re hands tight to your crotch and hinge at the last second. That video he posted is excellent. I did the same exact thing as you when I first started 10 years ago and screwed my back up royally.

Notice towards the end of the set your swings got a bit better and you were not using any un necessary energy and effort?

If you can consciously dial in that effort level from the start you'll improve more

Notice towards the end of the set your swings got a bit better and you were not using any un necessary energy and effort?

If you can consciously dial in that effort level from the start you'll improve more
Yea I find a few swings into sets I'm consciously critiquing myself so what you say makes sence.

I find when "persuade" the bell back down between my legs my hinge seems to feel better. I'm thinking this may be helping me break the movement up and providing a better trigger for a late hinge. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Can you try something for us?

Swing the bell a few inches lower (handle should be about nipple level) and swing with less power? Let's see if that cleans up some of your issues.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom