all posts post new thread

Old Forum swing form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dobie

Level 5 Valued Member
It's always been my understanding and practice to bring the bell to around chin-nose level on my swings.  If you look on you tube and other sites many times you see people doing swings far lower then this, for example, bud jeffries-an incredibly strong man I noticed the bell going up to about mid-stomach when his hand release occurs going from h-h.  Any ideas for the reason behind this?

Could be personal preference as everyone swings just a little different because of body type or ability.

I've always tried to swing the bell(s) up to chest level but if I'm going heavier than normal I try to get it between belly and chest.

Just my $.02

The worst thing I can say about the swing is that it's hard to judge from the outside.  You just have to be honest with yourself, and you get what you give.  What I see in videos is people shortchanging themselves on the back portion.  Sometimes my "float" is below horizontal.  That's not cheating, because it just means the next rep is happening that much sooner.

If "kettlebells from the center" I came away with gluing the upper arm to the rib cage, like you do in a clean or uppercut, during the swing. If feels great, totally changed my view on swings, that's exactly how my arm feels during the lower half of a one arm pull up.

In "kettlebells from the center" I came away with gluing the upper arm to the rib cage, like you do in a clean or uppercut, during the swing. If feels great, totally changed my view on swings, that's exactly how my arm feels during the lower half of a one arm pull up.

Anyways, when you do that, the bell only goes up to about the mid stomach to the beginning of the sternum.

S & S specifies that, if done properly, the bell will naturally top-out somewhere between your stomach and chest.

Just a guess, but if done to nose / chin, either your arms are lifting or the weight is too light and you need to move up to the next bell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom