all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing Question: Why don't we exhale through nose?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JR47

Level 5 Valued Member
Reading 'The Oxygen Advantage' and, from what I can gather from 'Second Wind', nasal breathing is The Thing.

So, why does Strongfirst teach the 'Tsaaa!' exhale through the mouth for power breathing during swings? Wouldn't it be better to exhale through nose as well as inhale?

Any insights/opinions welcome and appreciated.

Because it's pretty much impossible to power breathe through the nose. Power breathing is not just a forceful exhale. It's an exhale against resistance.

That, plus the risk of flying snot ;-).
Duly noted. Seems to work for me. Maybe I am not pushing hard enough?

Your confusing how we should breathe 24/7 in everyday life and during aerobic activity, with how we should breathe for a split second during an expression of power. Totally different things.

Your confusing how we should breathe 24/7 in everyday life and during aerobic activity, with how we should breathe for a split second during an expression of power. Totally different things.
Sure. But through the nose tho? Is possible?

Sure. But through the nose tho? Is possible?
Not with any meaningful load for anything more than a swing or maybe two. Throughout the day, I wander down to our Squadron Gym, where my 48kg waits patiently for me. During the course of the day I will get ~10 sets of 10 swings. My previous trip I exhaled through my nose on the last swing. It was awful. Simply could not generate as good a hipsnap and am still feeling discomfort in my throat and nasal passage. Just doesn't make any sense to "fix" something that's already as good as it can get.

Not with any meaningful load for anything more than a swing or maybe two. Throughout the day, I wander down to our Squadron Gym, where my 48kg waits patiently for me. During the course of the day I will get ~10 sets of 10 swings. My previous trip I exhaled through my nose on the last swing. It was awful. Simply could not generate as good a hipsnap and am still feeling discomfort in my throat and nasal passage. Just doesn't make any sense to "fix" something that's already as good as it can get.
Yeah, save the mouth tape for sleeping and MAF stuff.

How are you able to create resistance when exhaling through the nose?

I can't do it, and I'm not sure it's physically possible.

FWIW, I feel like I can get a pretty forceful contraction with my mouth closed. It makes a hissing sound. It feels extremely similar to breathing out my mouth, but it is closed, and I can guarantee you the air comes out my nose. So does snot, occasionally. I did this for a while before I figured out I could push (a meaningful amount of) air through gritted teeth. I still manage to feel "wrapped up in my core" so to speak from this.

All that said, it is way way way easier to get a harder contraction if I open my lips and let a tsa out through gritted teeth.

So, it's not impossible, but as far as I understand there is literally no value in making it harder and might be holding one back from swinging "meaningful weight" as @WxHerk points out.

Last edited:

In Yoga there is this method of breathing where you create a slight tension in your throat. It elongates the breath through a constriction and is kind of calming. I guess a method with closed mouth would somewhat have to use this mechanism… I sometimes do it intuitively…

In Yoga there is this method of breathing where you create a slight tension in your throat. It elongates the breath through a constriction and is kind of calming. I guess a method with closed mouth would somewhat have to use this mechanism… I sometimes do it intuitively…
I’ve heard both my Qi Gong teacher and Steve Maxwell state that one should not create tension to the neck or throat when breathing. This statement is most likely not what regular Ujjayi is about, but I wouldn’t attempt to create a ”power breathing” version of it.

Funny how many people here have openly mentioned the risk of flying snot, yet in martial arts circles it is the thing that is rarely spoken about (despite the fact that it happens). (y)

Also, back on topic, my understanding is that the desired amount of tension in the posterior chain and core (for desired expression of power) just cannot be generated as efficiently by breathing out through the nose vs. the mouth in the time allotted to discharge air on the exhale. From my own observation there is more tension generated as I breathe out through the mouth vs. the nose, and IMO it is because of how fast the air is discharged from the lungs (greater volume discharged through mouth vs. nose in the same amount of time) -or- stated differently, same volume discharged at a faster rate through the mouth.

Remember that power is a metric that measures a rate of force expression, which in simple terms means a force expressed (or more appropriately, work done) over time. Even if maximal force is expressed, you are not maximizing power unless you minimize the time over which that work is done, hence wanting to generate that appropriate tension in the shortest possible amount of time.

Just my $0.02, YMMV

Edited to add: @WxHerk that largemouth in your avatar is awesome!

Funny how many people here have openly mentioned the risk of flying snot, yet in martial arts circles it is the thing that is rarely spoken about (despite the fact that it happens). (y)

Also, back on topic, my understanding is that the desired amount of tension in the posterior chain and core (for desired expression of power) just cannot be generated as efficiently by breathing out through the nose vs. the mouth in the time allotted to discharge air on the exhale. From my own observation there is more tension generated as I breathe out through the mouth vs. the nose, and IMO it is because of how fast the air is discharged from the lungs (greater volume discharged through mouth vs. nose in the same amount of time) -or- stated differently, same volume discharged at a faster rate through the mouth.

Remember that power is a metric that measures a rate of force expression, which in simple terms means a force expressed (or more appropriately, work done) over time. Even if maximal force is expressed, you are not maximizing power unless you minimize the time over which that work is done, hence wanting to generate that appropriate tension in the shortest possible amount of time.

Just my $0.02, YMMV

Edited to add: @WxHerk that largemouth in your avatar is awesome!
Absolutely terrific post!! Wyanokie, you did a superb job of explaining.

Yes, she was right at 8 lbs. and was my only bite that day! A nice, post spawn Mississippi Largemouth!

I would also add that you have more physiological mechanisms to control the flow of air out of the mouth to regulate the pressure generated.

Plus you can make some really cool sounds. Probably most important.

I would also add that you have more physiological mechanisms to control the flow of air out of the mouth to regulate the pressure generated.

Plus you can make some really cool sounds. Probably most important.
This one wins.

I actually inhale and exhale with my nose during All exercises, including sparring.
Started doing that after taking buteyko breathing classes. Once my diaphragm became strong enough, I was able to achieve inner abdominal pressure for power swings / punches/sprints/plyos using nasal breathing

I actually inhale and exhale with my nose during All exercises, including sparring.
Started doing that after taking buteyko breathing classes. Once my diaphragm became strong enough, I was able to achieve inner abdominal pressure for power swings / punches/sprints/plyos using nasal breathing
This. This is why I was asking. Thankyou

If I may add to this fruitful discussion:

The audible sound taught is to ensure the biomechanical breath is being implemented. As mentioned by @Artallmighty it can be done with nasal breath but it isn't as easy to spot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom