all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing & TGU Form Check - First Post

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nathan Burns

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello All,

My name is Nathan Burns. I have been following this forum for a little over a year now, but this is my first post. Having adopted the "student of strength" mentality, I'd like to submit a form check on my swing and TGU. I welcome any and all critique and/or advice.

Swing & TGU - Google Drive

Background: 28 years old, 6' 4" 195lbs. Former collegiate athlete (baseball).

My training has always been heavily sport-specific (baseball & football). After graduating, getting married to my amazing wife and not pursuing a professional career, the itch to train and my competitiveness was still there with no outlet. But, all I knew how to do was to train sport-specific.

About four years went by of trying different plans/programs, all of which never really proved any relevance or practicality. Even during that four year period of trying to find my "new" training style, I realized the importance of functional training. I had no desire to "look like Tarzan and play like Jane" so to speak. I wanted something real and authentic to the core, true strength. Our son was born April 2016. With this new addition, training time was really at a premium and I felt even more pressure to get the most out of my training by doing to most efficient exercises possible in the least amount of time since family time was and still is very important.

After the birth of our son, I waffled about in my "training" for another year and a half before I stumbled across Pavel's Simple & Sinister book. I read the book on September 25, 2017. It was a lightbulb moment. This is exactly what I had been looking for. The simplicity, efficiency, and real-world carryover is undeniable. A no-frills approach to legitimate strength. I began my path to Simple the next day with a 20kg bell I had lying around, never having learned how to use it. For a year and a half, I have diligently trained, slowly introducing heavier weight, transitioning from two-handed swings to one-handed swings. Same with the TGU, refining my technique. About a month ago, my 24kg bell was feeling like a paperweight while doing my one-handed swings. I tested the next day and passed with no problem, continued training and did it two more times to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I owned it. I've started introducing my 32kg gradually one set at a time on my swings. After about a month, I no longer feel like the 32 is swinging me but I'm swinging the 32, good. I find it strange, however, I have been able to meet the Simple standard for the TGU, 32kg 10x1 in 10:00min for about 6 months now without any extra "push". It feels very natural and unforced. Maybe it's time to get a 40? I'm in no hurry, so I want to make sure I own every piece of the get-up.

I know if I absolutely had to (life or death situation) I could meet the Simple standard today. But the effort output required to do that wouldn't be sustainable and I know I wouldn't own it. I have no one to impress, it's not true strength if it's not sustainable and repeatable. So, I will continue to methodically follow the path set forth by Pavel and so many others at StrongFirst. Thank you all for your insight and dedication. Thanks to @Pavel for developing these simply sinister programs, I've only just found the tip of the iceberg. Thanks to @Anna C and @Pavel Macek for the advice put forth in the articles and on the forum. You all have helped me in my progression more than you know. Thank you for showing me the path to Strength.

Strength has a Greater Purpose.
Nathan

Looking good overall
on your Swing - bend you knees more (more like your set up for you hike to begin a set) and hold you lockout with the hips just a bit longer
Get-up looks good - you might be reaching away a bit with the Kettlebell arm during the roll to elbow but you have long arms so I'm not sure if it just appears that way (would need to see from behind to be sure).

Hi Nathan! Great intro and glad you found this -- sounds like it's working really well for you.

Get-up looks great! I'm starting to see a trend with students... the ones that "own" the get-up in my mind are the ones that can easily and gracefully do the low sweep from tall sit to tripod, and the reverse. It takes shoulder stability, core strength, and basically mastery of movement of the entire body. Your movement there is top notch, especially with the 32kg. Nice job.

The swings are good but maybe a few tweaks you could make to improve. You might be able to keep the shoulder packed a tiny bit better, but it's not bad. Also your kettlbell shoulder dips down somewhat in the hinge -- try to keep your shoulders square, just as they would be with a 2H swing. But the bigger item is the hinge, as @Brett Jones suggested -- sit back more. If you watch in slow motion you'll see the knees bend as the bell comes through your legs, then straighten out just a bit as the bell is in the backswing. Try to keep bending, sitting down into the hinge, then come back up. The video below might help show what I mean. Here's me swinging the 32kg after all the A+A swing protocols, this was 3 years ago:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom