all posts post new thread

Old Forum Swings and lower back pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mben10

Level 1 Valued Member
Is it common that even if you swing the KB the right way you may get a tightening and then pain in the lower back. I have been trying for years to swing the bell the right way and I always wind up with a tight and painful lower back. Last night at the gym (http://www.sostrength.com/)  I work out at, I was doing over head KB swings and wasted my lower back. I couldn't do anything else after that. A week back the instructor said I was doing better on my swings and I don't feel I was doing anything different this time. I tried three days in a row to follow the S&S protocol before going to the gym and each time my lower back tightened up with pain following. I could have sworn I did it just like I did it at the gym when I was supposed to be doing it right. It did feel right at the gym. I could feel it in my legs and glutes afterwards.

Is it different than muscle soreness? If you have a good track record with deadlifts or other hinge movements, I would guess it would be unlikely that it is muscle soreness.

Press-ups as described by Dan John have really helped me a lot in the past. Do not bend forward at all at any point of your swing workout, Pavel has talked about that a lot in his books. He also recommends various press up type stretches to extend your spine. Or hanging from a bar may help for some.

Protect your back by bracing your entire waist at the top of the swing, cramp your glutes. Really focus on the plank type tension at the top. And the top is only chest height. Not overhead. On the bottom don't relax completely, keep your chest high.

Hope some of this helps.

Your back should not hurt after swings (or any exercise for that matter).

There are many possible reasons - most of them impossible to know for sure over the internet.

Do the instructors at your gym know that your back is hurting due to the swings etc....?

Posting video of your swing might be helpful but if you have been having lower back pain have you been cleared by a Dr. or clinician?

I have had some back issues in the past too, and what I have found was thinking about trying to get my shoulder blades to touch kept me from bending my back at the bottom of the swing.  At first this was an extension of thinking that was what "packed shoulders" meant, although the "anti-shrug" description seems more accurate.  However, if you try doing a swing while holding your shoulder blades back, I find it nearly impossible to bring the KB above shoulder height at the top, and just as difficult to bend the back at the bottom, which helped solidify my form.

I still had a sore lower back after some workouts, but it is due to muscles getting worked out, not improper alignment or injury.

It is possible you have structural problem but KB swings, like so many other movements can cure you or kill you depending on from used.

In my personal experience of my own body, very minute changes in alignment during the motion can make a stunning difference in positive vs negative outcomes

In my NON professional opinion, swinging overhead could destabilize your stance/balance enough at the top to throw form off at the bottom/catch of the backswing and from there during the “launch”/hip drive where any damage is most likely to be done.

I have no issues w/ GS vs Hardstyle but cross checking form w/ an RKC since you work w/ a WKC might be worthwhile.

Concentrate on pressing your arms into you ribs on the back swing, and then not allowing your arms to contribute any power to the movement on the forward swing.

Ladies and gents, please do not ask and answer questions about pain or medical issues.  See your doc.

Thank you all for your replies. I will just have to keep working at it. I felt very stiff in my lower back this morning and don't know if I will practice today. I will go at it again tomorrow if I can. Oh well, If I don't learn it maybe I can take up yoga.

John,

The KB merely reflects how we can or cannot move.  In this case it sounds like your body is unable to currently move into a hinge without improperly overloading the lower back.  The reason(s) for that can only be assessed in person by a clinician.  Layoff the swings and work with an SFMA practitioner to learn the cause of the pain and how to regain the movement you need to hinge properly.

There's authentic ways of moving strongly.  Unless we practice properly though we are just adding compensations which will at some point cause future injuries.

Thank you all for your replies. I will just have to keep working at it. I felt very stiff in my lower back this morning and don’t know if I will practice today. I will go at it again tomorrow if I can
That is probably the exact opposite of what you should do. Get cleared by a medical professional or at least get your form looked at by a qualified person. Train smart.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom