all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed systema breath training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb02

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey guys while I was researching martial arts ,I came across some systema breath exercises and of course was intrigued. I bought some literature on this ( let every breath...) by Vladimir Vasiliev in case any one interested in this. The contrast of this relaxed training vs full tension strongfirst style is conflicting though. If i remember right there are 4-5 members here that practice systema. What thoughts do you guys have on this. Book says do this in all that you do all day. How does one change to full tension swings etc. and back accordingly?

Its strange that both these methods were used in 70s era soviet military at the same time even though they conflict.

I am not familiar with the book you mention, but several of us here practice breathing techniques which focus on relaxation and we find no conflict with our StrongFirst practice. We use different breathing techniques at different times, and the one I practice and teach is, in my mind, on the opposite side of the continuum of muscle tension from what I do when I lift heavy things.

-S-

Hello,

@kb02
Systema breathing transfers pretty well to daily life. Systema breathing makes us very confident and relaxed at the same time. Basically, it also makes us more aware of the environment. It does not interfere with full tension technique because when I train systema breathing and drills, this is another training / another session.

If I have to lift heavy from the ground, I know I can use full tension technique. Nevertheless, when I have to be relaxed, I use my Systema. Different technique for different use then

Kind regards,

Pet'

There is no conflict between full tension SF practice and the relaxed practice of Systema. In S&S we have breathing through a straw. Pavel wrote “The exercise develops surreal calm. Practice it as often as possible, ten minutes at a shot. Remember its lessons when resting between sets of swings.” Personally I only do it when I go to bed and as long as it takes to be fully relaxed.

There are many YouTube videos on Systema however, they don't describe the details. This link has more information. Systema Vasiliev. Russian Martial Art

There are two books which provide a lot of information about Systema, Let Every Breath and STRIKES: Soul Meets Body. I purchased both as ebooks yesterday and it is very interesting reading. There is a RMA school about an hour from my home. Last Summer they had a four hour workshop for beginners and if there is one this year I will attend.

Hello,

Alongside StrongFirst's principles and Vasiliev's principles, we can consider the "muscle control" topic. Many oldtime strongmen (Maxick, Arco, Matysek, Monte Saldo) used muscle control to build impressive strength and physiques (even if they also claimed using weights as a part of their routine).

They built their practice upon a complete relaxation before tensing either the whole body, or only a few muscles.

This practice is very interesting because it is based on both breathing and body consciousness: things we are supposed to be familiar with in Systema.

Maxalding book is easy to find for free on Internet, so does "Muscle Control" from Maxick

Kind regards,

Pet'

Bought the book Let Every Breath yesterday and currently reading it.
From what I've read so far the emphasis seems to be on dissipating tension. I tried some of the breathing patterns with the push up but found it very unusual. With SF the emphasis on tension is very strong. I worked with SFG s last year and although my movements patterns were good the biggest difference I found was their insistence on tension in the swing, plank, deadbugs etc. It really dialled up the effort and I was tired afterwards. I have to make a conscious effort to maintain it in my own training.
I've read the Patrick Mc Keown O2 adv book and read a few books on Qigong that deal with the breath. I'm interested to see what comes out of the second wind seminars and how it relates to kettlwbell trainkg.
Hopefully some of the material will make its way to a published book soon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom