all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Taking a break from training ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I was curious as to how people think about taking time off from training. How do you schedule this ? Do you go by feel, or do you put it into your plan ?

Have you noticed any differences when you do, compared to when you are not doing it in terms of injuries and how you feel ?

For me training is also something fun, something I look forward to. Going many days without training feels like a loss.

Same here, I let life dictate it, if I have a trip or something, I just try to stay active somehow, but I don't usually worry about training.

When I was focused on barbell strength training I would have a deload week programmed in every 6 weeks or so.

And leading up to a competition (TSC, etc.) or certification weekend, I'll take an easy week with volume and intensity about 50% of usual.

Same here, I let life dictate it, if I have a trip or something, I just try to stay active somehow, but I don't usually worry about training.
+1

My last lay off was due to injury. I did some 'exercise' and some lifting but I definitely took a break from my program and any form of 'reginented training'. I was able to return to training after a few weeks. Any longer and I would have had to start on a modified program so I felt like I was working towards something but, physical healing aside, the break did me some good in giving me some time to reassess my priorities and learn to appreciate and take care of my health more.

Under normal circumstances, missing a training session does bother me; it can feel like a loss. Overall, I've usually benefitted from training less and my current training volume is a carefully-considered compromise between how frequently I am willing to train and how much I am able to (consistently, at least).

At the moment, I'm following a 4 days a week Olympic lifting training program with 6 week cycles, building to a peak of significantly fewer reps at heavier weights. I usually feel fairly rested after the last week of the cycle (due to the lower volume) so I've not felt the need to take a planned break from training in order to recover.

If my training were more intense (5-6 days per week, 12 week cycles with a longer conditioning phase, for example) I'd probably take a week off after week 8 and do either very light exercise or probably just mobility work and walking/light jogging but nothing with weights.

When I was training S&S, I'd take breaks whenever I was out of town and would typically take it easy for the most part or probably do some push-ups, pistol squats etc. as and when I felt like it just so I felt I wasn't 'going soft'. I never noticed any negative impact in my training from time away from the kettlebells and would often feel much better when I got back to them (although I don't think I ever took a break of more than two weeks at the absolute maximum).

Life creates breaks. If a day or 3 then I treat them as rest days but continue with my morning "recharge" which is about postural alignment, range of movement, joint mobility and stability with walking or general activity during the day.

If I'm travelling for longer then I usually have a break for a couple of days (with morning recharge and walking) and then switch to my travelling workout which is bodyweight and some bands - still looking for the perfect implement\tool to include (have tried water filled and sand filled implements of various types).

My restoration\recovery methods continue unchanged: I continue to sleep well, eat nutritious food after midday, get in some outdoor time, meditate (Dr Ainslie Meares' method) twice a day for 10-15 minutes so the mind slows down and becomes still). My goals are health and longevity rather than performance, however, a side effect is that in my 60's I continue to improve in fitness on a background of long standing injuries (ie decades old, unrelated to exercise\training as such).

Hi,

I was curious as to how people think about taking time off from training. How do you schedule this ? Do you go by feel, or do you put it into your plan ?

Have you noticed any differences when you do, compared to when you are not doing it in terms of injuries and how you feel ?

For me training is also something fun, something I look forward to. Going many days without training feels like a loss.
My advice would be to follow programs that have a de-load period built in. That's the sign of a good, repeatable program.

Other than that, follow your instincts and listen to what your body is telling you. The signs are usually subtle early, like a small tweak here or there. Identify what is going on early and take care of it before it blows up your whole training regimen.

Life does get in the way, and it's usually a good time to allow some low volume, low % lifting.
Otherwise, I go by feel. My training is so minimal/MED anyway that it's fairly sustainable

I personally don't like breaking my training schedule (Good Habits).
Yep, life gets in the way enough.
When I'm feeling like I'm getting into a little over training, or a little under the weather,
I drop sets and reps and the size of my kettlebell. I focus on good breathing and Technique.
Usually within a week I'm feeling great, and ready to get after it, again.

Al

I focus on a competition, then take it easy for a while. Pre-competition week and post-competition weeks contain very little lifting. Training when not in competition prep may be light and free-form or I may pursue secondary goals like flexibility, odd lifts, etc.

Having had a competition yesterday, I have no plan for what’s next because I choose to focus on the completion of one goal before embarking on the planning and pursuit of another. Tomorrow, I think I might do some swings, some getups, and take a long walk.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom