all posts post new thread

Texas Method

Have any of you guys tried it?
Yup, and multiple variations/versions of it. I love the general style (intensity day and volume day), but I don't/won't do or recommend the "standard" version.

I really like a 4 day intensity/volume split.

Here's an article for those unfamiliar with The Texas Method, as well as some different variations on it.

12 Ways To Skin The Texas Method | Barbell Medicine

Heavy-Light-Medium is a great framework, which is basically what Texas Method is. Some articles on it:

https://www.andybaker.com/heavy-light-medium-16-faqs/

Have any of you guys tried it?
I ran the barebones Texas Method for about 12 weeks back in 2016 right around my 45th birthday. I do remember after 2 weeks of Monday, Wednesday, Friday training, I moved the start of my training week to Saturday with volume day because it took almost 2 hours to do. Then I’d take Sunday/Monday off. On Sunday I could sleep 10 or 12 hours, take naps during the day, and spend a lot of the day eating. I’d do my light and intensity days on Tuesday/Thursday respectively.

While volume day was brutal, I really enjoyed it.

I ran the barebones Texas Method for about 12 weeks back in 2016 right around my 45th birthday. I do remember after 2 weeks of Monday, Wednesday, Friday training, I moved the start of my training week to Saturday with volume day because it took almost 2 hours to do. Then I’d take Sunday/Monday off. On Sunday I could sleep 10 or 12 hours, take naps during the day, and spend a lot of the day eating. I’d do my light and intensity days on Tuesday/Thursday respectively.

While volume day was brutal, I really enjoyed it.
I'm actually pretty used to spending 1 hr 40 to 2 hrs in the gym. I'm also used to doing nothing but resting on Saturday. Maybe this is the program or me. lol

I'm actually pretty used to spending 1 hr 40 to 2 hrs in the gym. I'm also used to doing nothing but resting on Saturday. Maybe this is the program or me. lol
Go ahead and try it. I find I could last 4-6 weeks on it. Then I either felt too beat down to continue, my lifts stalled, or it became too much of a mental stressor to keep going. (While there's benefit to doing hard things, and training hard is required to progress, there's also unproductive mental dread.) I find other programs lead to more consistent progress, are able to be done longer, and don't inculcate that same dread.

don't inculcate that same dread
I thought it was just me. I ran it in my 20s and that progression was a lot and never let up. Madcow 5x5 was better but still ran out of steam quick.

Personally I'd just skip over HLM programs and just do one of the many cycling/wave (whatever you want to call it) programs out there. 5/3/1, 10/20/life, Gallagher's Purposeful Primitive, RELOAD, Deadlift Dynamite, etc. They are simple, work well, and you spend enough time with it to learn how to improve it for yourself long term. Only thing is to focus on rep maxes vs always going to a 1RM for longevity.

So this is what I got as an example for squat progression. I'm a little bit unsure how to work the percentages tho...

For your starting 5x5 weight on volume day, you can use 90% of your 5RM. If you want to ease into the program, you can just start with the last weight you did a few sets of 5 with (i.e. your last Novice LP weight). The latter will give you more runway.

Your light day is 80% of whatever you did on your volume day.

Your intensity day is all about setting a new 5RM or 3RM or 1RM. I’d stick with 5RM for the first few weeks as it makes the following weeks easier to calculate. But you move to 3RM if you’re recovering well and want a different challenge. You’ll need to use a calculator to go from 3RM to 5RM for follow up calculations. I wouldn’t try to set a new 1RM every week unless you’re doing the Dan John way of “sorta max” and not getting psyched up to hit it.

If you set a new 5RM, use 90% of it for your next volume day. If you don’t set a new 5RM, continue on or maybe reduce the weight if needed.

Yes. Saw good results with it too and found ways to tweak it for a while. I credit TM with bringing me towards my best squat (455 @ 181). It's not easy and there's not a lot of room for much else unless you're young with a lot of free time. Volume Day gets intense - there was a few times I couldn't sleep well the night before because I knew how bad it was going to suck in the morning.

The Texas Method guides by Justin Lascek are required reading in my opinion. I would have gotten so much more out of it if I had known even what half of he discusses.

Back
Top Bottom