all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU and not standing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

In a nut shell my ceiling is too low to stand up. I get to the kneeling position and just do the kneeling hip flexor lunge. Since I can't stand up, I was wondering if I should do a press. Ps I am doing S&S.

I think you could do a get-up to the lunge position, lower the kettlebell to the rack position, stand up, step back to the lunge position, press the kettlebell, then complete the get-up. This might might be even more challenging than a standard get-up.

Last edited:
Pistols might be useful so you get a strong range of motion. Start with 12 kg as a counterweight to learn.

In a nut shell my ceiling is too low to stand up. I get to the kneeling position and just do the kneeling hip flexor lunge. Since I can't stand up, I was wondering if I should do a press. Ps I am doing S&S.

Gray Cook and others are a fan of the tall kneeling position. Google tall kneeling press. Bottoms up tall kneeling press is a great one for stability like the getup.

I think you could do a get-up to the kneeling position, lower the kettlebell to the rack position, stand up, kneel down, press the kettlebell, and then complete the get-up. This might might be even more challenging than a standard get-up.

This sounds like a solid option - sure to be tougher than a standing press.

If the weight permits you could lower to rack as you lunge to standing and re-press as you lower to the knee. Doing it simultaneously could be quite challenging. I'll have to try it myself (y)

Or.. lower the weight just enough to not bang the ceiling and re- press as you retreat

Most of us can do TGU with a weight we can't press, so pressing it from the kneeling position wouldn't be an option.

I would do the get ups to the kneeling position , and then do 2x5 of lunges. The lunges could be overhead elsewhere with higher ceiling, or rack, suitcase, etc. The partial get ups could be done in sets of 2, to keep a long time under tension.

Most of us can do TGU with a weight we can't press, so pressing it from the kneeling position wouldn't be an option.

How about that assisted press where you help it up with the other hand? I couldn't find a video but I'm pretty sure it's in either the original "Russian Kettelbell Challenge" video or maybe "More Russian Kettelbell Challenges".

How about that assisted press where you help it up with the other hand? I couldn't find a video but I'm pretty sure it's in either the original "Russian Kettelbell Challenge" video or maybe "More Russian Kettelbell Challenges".
I thought about that one, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable doing it kneeling. Maybe it's worth a try

Another option is to do Tactical Get-ups. TacGU

I don't like outdoor Get-ups for a couple of reasons:

1) You need to concentrate - I've been wasp bombed while doing a get-up before - not good.

2) I felt it did weird things to me when my eyes tried to focus on the sky.

Outdoor swings are cool though.

I don't like outdoor Get-ups for a couple of reasons:

Plus there's that little voice in the back of my head, saying, "What will people think?"

My kids already think my indoor get-ups are weird.

That said, I have done outdoor get-ups a couple times.

Last edited:
Outdoors for me all the time if possible. Indoors it's hard floor and knee pads, so soft grass and sunshine on my kneecaps is very welcome.
For the lack of height, rack the lunge, lunge up, back to rack lunge to press sounds a good option, worthy as a variation in its own right.

Plus there's that little voice in the back of my head, saying, "What will people think?"

Who cares?!

When the kids are doing week-long Summer camps I always train at the closest park before picking them up. As long as the police don't hassle me I don't care what anyone else thinks.

But...my yard is high clay content - hard and lumpy, and often in the shade the grass is damp. More than once I've had my drive leg begin to slip out on the pull through - even with five finger on. I stopped doing them outside - a groin pull or getting clobbered by the KB is not an option.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom