all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU form question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mark Dickinson

Level 1 Valued Member
I've been reading S&S and have a question about the first stage of the getup, to the elbow.  When pivoting on the elbow, does that mean to keep the shoulder rigid the whole time, as though the humerus is 'stuck' in that one position?  I have done getups quite a bit in the past and usually roll through to the elbow.  When trying to practice keeping my shoulder motionless, it takes a LOT more effort because of making the elbow the fulcrum.  It's hard enough to be difficult with no weight.  Surely I'm reading this wrong.

Mark,

The weak link in a heavy punch & crunch to elbow is most certainly scap control.  Stay with lighter weights long enough to build the strength to be able to keep the shoulder packed while you roll to elbow.

Play with the off-arm positioning also - a lot of people are too high.

And don't forget to push with the opposite heel as you roll to elbow - it is a concerted effort between hip extension and shoulder hyperextension/horizontal abduction ... in other words, punch & crunch to elbow :)

Thanks, Al.  I don't think I was focusing enough on keeping the shoulder packed on the 'off' side.  I was thinking too much about the shoulder supporting the weight when I need to remember to pack both sides all the time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom