all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU vs Press Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

yadmit

Level 5 Valued Member
I have a gal in one of my classes who raised an interesting question with me.  She is wondering why she has no trouble pressing an 8kg bell, but struggles with the Turkish Get Up with the same weight.

We chatted about it and I suggested perhaps it's the time under tension with the TGU from start to finish compared with the length it takes to do one rep of a press.

She is curious if perhaps different muscles are used in the TGU compared to the press.  I think there may be due to the fact you move the bell with the Press but not so much with the TGU once the shoulder is packed.

Does anyone have any insight further into this?

Thanks in advance!

t

You're on the right track (in my utterly amateur opinion) with the time under tension theory.  You could test this by timing her Turkish Get Up then having her hold the same size bell at lockout for the same amount of time and see if she begins to lose it.  If not, maybe the additional challenge lies in the various angles the shoulder is being worked from and the fact that for most people some of them are quite out of the ordinary.  Another possibility is all the other systems that are working, burning energy, eating mental RAM, and generally causing fatigue in the TGU whereas a lockout or press is pretty straightforward (until it gets heavy).

Fun stuff to think on.

1. skill difference. If she's more used to pressing...

1a. efficiency (coming from skill in a movement). Most can getup more than they can press, with enough practice.

2. bent-arm vs. straight-arm strength (to use a gymnastics definition). If you aren't used to supporting as much as or more than you can press on a straight arm (i.e. doing getups) you can probably press more than you can getup with.

2a. as you said, time under tension. In this case, supporting a weight in the straight arm position.

Hey Tim, interesting question. I'm actually 'stronger' (can deal with heavier) in the TGU than I can press. I was at a workshop with SFG trainers little while ago and same thing was mentioned there, i.e. we should be doing TGUs with a heavier bell than the press.

Ive heard accounts of guys who could press a 701bs kettlebell with ease yet struggled to do Getups with the same bell. This tells a story.

The Getup trains more body muscles and really is a test of core. Its an exercises that puts the links together and highlights weak points. Its more of a full body exercise. An awesome drill may I say and if you invest time the benefits will be apparent.

The Getup will aid the press, I dont believe the press aids the getup the same. I pressed a 701bs bell purely from doing Getups with that bell.

The Getup is a press a press with many many benefits!

P.S Core strength the Getups affect on the core is key. Which as been proven by studies as the getup engages the core muscles  like no other exercise.

You may have guessed I think highly of this exercise. Ill be even bold enough say I think people should do Getups as their special press of choice. I would encourage this lady of your to continue doing Getups with this bell.

Interesting stuff.  My experience is like Faisal's.  I can, and really always have been, able to TGU a lot more than I can press.  For a brief period of time I could do TGUs with my 70 before I could even press the 53.

For me,  I believe the TGU is 'easier' than the press because of what is working.  You are actively working the stronger muscles in your body: legs, hips, butt, midsection.  Your shoulder and arm are fixed.  Yes, the shoulder does go through a large range of motion, but it is largely locked back in its socket.  I think time under tension is an interesting thing to compare from move to move, but the moving tension of the press is very different for me than static tension of the TGU.  Like Aris said, some might find one easier than the other.  I'm inclined to think static tension is easier.  But like most things in life, we are inclined to think what we know or can do naturally is the more likely answer.  And until this thread I would have said most people can TGU more than they can press.  So thanks for opening up my view on that point.

Just to add to my massive rant before. When I first started training with Kbs I was like the gal the OP speaks of. I could press 16kg with relative ease, yet couldnt do a Getup with this weight. As a unit I obviously had massive weak links or was lacking in core strength.

Obviously things differ with different indivuals. Pressing is a more used convential movement than the Getup. The Getup really is a unique movement. Theres tends to be some transfer with presses, but the Getup, not many exercises are the same or similiar.

Thanks for sharing that, Aaron.  I actually forgot about my very first experience with the TGU.  Like you I started with the 16kg and I could also press it with relative ease.  Not huge numbers, but it wasn't a struggle.

When I first learned about the TGU, I could only do 2 reps on each side with the 16kg and it would wreck me.  So I just started doing them every other day.  It is such a complex movement with a big learning curve, but I think putting that kind of time in helped me tremendously.  Within a few weeks I was able to get up for 10 minutes with ease.

You are right it is a very unique movement, and I think the only way to truly get good at it, is to do it.

Thanks all very much for the responses.  My understanding from her is the overall Get Up isn't the issue, it's a shoulder problem.  I'm going to get more clarification from her in regards to any weakness she feels with it.  I also believe she does have some issues with the shoulder in question which she is getting worked on.

I very much appreciate the advice!

t

alright... upon further questioning she says it feels 'weak' after about four reps.  There is no pain and it feels weak at the top of the arm where the shoulder connects.  She is curious if it's a specific muscle or not.  I'm leaning toward the time/tension thing along with mobility/flexibility.  Her other arm is fine and can Press/GU more.  That doesn't really surprise me.  If the one shoulder is being worked on and has issues, the other will most likely be stronger.

I appreciate the help!

One of the  "weird" things about the GU is that it is the only move where my left side is stronger than my right.

GU's have always been stronger than my Press, once I get the arm locked I can handle the 32 and move smoothly, however I can't strictly Press the same sized bell strictly.

Interesting discussion, I like it.

Hey Jon, I feel the same about the TGU, right side (dominant side) appears weaker and I posted about this recently to check if it's odd.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom