all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU vs RKC TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

strongo

Level 1 Valued Member
I started learning Turkish get-ups a week or so ago, yes I know a bit late to the party but better late than never right? I've been concentrating on bw work but now would like to start introducing some weighted moves.

So I've been looking at videos to learn form and thought I was getting the move down... till I saw a vid showing what seems to be the RKC method, the main difference apparently being the extended hip/bridge while the non-weighted hand is on the ground.
This looks dandy but what benefits is it conferring compared to no hip extension?

Another question - I haven't had a proper look but does PT demonstrate the get-up in any of his books?

4:40 into this should help you fella. This seems to be the way Strong First are liking the TGU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qB0nILpko

Both have their benefits but I like the old school was as in this video... never much cared for the high hip version.

Greg,

Great question. Gray Cook once remarked that the get up can be treated as a movement (unweighted), an exercise (done multiple times with a light to moderate weight)  or a lift (one rep with a heavy weight).

StrongFirst has chosen to treat the get up as a lift.

Now, an unweighted get up with hip extension is a great screening tool; can the athlete extend his or her hips in a fairly equal manner? Screens are good and it's always a great idea to move someone from a screened, unweighted movement to a moderately weighted exercise before stepping in to a significantly weighted lift.

Our position is, once you know what the athlete's ability is, the time for screening is over and, if they have the requisite mobility/ability to handle the get up, move them in to a weighted lift as soon and as safely as possible.

Personally, I do the high bridge when performing get ups with presses at each of seven positions within the get up itself. The high bridge gives me a chance to sneak in three extra reps.

Thanks for the link Richard, will check it from home later.

Mark - have I understood your last paragraph correctly, you perform a shoulder press at the various pausible points of a get-up?! Evil, I like!

Well, the TGU is covered in ETK, but the description is cut short after sitting up, with "get up any safe way you can", but there are photos of the full get up.

There are a lot of good videos on YouTube discussing and demonstrating the Kalos Sthenos style.

Personally, I like that style, and usually hold the high bridge for a few seconds.

Thanks Mike, that looks interesting - will view it later from home.

I found the get-up in ETK... one page, 3 photos, hardly a paragraph and an instruction to watch the DVD. No wonder I missed it first time around.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom