all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thanks so much

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eric Wilson

Level 6 Valued Member
I picked up my first kettlebell about 12 months ago, after about two months of working with dumbbells, before which I was mainly sedentary for decades. I was intrigued by this exercise I had heard about, called "swings".

I bought Simple & Sinister, and some more KBs a few months later.

In the last 12 months I have gone from:
- completely ignorant of all things kettlebell
- clueless about exercise programming
- very weak (could press a 20lb dumbbell, barely)
- poorly conditioned
- extremely skinny (124 lbs at 5' 9" -- down from high school weight of 140 lbs)
- two month history of training 3/week

To
- able to do (and enjoy) all the major kettlebell exercises
- somewhat informed about programming (loving ROP currently)
- much stronger (pressing strength nearly doubled)
- in much better condition
- 10 lbs heavier (still skinny, but 10 lbs of muscle is no joke for my body type)
- a habit of training 5/week over the last year

I want to thank the StrongFirst community for the part that you've played. I've learned so much from articles I've read here and discussions here on the forum. I've particularly benefited from discussions in which there was disagreement -- some of these discussions went longer than I expected, and many provided more benefit to me than I expected, as I came to understand different peoples experiences and perspectives.

I'm sure I'll have questions in the future, and I'll probably post some form-check videos in the coming months. But for now I just want to thank everyone for the patience and thoughtfulness that I've received in response to my (sometimes cranky) questions.

Last edited:
Humble beginnings are common here and this community gets out of its way to help initiates like you and me. We don't thank them often enough.

Just to give you a heads up of what's in your future: I started S&S getups with 5 lb dumbbells. I currently do them with 90 lb sandbags, with a clean before and carry after each rep.

Humble beginnings are common here and this community gets out of its way to help initiates like you and me. We don't thank them often enough.

Just to give you a heads up of what's in your future: I started S&S getups with 5 lb dumbbells. I currently do them with 90 lb sandbags, with a clean before and carry after each rep.
I can't visualize a clean and a carry before and after each TGU rep. I'm curious!

I picked up my first kettlebell about 12 months ago, after about two months of working with dumbbells, before which I was mainly sedentary for decades. I was intrigued by this exercise I had heard about, called "swings".

I bought Simple & Sinister, and some more KBs a few months later.

In the last 12 months I have gone from:
- completely ignorant of all things kettlebell
- clueless about exercise programming
- very weak (could press a 20lb dumbbell, barely)
- poorly conditioned
- extremely skinny (124 lbs at 5' 9" -- down from high school weight of 140 lbs)
- two month history of training 3/week

To
- able to do (and enjoy) all the major kettlebell exercises
- somewhat informed about programming (loving ROP currently)
- much stronger (pressing strength nearly doubled)
- in much better condition
- 10 lbs heavier (still skinny, but 10 lbs of muscle is no joke for my body type)
- a habit of training 5/week over the last year

I want to thank the StrongFirst community for the part that you've played. I've learned so much from articles I've read here and discussions here on the forum. I've particularly benefited from discussions in which there was disagreement -- some of these discussions went longer than I expected, and many provided more benefit to me than I expected, as I came to understand different peoples experiences and perspectives.

I'm sure I'll have questions in the future, and I'll probably post some form-check videos in the coming months. But for now I just want to thank everyone for the patience and thoughtfulness that I've received in response to my (sometimes cranky) questions.
You remind me a lot of me.

I can't visualize a clean and a carry before and after each TGU rep. I'm curious!

What I meant is clean - reverse getup - carry. Here's how I go about it for each rep:
1. hike the sandbag and clean to shoulder
2. get down and settle for a second with back flat on the ground
3. roll to elbow without leg-kick momentum and get up
4. walk for 30 ft
5. drop the bag and take a breather

The actual getup is the least demanding move between the tough clean and the carry finisher.

10 lbs heavier (still skinny, but 10 lbs of muscle is no joke for my body type)
I doubt that is all muscle. Half of it would still be very good. Getting the number as precisely as possible = good information for setting future goals

Congrat for the progress.

As classy a post as I’ve seen, @Eric Wilson . You are persistent; that is the most important thing. Just keep showing up and you’ll keep progressing. And there is almost always someone on this forum who has stood about where you are and heard the right bit of advice. Five of us might say the same thing but one SFG words it the way that “clicks.”

May I ask what make of sandbag you're using? And if you like their quality. Thx. Pretty impressive getup & carry.

As classy a post as I’ve seen, @Eric Wilson . You are persistent; that is the most important thing. Just keep showing up and you’ll keep progressing. And there is almost always someone on this forum who has stood about where you are and heard the right bit of advice. Five of us might say the same thing but one SFG words it the way that “clicks.”
Totally agree. I've told Eric before that he's inspirational to me.

May I ask what make of sandbag you're using? And if you like their quality. Thx. Pretty impressive getup & carry.

Thanks.

My goal is to be able to heave and carry a 50Kg cement bag or rice bag with little drama or psyching. So I'll continue incrementing the weight till I can clean and carry 130lb for reps.

I have a Rep Fitness medium size and a Rogue large size. I have both filled with pea gravel.

Rep Fitness is a lot cheaper, comes with two filler bags, and works just as well as the Rogue for my use considering I throw them down on a heavily carpeted basement subfloor. I have 70 lb in it which is at the top practical limit... already a bit stiff.

Rep Fitness is out of sandbags for months now so decided to get the Rogue. I ordered it with the funnel bag, which causes the fill material to shift too much unless it's at near capacity. Should've opted for the multiple filler bags. It has 90 lb in it now with plenty of room to add more.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom