all posts post new thread

The 2024 Squat Big Plates For Reps Challenge!

Meet in 11 days, first time squatting 100 kg in probably 2 years. was slow but didn't stop.

Have been squatting only semi-regularly since last Fall - did a couple of months, took the next couple of months off, and back at it for the last 6 weeks, basically just adding 5 kg to the heaviest single once a week. On March 5, was 70 kg.

Maybe I go 95, 102.5, 110 at the meet. Maybe. Lifetime PR is 107.5.

NB: Bar is 25 kg sq bar, so 37.5 on each end, not 40. Body is 69 years old, 70 kg today, 67.5 kg in 10 days.

-S-

Excellent squat!

What does your taper look like pre meet?

I noticed that, the more years I've been squatting, even if it's on and off, the quicker it comes back.

@silveraw, for deadlifts I stop going heavy quite a ways out - I might do this Thursday, which would be 9 days out, or I might skip it. 11-12 days out is about right for me. The other two lifts are not really heavy, they're just technique dependent since I don’t them as much - for this meet, I'm going to play those by ear. Plan is BP heavy tomorrow, then DL a day or two later, and then we'll see how I feel.

-S-

Nice work metaldrummer! I think 315 is in you with a better set up and a good psyche.

You're kind of GMing the weight out of the rack - get your feet under the bar, squat it up, then take 2 or 3 steps to back out into position and go.
Thx. I guess I'm not used to unracking with a low bar position. Maybe I'll go watch some videos later. Lol

You're kind of GMing the weight out of the rack - get your feet under the bar, squat it up, then take 2 or 3 steps to back out into position and go.
@Boris Bachmann and the rest of us, his head and neck look awfully far forward to me. I know some of that has to happen, but I'm wondering if a bit of "neck packing" might help him sort out his bar placement issues.

-S-

@Boris Bachmann and the rest of us, his head and neck look awfully far forward to me. I know some of that has to happen, but I'm wondering if a bit of "neck packing" might help him sort out his bar placement issues.

-S-
Yeah, could be. I think packing the neck helps me maintain an upright enough position. and I find it's pretty easy to find yourself in a neck craning position especially w. low bar if you're not careful.

Posture in general is one of those things people don't give the attention it deserves - some foam rolling and doorway stretches (or chest openers w. a TRX) are good juju for me.
Screenshot 2023-08-09 12.28.47 PM.png

I'm just not starting (the unrack) under the bar it looks like. I'll try to make sure my feet are actually under the bar next time.

I almost forgot, one problem is I need to put the pins at least one hole lower. I couldn't figure out why I keep hitting the safeties when they're exactly where I usually have them, but then it occurred to me that the bar is lower on my back. ROFL

Looks good to me. You might try getting a little closer to standing up straight (full extension) at the top of each rep. Not a big deal though. SFL manual recommends at lockout, "bring the hips forward, squeezing the glutes hard and pulling the kneecaps up." but also, "It is not possible to fully lock out the hips as one would in front and zercher squats as you would dump the bar. Extend the hips as much as safely possible." The squat itself looks balanced, coordinated, good depth, good effort. I look for pressure on the feet changing as an indicator of balance, and yours are solid, feet are not moving around. Bar path is nice and straight, too.

You don't appear to take a big breath before each rep -- looks more like a small/regular breath and hold. So you might play with that and see if that helps more. Big breath and brace abs before each descent, and keep abs TIGHT throughout.

Walkout is better -- only 6 total steps now. :)

As far as neck position, try to make a double chin. At SFL we actually held a tennis ball under the chin to the neck, if I remember correctly. But I'm not sure which squat variation that was.

Looks good to me. You might try getting a little closer to standing up straight (full extension) at the top of each rep. Not a big deal though. SFL manual recommends at lockout, "bring the hips forward, squeezing the glutes hard and pulling the kneecaps up." but also, "It is not possible to fully lock out the hips as one would in front and zercher squats as you would dump the bar. Extend the hips as much as safely possible." The squat itself looks balanced, coordinated, good depth, good effort. I look for pressure on the feet changing as an indicator of balance, and yours are solid, feet are not moving around. Bar path is nice and straight, too.

You don't appear to take a big breath before each rep -- looks more like a small/regular breath and hold. So you might play with that and see if that helps more. Big breath and brace abs before each descent, and keep abs TIGHT throughout.

Walkout is better -- only 6 total steps now. :)

As far as neck position, try to make a double chin. At SFL we actually held a tennis ball under the chin to the neck, if I remember correctly. But I'm not sure which squat variation that was.

Thx... I think when I'm doing a sub maximal weight I tend to maybe not take as big of a breath than if I was doing say heavy singles, but I can assure you I'm bracing. Lol I guess the neck thing is my next thing to clean up. A lot of this stuff I've literally never even thought about because I'm so used to lifting on my own. Thx again. :D

Did this today - 315lb + some chains. Pretty happy with it. Felt strong even though that sciatica thing is still a thing, and I don't think I've done 315+chain high bar in 20-ish years. I will force myself to chill for the next couple of weeks and focus on accessory work and hopefully improve things in the right hip/hammy.

Not sure what I love more, the chains or the Air Supply in the background. I think it's important to express strength when calm. Nice lift!

Back
Top Bottom