all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Aerobic Burpee - Promising Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
Pavel's How to Train Against a Virus came in handy these past two weeks. Recently someone at my office had tested positive for COVID and all of us were on fourteen days of quarantine. For my strength and conditioning work I was fortunate to have my kettlebell set (1x 40KG, 2x 32KG, 2x24KG, and 2x16KG) bells on hand and utilized @Fabio Zonin's Simple Strength Protocol Part One for aforementioned two weeks.

I took care of my conditioning via swings and the burpee from Pavel's Virus article. I wanted to try that concept out and figured my quarantine was the perfect time to do so. I ran three sessions of the aerobic burpee each in the afternoons offset from the strength work in the morning from Simple Strength, all of which were a half hour in duration whilst wearing a heart rate monitor.

For the 'session' itself I would do a single burpee, walk across my living room to my front door and back again and rinse and repeat until the thirty minute timer was up. The following are my initial impressions

1. My heart rate only went above my Maffetone threshold (143 BPM) on one session (the third and last session)
  2. Rate of perceived exertion was a 6 or maybe a 7 out of a 10.
  3. Jury is still out as to whether my two weeks of no long endurance runs/rucks was affected by the two weeks of quarantine. I shall see on Saturday which is my first long run since quarantine.
  4. The StrongFirst Burpee is definitely going into my kitbag in case I have to deal with quarantine, or I'm in a place where running/rucking for my LSD work isn't feasible.
Thanks again Pavel, and StrongFirst for giving us yet another good, solid, treatment of training.

Hello,

@LoneRider
In the Instagram post regarding the "StrongFirst Burpee", there was this protocol:
- Counting loudly without breathing until we need to stop because we can not properly articulate. This is some kind of talk test (TT)
- If TT is inferior to 25s, we will rest during 40-50% of the TT duration
- If TT is superior to 25, we will rest during 30-40% of the TT duration
So if you your TT is 24s, then, you will rest 24 x 40% = 9,5s
So you will do 2 burpees, then rest 9,5s, then do 2 burpees, then rest 9,5s, etc...during 30 minutes (or as long you can keep this nice pace)

In all cases, burpees will at least maintain some of the cardio-vascular benefits of running. It will not really "replace" because the mechanics remain different but it will prevent you to be out of breathe when you'll run again.

If you perform a burpee routine while already following a running routine, assuming you recover well, even a tiny number of burpees will make your running better. This is at least what I have noticed.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@LoneRider
In the Instagram post regarding the "StrongFirst Burpee", there was this protocol:
- Counting loudly without breathing until we need to stop because we can not properly articulate. This is some kind of talk test (TT)
- If TT is inferior to 25s, we will rest during 40-50% of the TT duration
- If TT is superior to 25, we will rest during 30-40% of the TT duration
So if you your TT is 24s, then, you will rest 24 x 40% = 9,5s
So you will do 2 burpees, then rest 9,5s, then do 2 burpees, then rest 9,5s, etc...during 30 minutes (or as long you can keep this nice pace)

In all cases, burpees will at least maintain some of the cardio-vascular benefits of running. It will not really "replace" because the mechanics remain different but it will prevent you to be out of breathe when you'll run again.

If you perform a burpee routine while already following a running routine, assuming you recover well, even a tiny number of burpees will make your running better. This is at least what I have noticed.

Kind regards,

Pet'
That is what was missing in my new plan. Thanks @pet'
But, are there (on instagram, I don't have an account there) more detailed plan regarding Burpees? I mean, how many I should do them and how long a single session should last?

Last edited:
Hello,

@mikhael
Below is the copy paste of what is written for this post on Instagram. I hope it will help you:

[ARTICLE] A person who desires to be anti-fragile must train his or her cardiovascular and respiratory systems. If you prefer to get your “cardio” while lifting—or you are stuck indoors because of the quarantine—avoid “grinds” and go explosive. A “weight” does not have to be a barbell or a; it can be your own weight. To use the burpee as an example, you will need to make two radical changes from the way it is done in “metcon” gyms to make it aerobic. First, pop up like a spring. Second, rest between reps long enough to sustain an aerobic effort for over 30 minutes. The exercise will be aerobic if you can pass the talk test before every rep, until the very end, so adjust your rest periods accordingly.

How can accurately measure your own personal daily talk test to keep some measure of consistency from one training session to another and as a way to make sure you are using an accurate rate of perceived exertion for each session? Paul Tracogna shares his insights

PRIOR to your session, measure your initial Resting Counting Talk Test [CTT(rest)] as a baseline. Count numbers aloud until you need to stop and take a breath (today my CTT(rest) was 23, spoken as one thousand, two thousand, etc.)
-
Several studies show that for individuals with a CTT(rest)<25, moderate to vigorous intensity exercise—as recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine HRR guidelines—could be achieved by exercising at a level of 40-50% CTT(rest). For individuals with a CTT(rest) ≥25, exercising at a level of 30-40% CTT(rest) would place them in the moderate to vigorous exercise intensity range.
-
In the video, I am working at a rate of 40% CTT(rest)—9s—spoken aloud between reps. The first few minutes usually feel easy, so I did double burpees. When I felt like I was starting to struggle at my 40%, I changed to singles, still with 40% CTT(rest). At the end of 5 minutes of work, I was at 145bpm and I could have maintained that pace for 30 minutes with the same power.
-
Personally, I believe it is better to find your pace for 30 minutes with the appropriate CTT(rest) % for you rather than doing a shorter time (less rest between reps) with a lower percentage and having to stop. In that case you were clearly not aerobic.
-
Alternately you can set up an interval timer to go off every 9s or whatever CTT(rest)% you are using for the day. That way, you don’t have to count every rep; you could just check in at the top of the minute or every couple to make sure you are still on track.

Kind regards,

Pet'

So, if I got it right, at first I have to perform CTT(rest) by counting aloud reps (one thousand, two thousdans, etc) after deep inhale? Than, do 1-2 reps evry X% CTT? Correct me if I'm wrong @pet'

Hello,

@mikhael
Yes, you are correct.
Step 1: CTT (rest) (as you described)
Step 2: 1-2 reps / % CTT rest / 1-2 reps / % CTTrest / and so on

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pretty simple, will try it tomorrow morning and incorporate into my new plan. @pet' would you peek on it in my thread?

Last edited:
Hello,

The burpee is not a strength move per se. Whether we consider the SF burpee or the regular one, this is more a power move / conditioning move.

By doing it, you will gain stamina but not really strength.

If you do retro-engineering on it, to gain strength, it may be better to train towards:
- OAP
- Pistol
- Core

Kind regards,

Pet'

How have you found results, in the way of strength etc?

Richard

@Ricky01, I used Fabio Zonin's Simple Strength program and the swing protocol Pavel wrote in that article for the vast majority of my strength work during that quarantine. I got back into my Wendler 5/3/1 routine with no problems about two weeks ago.

Thanks for the answers.

My reason for asking was b/c - during lockdown a couple of rugby buddies decided to go back to the training we used in our competitive rugby days.

There was a selection of sprints, shuttle runs, tire flips/drags, burpees/squat thrusts.

One of them said that the only one he could regularly implement was the burpee or squat thrust.

He approached this in various ways:
GTG
AMRAP in eg 5 minutes

He tried them both. He tried to alternate burpee and squat thrust days, but said that when he retested certain movements he was stronger. There was no before/after data as he was just doing what he could, when faced with prolonged time at home.

Intersting though.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom