all posts post new thread

"The Best All-Around Training Method EVER"- 6 months in, I'd say YES!!!!!

Thanks for this feedback/report. May I ask your prior KB experience before you have started the program or the prior KB experience of the “old man” , 16-18 yos are just like supermen learning and improving in light speed…
i've been doing KB since 2007- i've been through the viking warrior program in 2009, did simple and sinister for about 5 months in 2013-2014 after a season of ultramarathons... and in 2020 i did quick and the dead for about 11 months...

i like the perspective that the Victor guy has talked about and my training is patterned after something similar... now as i approach 50, i'm interested in figuring out what panoply of skills i want to maintain for a long (20+ years)- this seems like a valuable part of that

Thank you for taking the time to elaborate. It sounds like an exciting approach to Brett Jones' Iron Cardio formula - just based on a methodology that follows the PlanStrong method more closely. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!
"for example, day 1 might be 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 24kg, 3 reps 32kg, top and bottom of the minute, repeated for up to 60 min(total of 360 reps)- always aerobic, following the strong first rule of 5
or 62 for 2 for up to 60 minutes-"

Thank you for taking the time to elaborate. It sounds like an exciting approach to Brett Jones' Iron Cardio formula - just based on a methodology that follows the PlanStrong method more closely. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Notice any physical results? You're obviously stronger and more conditioned, well done.
Body comp and hypertrophy - did they change significantly, or waist get bigger due to the exercise etc.

Everyone, if you've used Kettlebells StrongFirst, either in the article we published here or the program on strongandfit.com, it would be great if you'd go to

and post a review.

-S-

today's pattern was tough but fruitful
basically a ladder of 1,2, 3 rounds in a row interspersed with 2 rest rounds

so... 32kg for 3 x 1 round, 2 rounds of 53x2, 32x3 for 2 rounds, 2 rounds of 53x2, 32x3 for 3 rounds, 2 rounds of 53x2

total of 5 ladders of this, just over an hour including 5 minute warm up...

goal is to build work capacity and comfort of the 32kgx3- i suppose the goal would be 32kgx3 for 30 rounds... that would feel like an accomplishment, especially if it could be done keeping the heart rate around 150 or less...

anyone else have any experience with this protocol? i'm really seeing major progress

Great review,
Questions for @don fannucci:

1. What body comp results are you seeing with this protocol?
2. Are you doing anything else? and if yes
3. Are you seeing any athletic carryover from this?

Thanks!

Great review,
Questions for @don fannucci:

1. What body comp results are you seeing with this protocol?
2. Are you doing anything else? and if yes
3. Are you seeing any athletic carryover from this?

Thanks!
Not Don, but I have been alternating 6 week blocks of 044 snatches and double LC KBSF since January.

1. Body weight has decreased slowly, but waist size has decreased significantly and I have made obvious muscle mass gains.
2. Hike/ruck.
3. Absolutely, the KB work helps #2.

1) body comp- definitely thicker in shoulders/back... i'm a big guy 6'5" 235 or so... but folks have commented that i look bigger, which is fine (not really interested in specific body comp other than health)

2) i train a lot for OCR type stuff- so running and climbing and crawling- all of that is on the other days of the week

3) athletic carryover is profound- i played hoops for the first time in a number of years and absolutely crushed it- i was moving well, sliding great on defense, and generally running all day... conditioning for that was outstanding (stop start, sprints, etc) no problem- running is better as is basically everything else... as it gets warm i'll mix and match this with some running with the protocol- i imagine that is the best of both worlds

i am of the opinion that this kind of training is highly parasympathetic- which ties into the flow state stuff (Csikszentmihalyi, Kotler, etc) that highlights exponential physical and mental growth- this is repeatable, scalable, and touches everything that you would want for an athlete, aging and physical prowess... i feel like i can run all day, lift very heavy weights when ever i want and physically dominate someone on an athletic field... and this seems to be the general consensus of the seven or so folks who have been on this journey with me

for instance a friend who is a runner (also KB enthusiast and OCR guy)- 47 y/o- just set a PR on a difficult trail run- 7.5 miles- that he has run 3 or 4 times in the past- he's been doing this protocol for the last few months and seeing similar gains... 14 y/o boy (8th grader) who weighs 114 pounds just last night 1 handed clean and jerked a 60lb dumbell over his head- and he is still very early in physical maturation... as he gets older and more mature, i'm very interested in seeing what physical stature he will develop-

also, NO injuries by anyone or even any soreness... this training also seems to tie into the proper pace of tendon/ligament strength (see Brooks Kubik and Dinosaur Training)... this feels like this will also positively effect longevity and physical stature

basically everyone is getting better at everything all at once... this is special

i'd love to hear Pavel or any of the other StrongFirst gurus chime in on this conversation- i've been in the fitness game for a long time and have never quite been through something so extraordinary

Not Don, but I have been alternating 6 week blocks of 044 snatches and double LC KBSF since January.

1. Body weight has decreased slowly, but waist size has decreased significantly and I have made obvious muscle mass gains.
2. Hike/ruck.
3. Absolutely, the KB work helps #2.
Are you doing it twice a week?

1) body comp- definitely thicker in shoulders/back... i'm a big guy 6'5" 235 or so... but folks have commented that i look bigger, which is fine (not really interested in specific body comp other than health)

2) i train a lot for OCR type stuff- so running and climbing and crawling- all of that is on the other days of the week

3) athletic carryover is profound- i played hoops for the first time in a number of years and absolutely crushed it- i was moving well, sliding great on defense, and generally running all day... conditioning for that was outstanding (stop start, sprints, etc) no problem- running is better as is basically everything else... as it gets warm i'll mix and match this with some running with the protocol- i imagine that is the best of both worlds

i am of the opinion that this kind of training is highly parasympathetic- which ties into the flow state stuff (Csikszentmihalyi, Kotler, etc) that highlights exponential physical and mental growth- this is repeatable, scalable, and touches everything that you would want for an athlete, aging and physical prowess... i feel like i can run all day, lift very heavy weights when ever i want and physically dominate someone on an athletic field... and this seems to be the general consensus of the seven or so folks who have been on this journey with me

for instance a friend who is a runner (also KB enthusiast and OCR guy)- 47 y/o- just set a PR on a difficult trail run- 7.5 miles- that he has run 3 or 4 times in the past- he's been doing this protocol for the last few months and seeing similar gains... 14 y/o boy (8th grader) who weighs 114 pounds just last night 1 handed clean and jerked a 60lb dumbell over his head- and he is still very early in physical maturation... as he gets older and more mature, i'm very interested in seeing what physical stature he will develop-

also, NO injuries by anyone or even any soreness... this training also seems to tie into the proper pace of tendon/ligament strength (see Brooks Kubik and Dinosaur Training)... this feels like this will also positively effect longevity and physical stature

basically everyone is getting better at everything all at once... this is special

i'd love to hear Pavel or any of the other StrongFirst gurus chime in on this conversation- i've been in the fitness game for a long time and have never quite been through something so extraordinary
Great. Thanks for the detailed response!

lol it's posts like this that get me program hopping. Congrats on your results!

One more question about this:
Is there any advantage to doing singles one day, and doubles another?

I did a double session today. 16K times two. I got through 30 relatively easy, so I was thinking about adding the second clean on my next session. But would there be an advantage to going up to 20k and doing a session with a single? Or should I stick with the doubles? Is there more advantage are doing the doubles?

One more question about this:
Is there any advantage to doing singles one day, and doubles another?

I did a double session today. 16K times two. I got through 30 relatively easy, so I was thinking about adding the second clean on my next session. But would there be an advantage to going up to 20k and doing a session with a single? Or should I stick with the doubles? Is there more advantage are doing the doubles?
Any reason why you can’t just do the full 2A (or also potentially 2B) program with double 16s and then when you’ve finished test your single bell LCCJ and pick a 6-12RM bell to run through the 1A and 1B program?

Any reason why you can’t just do the full 2A (or also potentially 2B) program with double 16s and then when you’ve finished test your single bell LCCJ and pick a 6-12RM bell to run through the 1A and 1B program?
No there is not. I just wonder if I miss out on anything by only doing doubles. I'm probably overthinking it and I should just go with the program as is. I might just do some turkish get ups or singles on my deload week.

Congratulations on getting mentioned in the newsletter! This post pushed me over the edge and I’m going to make this my next program when I’m done the one I’m on.

A quick question about A+A: it always seems to come with the recommendation of doing it twice a week with plenty of energy left over for other pursuits. But if it’s my only training program I know I’ll have a hard time with only working out twice a week.

What other type of exercise would go well with the A+A C&J program?

Would it be okay to do it three times a week?

Would it work if I did this program twice a week and the twice a week A+A Swing protocol described in the recent newsletter?

Three or four workouts a week (ideally three) has worked for me for a long time and I’m having a tough time wrapping my head around just twice a week.

Thanks for your post!

I have been doing an optional, A+A swing session in addition to 2 LCC&J sessions per week with good results. The only way to really know is to try it for a while and see what happens.

Congratulations on getting mentioned in the newsletter! This post pushed me over the edge and I’m going to make this my next program when I’m done the one I’m on.

A quick question about A+A: it always seems to come with the recommendation of doing it twice a week with plenty of energy left over for other pursuits. But if it’s my only training program I know I’ll have a hard time with only working out twice a week.

What other type of exercise would go well with the A+A C&J program?

Would it be okay to do it three times a week?

Would it work if I did this program twice a week and the twice a week A+A Swing protocol described in the recent newsletter?

Three or four workouts a week (ideally three) has worked for me for a long time and I’m having a tough time wrapping my head around just twice a week.

Thanks for your post!
In the questions after the “best method ever” article Pavel answered about three times a week. Not sure if this is of any interest to you.

d0884026b0cfa97a45ec7445a7380349
Johnnie Hall says:
February 23, 2022 at 9:36 am
Pavel, thank you for this wonderful program.
I just finished my first week of Plan A and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
My question: I love this routine so far and I am thinking of adding another day (training 3x a week instead of 2x a week) but I am wondering if it would it be more beneficial for GPP to just add a day (or 2) of heavy swings instead to have some of the benefits that Swings provide.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with the world!
Johnnie

Back
Top Bottom