all posts post new thread

Old Forum The best move heavy weights as fast as possible in grinds

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lawless

Level 1 Valued Member
Recently I have been reading the excellent Deadlift Dynatemite book by Pavel & Andy Bolton & I was blown away with how packed the book is with information to take someone who hasn't stepped foot into a TRUE strength training gym before & give them everything they need to answer all those questions in their mind on programme design, selection of exercises, avoiding injury, stretching, diet, & how to keep improving week by week & year by year.

If anyone has read this book or seen a video of how Andy Bolton lifts you will know that he is an explosive lifter & moves heavy weights as fast as possible while still adhering to full body tension to prevent power leakage  & never too fast that it sacrifices form or cause hyper extension.  This makes perfect sense as you would want to finish a lift with a back breaking load as fast as possible to eliminate as much time as you can under the weight.  Would you rather spend 3-4 seconds under weight that could break your back or 8-10 seconds?

Every video I have watched  on someone who has cleaned & pressed the beast & above seem to employ the same technique.  As soon as they clean they take the energy from the clean, redirect the force into the floor through the feet & as the energy springs back up through the body they explode with weight as fast as possible.  The weight might not be moving  fast  but the intention is there.  The weight is being grinded on because of the sheer weight!  Not because they are intentionally going slow with a weight they could move faster.

Bearing this in mind as Pavel points out it would be a big mistake to take someone who has never lifted before & expect them to lift in this manner.  Most people would be lifting fast at the expense of tension & probably be hyperextending .  So it make sense that you should always learn a lift in a controlled manner employing the tension drills & once you have that down you start increasing the speed.

I can really see no point for anyone that has mastered or has the technique in a lift down to a good standard & knows how to employ total body tension with no leakages lift a weight purposely slow.  It reminds me of all that super slow stuff that completely died out years ago.  Where people were intentionally grinding on weight that your Nan could lift.  All it did was make you good at producing lactic acid.  Because when they went back to trying to move something heavier when they started the super slow stuff they couldn't.  End of the day the only thing they achieved was they became more efficient at producing more lactic acid.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this on the forum.  Some people swear by moving a weight intentionally slow where others move it fast under complete control with total body tension.

I love the Dan John quote of "up fast down slow". Never fast on the expense of tightness though.

Thank you for your kind words, Matt!

There is also a very technical discussion of explosive lifting vs. grinding in the DL chapter of PTP Professional.

Is there any way to apply this to getups?  Possibly by moving quickly between positions while pausing at each position in order to keep the form intact?

You could break down the get up into 8 parts like Pat Flyn demonstated in one of his videos & go explosively to the next step, pause 5 seconds, explode to next step, pause 5 seconds explode again until step 8.  Wouldn't be appropriate on the way down though however if & when the rep goes bad you would probably bring the bell down into your face!  The get up for me would be one of the grinds I would never want to do explosive along with the windmill...for some reason it doesn't feel right.  Those two lifts really seem to build your confidence with a weight when doing it in a slow swagger.

It's me who should be thanking you Pavel!  Can't wait to receive my paperback copy of S & S.  Unfortunately haven't been able to train with kettlebells for a while through injury.  In some ways this is a blessing.....I am starting over again.  My mind is clear & empty.  the perfect place to start

Matt,

I like your question. I have spent a lot of time pressing KBs over the years, but only just recently began to have more of a barbell focus.  Your question got me thinking about how  I "felt" during double kb presses. Was I Intentionally  trying to  explode or move fast etc. And since double KB press was my best & most practiced lift what should be my take away that I apply to my barbell lifts, deadlift in particular. My take away right now is what I think Pavel mentions Gray Cook saying, "Heavy weight is instructive".  I practiced double beast press and after a lot of practice, I found what was right.   I never intentially tried to be fast or explode, the heavy weight taught me what was right. At the very basic level I am at in the deadlift I am thinking, the only thing I need to be thinking is "get tight".

Dan, I think your story could be made into an idea :)

btw, I think TGU should be done slow. Seems wrong to try to do them fast tbh, it's a static hold your moving. No real conectric and eccentric portion.

Gents, the get-up is an altogether different type of an exercise.  Move slow and steady and do not overthink.

I like the sfg level I cert video where Mark demonstrates the differwnt lifts.  It really helped. I wasn't putting my bent leg out as far as he did. I did that yesterday and it really helped.

I imagine that everyone has their own 'gear" when it comes to speed like everyone has their own 'groove' when they press.  Through perfect practice you will find what is the right tempo for you & your body type.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom