all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Burpee

If you’ve not seen it - Busy Dad Training (The Four Levels of the Busy Dad Program - busydadtraining.com) has some pretty good progressions. I can hit level 2 staying in my Maffetone zone most days of the week. I can get level 3 and sometimes level 4 by really pushing myself. But I like the steady pace vs. pushing myself in the mornings. I’d love to get to the graduation standard in my Maffetone zone. Maybe someday.

I’m not really tracking it to be honest. The number of 6 count burpees I can do in 20 minutes is going up. In the last month, I went from sets of 5 per minute to sets of 7 while staying in my Maffetone zone. If I ignore heart rate, I can usually do around 240 to 250 in 20 minutes (Generally get into sets of 30 or 40 with much longer rest before I go again).

Have you noticed any carryover into other activities? 250 easy burpees is impressive.

If you’ve not seen it - Busy Dad Training (The Four Levels of the Busy Dad Program - busydadtraining.com) has some pretty good progressions. I can hit level 2 staying in my Maffetone zone most days of the week. I can get level 3 and sometimes level 4 by really pushing myself. But I like the steady pace vs. pushing myself in the mornings. I’d love to get to the graduation standard in my Maffetone zone. Maybe someday.

That's really cool. That would pair really well with www.simplefit.org

I am not a fan of the CrossFit style of burpee. Sprawl to the ground then jump back up as quickly as you can. Not for me.

Literally a waste of time flopping around like that.

Just do jumping jacks.

Or if you want to be a little more hardcore, squat thrusts.

Literally a waste of time flopping around like that.

Just do jumping jacks.

Or if you want to be a little more hardcore, squat thrusts.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post, but yes the first method is a waste of time in my personal opinion. The second, and burpees similar to it, are the superior choice in my personal opinion.

I prefer the strict military burpee as well. The wrestlers sprawl is not the crossfit style though. This is one example, although a lot of times when i drill them i drop one hip down more than the other to simulate smashing their head/shot down to the mat hard with my hip.

I wasn't trying to call it a sprawl from grappling, I was trying to be nicer than saying "flop your nuts on the ground".

I was introduced to him by @strongandconditioned and his approach is very appealing. With a 20 minute investment and the strict nature of both this would definitely appeal to the SF crowd.

I mostly do 8 count bodybuilders but I have based my standards off of his. Because I'm doing 2 more counts than his 6 count burpees, I aim for 75% of what his levels are (e.g. for Level 2, 150 8 count burpees in 20 minutes is the goal). I was only doing them as a small part of my training and am close to Level 2 standards for both the 8 counts and the navy seals, but once my injury sorts itself out I plan on lasering in on them and a few other key exercises for a minimalist approach.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post, but yes the first method is a waste of time in my personal opinion. The second, and burpees similar to it, are the superior choice in my personal opinion.

I was agreeing your opinion on the first method.

I was agreeing your opinion on the first method.
Gotcha. You posted a video about squat thrusts being better so I wasn’t sure if you had watched the second video and that form in particular. We are definitely in agreement. If I want to see something flopping around on the ground, I’ll go fishing.

Hello,

I've run Busy Dad Program, mentioned by @justinr and went up to level 4 for both 6ct and NS.

That's really a good routine which can be tailored in function of our needs:
- Aerobic zone -> overall, less repetitions will be performed
- Interval or high(er) intensity -> overall, more repetitions will be performed but recovery will be longer

Max Edwards uses these two moves for different reasons and both go well hand in hand
- 6 ct will be excellent for overall conditioning (meaning cardio-vascular conditioning)
- NS will put more focus on the upperbody and will allow you to be stronger and more endurant for the push up portion of 6 ct

Point of attention 1 : one really reaps the benefits of burpees - 6ct or NS - while counting out loud the steps. It makes breathing harder.
Point of attention 2: on a daily basis, he does 10 strict dead hang pull ups to balance all the "push" he has from the burpees.

This strategy allows him to have a low 40 RHR, which is excellent for the relatively modest amount of time he puts into training. Avoiding the jump makes it easier on the joints on the long term, but also allows for more volume while securing a relatively easy recovery.

Combination of the two transfer well to rucking for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Gotcha. You posted a video about squat thrusts being better so I wasn’t sure if you had watched the second video and that form in particular. We are definitely in agreement. If I want to see something flopping around on the ground, I’ll go fishing.

I meant squat thrusts are better than Xfit sloppy burpees.

slurpees?

If you don’t mind me asking what else did you do when you did BDP? I just did the two test workouts, and planning on adding rogue echo bike and some pulling work to offset all the burpees.. any and all advice would be appreciated

If you don’t mind me asking what else did you do when you did BDP? I just did the two test workouts, and planning on adding rogue echo bike and some pulling work to offset all the burpees.. any and all advice would be appreciated
The man himself pointed out in a video I saw that he does some pull-ups as well.

Thank you. I have seen that as well. I was just curious what some other people have done who have done this program, if they followed verbatim or mixed/match and so forth.

Haven't done the program, but I've used Burpees with myself and my coaching clients (modified as needed).

If you have the requisite mobility and strength, then they are a great exercise for work capacity (conditioning).

I still recommend them when performed with excellent form.

Hello,

That's a great routine, but as always, it depends on what you are looking for. For instance, if strength is the goal, that's may not be the best choice.

Overall, it will give you great strength endurance and cardio vascular benefits. If you do it slow enough, it can be done in the aerobic zone, even if for such a purpose, doing it for longer than 20 minutes would be interesting.

It may also transfer well to a lot of activities. For example, I used it to prepare for ruck marhces and it worked well. Another good combination could be strength training and aerobic training (running). From a cardio vascular perspective, it can be an alternative to running or rowing or swimming, etc... That's great if you are on the go.

Adding pull ups is important - IMHO - to balance things out. Indeed, that's very push focus. Adding something like a minimum effective dose of strength (let's say a "daily dose" of all movement pattern) is something interesting. For instance, 1 set of 5 reps for squats, press, hinge (using whatever variation).

6ct will build up the cardio vascular system. This will help you to avoid gassing out durning NS sessions. NS session will build endurance in the upper body, which will help you during the 6ct session. These two moves help each other.

Kind regards,

Pet'

One of my favourites is a session which is ten rounds long from Iron Wolf and consists of 10 pullups, 20 dips, 10 chins, 30 flutterkicks and 25 2 pump burpees.

Last edited:
I've been looking for extra work to do during the week. I'm ~335lbs. should I stick to walking or is the burpee worth while for a big guy?

I've been looking for extra work to do during the week. I'm ~335lbs. should I stick to walking or is the burpee worth while for a big guy?
There are many better options including walking/hiking, loaded carries, sled/Prowler pushes and drags, and other body-weight and Kettlebell options that would be easier on your body until you get your weight down.

Back
Top Bottom