all posts post new thread

Off-Topic The Enhanced Games

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
The mind behind the 'doped Olympics' - Anyone know much about this & what the events might look like ? I read a funny science fiction story way back in the 80's about genetically enhanced athletes. The Mickey Mouse Olympics by Tom Sullivan, google will find it.

Am interested, given current knowledge of PEDs would you expect lots of dreadful consequences for the gold medal athletes involved and the new world deadlift records for men and women might be what ? +10kg +20kg or +100kg +200kg ?

Last edited:
the new world deadlift records for men and women might be what ?
I hate to shatter any illusions about the current deadlift world records...

But the current records are not held by "tested" athletes. Eddie Hall was 100% on a lot of drugs when he broke the 500kg barrier.

given current knowledge of PEDs would you expect lots of dreadful consequences for the gold medal athletes
I don't think the dreadful consequences would be with the gold medal athletes. Much like it is now in untested sports the dreadful consequences are in the high ranking amature levels. They don't have the genetic ability to get to the top of the pros via both genetic strength potential and genetic ability to handle PEDs.

I hate to invoke the name of Liver King, but he is a great example. He doesn't have the genes to be a top level athlete, so when his PED stack leaked people found that he was taking a lot more drugs than top level Mr Olympia athletes. CBUM has just plain better ability to respond to drugs. If LK doesn't die an early death due to organ failure i will be extremely surprised.

Arnold is still kicking well and did a ton of steroids, not even the "safer" kinds they have today. So is Kaz, Ronnie (his issues are more related to not taking doctors advice about not lifting heavy after back surgery), Dorian Yates, etc. To me at least it seems like the "died early due to drugs" crowd are the local competitors who had big dreams, bad genes, and tried to drug themselves out of it.

I hate to shatter any illusions about the current deadlift world records...

But the current records are not held by "tested" athletes. Eddie Hall was 100% on a lot of drugs when he broke the 500kg barrier.

I don't think the dreadful consequences would be with the gold medal athletes. Much like it is now in untested sports the dreadful consequences are in the high ranking amature levels. They don't have the genetic ability to get to the top of the pros via both genetic strength potential and genetic ability to handle PEDs.

I hate to invoke the name of Liver King, but he is a great example. He doesn't have the genes to be a top level athlete, so when his PED stack leaked people found that he was taking a lot more drugs than top level Mr Olympia athletes. CBUM has just plain better ability to respond to drugs. If LK doesn't die an early death due to organ failure i will be extremely surprised.

Arnold is still kicking well and did a ton of steroids, not even the "safer" kinds they have today. So is Kaz, Ronnie (his issues are more related to not taking doctors advice about not lifting heavy after back surgery), Dorian Yates, etc. To me at least it seems like the "died early due to drugs" crowd are the local competitors who had big dreams, bad genes, and tried to drug themselves out of it.
I would also suggest that higher level athletes will be able to afford (e.g. sponsors) to have their drug regimen and health well-monitored, and this can make a HUGE impact on health risks.

I would also suggest that higher level athletes will be able to afford (e.g. sponsors) to have their drug regimen and health well-monitored, and this can make a HUGE impact on health risks.
Oh for sure, although I think the price of “quality” consulting is dropping. 20 years ago amatures would build their own stack based on books written by not doctors. Now telemedicine consults with doctors outside the US is becoming more common.

Netflix has a few good documentaries on PED use that kind of show this.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I, personally, would be interested in an actually clean Olympics, just to see what’s possible without drugs. I just know that’ll never happen.
I would love to see competition where it was a known fact that everyone was playing by the same rule set. It's not so much the rules for me, rather it's the asterisks next to some results.

I'm sure this opens the cans of worms or gets going down the slippery slope, but I'll throw it out there anyways...

Was Lance Armstrong a cheater? Yes - he did not abide by the rule set that was set forth by UCI or the other governing bodies.

Would Lance Armstrong have demolished the field if everyone was clean? Yes - he competed against a field of athletes also not following the rule set.

I would love to see competition where it was a known fact that everyone was playing by the same rule set. It's not so much the rules for me, rather it's the asterisks next to some results.
Yeah, to me I think that’s the main thing. When I think of a competition, or at least some sort of gathering where people are getting together to see who can be the best at some thing, lift the most most, whatever, it seems to defeat the purpose if everyone is not starting from a mostly level playing field.

I get that there are always going to be nuances, and we could discuss those until we’re blue in the face, so to speak, but I would like to know what’s possible with just training and diet, for instance. No drugs, no supplements. Like, how far can the “common person” go?

I don’t hold ill-will against the guy, but that would be hugely ironic.
I mean... The list of guys selling unconventional diet advice that "cures" heart disease dying of heart disease is pretty long already. Its about time for someone selling a liver curing diet dying of a 100% preventable liver disease.

I mean... The list of guys selling unconventional diet advice that "cures" heart disease dying of heart disease is pretty long already. Its about time for someone selling a liver curing diet dying of a 100% preventable liver disease.
The top competitors of WSM and WSW are all juiced to the gills, and the sport seems to be more popular than ever.
Any opinion ?

I think I'm just going to toss one last opinion in this one:

In competition, people want to break records. What matters is breaking the record, winning, getting famous, pushing limits, whatever. Might it be cool to see what crazy things juiced up humans can do? Sure. I'm already amazed by the juiced up humans doing things I could never imagine myself doing. But I'm something of a "purist." I don't want to have to take pills/shots/whatever, and source them, and have to hide them or deal with potential social consequences of them. I also don't care if other people do. I just want to know that what I've accomplished was just through my own effort and dietary choices. It feels weird to think that if I built a lot of strength using PEDs, that I might lose a lot of it if I stopped. I think it's the "reliance" on them that personally bothers me.

Just imagine some of the record holders dropping all the PEDs and what their performances would be like. I know it's not easy to quantify exactly how much PEDs have benefited those people, but we know it did. Doesn't it seem like it would be disappointing to see their stats/numbers/whatever drop?

I guess that, for me, what I like about watching athletes do crazy things is the notion that if I trained the right way, I might be able to do something like that too. Finding out that they used a bunch of pharmaceuticals to help them get there just feels disapointing to me. But that's just my own opinion on it.

I've written here before about how I think PED use should just be transparent, as well as any negative consequences of their use that might arise (physically or socially, etc). Personally, I don't think we're going to see PED use slow down any time soon. An "enhanced games" is likely just going to increase their use, instead of separating users and non-users in different competitions. That already doesn't work.

The top competitors of WSM and WSW are all juiced to the gills, and the sport seems to be more popular than ever.
Any opinion ?
haha yeah, its fun to watch. Plus social media has made a huge improvement on building a community around it. That leads to more people doing strongman, which means more people interested in competing. Same with Xfit, even quiddich.

As for drug use... I think I covered that already.

Much like it is now in untested sports the majority of the dreadful consequences are in the high ranking amateur levels. They don't have the genetic ability to get to the top of the pros via both genetic strength potential and genetic ability to handle PEDs.
But yeah, hang around strongman shows enough you will learn a lot about two things. PEDs and CPAPs.

I'd imagine hanging around cyclists would be similar. Just minus the CPAPs.

Last edited:
This was literally the first post I saw on Instagram when I opened it about ten minutes ago. The timing couldn’t have been better. An interesting take on staying natural. Not one I’ve heard before, to be honest.

PEDs and CPAPs.

CPAPs ? ......... ie the machines that people use to prevent apneas occurring whilst they are asleep, or is there another meaning ? Google wasn't helpful on this apart from using CPAP machines to administer drugs in an aerosol format. Are elite athletes more likely to have sleep apnea ?

I did find this ....https://www.speedysticks.com/blog/the-link-between-sleep-apnea-and-sports-performance/

Back
Top Bottom